Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Can we make the tournament?

Refs aside (they were a complete joke) we played beyond horrendous and any team that commits 20 turnovers and goes 10 minutes without a point doesn?t deserve to win anything. Having said that, fuck Bo Boroski so hard, the guy is a disgrace and makes me miss Ed Hightower and TV Ted Valentine. Can?t wait to see our illustrious new commish Kevin Warren give the scumbag a raise. He makes Tim Donaghy look like Christ. Sorry but 1-5 with him doing our games and Wisconsin like 2-8 or something is not some random coincidence.

refs didn't help by any means, but we foul just way too much, most fouls in the big ten. our reputation has always been "football on hardwood" which does lead to more whistles. what sucks about this is that MD clutches and grabs on the perimeter all game but they drive and it's an auto foul. All that said, MD is a bad matchup for us, with a bunch of tweener size guys that can take the ball to the hole.

lineups have been baffling all year, I just don't see any situation where Hoggard should see the floor unless we're in major foul trouble. Gabe played 1 minute in the 2nd half, yes, he can't guard anyone but come on, he's not going to create a bunch of empty possessions like Hoggard. Gabe can drive, shoot, and rebound at least.

the game may end up not meaning all that much but the lineups are really frustrating. some guys get unlimited leash like Langford and others are pulled instantly when they make a mistake. Gabe Brown is getting the Nick Ward treatment

refs didn't help by any means, but we foul just way too much, most fouls in the big ten. our reputation has always been "football on hardwood" which does lead to more whistles. what sucks about this is that MD clutches and grabs on the perimeter all game but they drive and it's an auto foul. All that said, MD is a bad matchup for us, with a bunch of tweener size guys that can take the ball to the hole.

lineups have been baffling all year, I just don't see any situation where Hoggard should see the floor unless we're in major foul trouble. Gabe played 1 minute in the 2nd half, yes, he can't guard anyone but come on, he's not going to create a bunch of empty possessions like Hoggard. Gabe can drive, shoot, and rebound at least.

the game may end up not meaning all that much but the lineups are really frustrating. some guys get unlimited leash like Langford and others are pulled instantly when they make a mistake. Gabe Brown is getting the Nick Ward treatment

The lineups are ridiculous, I?m tired of 12 guys playing. Find 8 guys and stick with them. Totally agree on Hoggard, he adds nothing and I?m not sure he?s made a shot outside of the paint this year. I liked him getting some minutes in December/early January (and still think he might turn out fine) but I don?t want him either short of watts and Langford being in foul trouble or both absolutely gassed.

I also am confused on Brown getting shafted on minutes. He?s the only guy on this roster I trust shooting the 3 ball.

The lineups are ridiculous, I?m tired of 12 guys playing. Find 8 guys and stick with them. Totally agree on Hoggard, he adds nothing and I?m not sure he?s made a shot outside of the paint this year. I liked him getting some minutes in December/early January (and still think he might turn out fine) but I don?t want him either short of watts and Langford being in foul trouble or both absolutely gassed.

I also am confused on Brown getting shafted on minutes. He?s the only guy on this roster I trust shooting the 3 ball.

Hoggard had one or two good shifts when we were getting blown out at Minnesota, garbage time points. He's young, but I just don't see it. He came to MSU at a pudgy 232lbs, I've seen big men come in fat, but not guards. Hoggard just puts his head down and drives out of control to the basket, he doesn't defend, makes bad decisions. He's a guy that should red shirt, but he was forced into a role on this team this year.

We should roll with watts if he's good or bad, let him play through mistakes. Watts struggles (he's not a PG) but he at least defends and allows us to have better players on the floor. Watts-Langford/Brown will be superior to Hoggard and Watts/Langford/Brown.

No team that loses back-to-back games to NW and PSU should create a matchup problem for us, or anyone else for that matter.

As for Hoggard, hopefully he’ll be like Mark Montgomery when I was at MSU - you hated seeing him get time as a freshman but by senior year you hated when he had to come out of the game.

Last edited:
That’s funny.

Sparty should win/play in.

They’ve only lost one in row, and knocked off a #1 seed in the last regular season game.

The Bruins had four come from ahead losses/collapses to end the season, including the first round of the Pac 12 tourney.

I don’t see USC on the board – are they out of the field of 68, and the Bruins are in?

If so, that’s pretty fucked.

EDIT: My bad. Southern Cal is in as a 6 seed.

Last edited:
so did we make the tournament or do we have to win on Thursday to make the tournament? I'm thinking since we got an 11 seed we made the tournament but I'm not as sure about the 16s that have play-in games.

So now that we're sort of in, I'm gonna switch to bitching about our seed. How did we end up with a lower 11 seed than Syracuse and Utah State? Syracuse was supposedly further out on the bubble than we were and they haven't beaten a ranked team since Jan 23rd.

so did we make the tournament or do we have to win on Thursday to make the tournament? I'm thinking since we got an 11 seed we made the tournament but I'm not as sure about the 16s that have play-in games.

So now that we're sort of in, I'm gonna switch to bitching about our seed. How did we end up with a lower 11 seed than Syracuse and Utah State? Syracuse was supposedly further out on the bubble than we were and they haven't beaten a ranked team since Jan 23rd.

The only thing I can think of is UtahSt ended the year on a better run, and Syracuse lost to UVa - the ACC regular season champ - instead of a middling team like Maryland. plus both had better records (albeit against weaker schedules)

I imagine the selection committee looked at how MSU's season ended and felt annoyed that Sparty couldn't finish stronger, knowing they were under scrutiny for the last couple weeks as a bubble team.

EDIT: And I guess since technically you can win the tournament... you did make the tournament. Considering the teams that missed out this year, that is a solid achievement.

Since they implemented play-in games, has any play-in ever won more than two?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I can think of is UtahSt ended the year on a better run, and Syracuse lost to UVa - the ACC regular season champ - instead of a middling team like Maryland. plus both had better records (albeit against weaker schedules)

I imagine the selection committee looked at how MSU's season ended and felt annoyed that Sparty couldn't finish stronger, knowing they were under scrutiny for the last couple weeks as a bubble team.

EDIT: And I guess since technically you can win the tournament... you did make the tournament. Considering the teams that missed out this year, that is a solid achievement.

So beating 2 1 seeds and a 2 seed in the last couple weeks isn't finishing strong?

MSU is a two-sided coin. When flipped seven times in a row, (the number of games MSU will need to win to win the NC) landing on heads are 1 in 128. If they manage to do so, I will be the first to congratulate the Spartan faithful here.

All I really care about this year is getting credit for keeping the tournament appearance streak alive. Sure it would be nice to win every game, but at this point, tournament wins would be the gravy for this team and this season.

MSU is a two-sided coin. When flipped seven times in a row, (the number of games MSU will need to win to win the NC) landing on heads are 1 in 128. If they manage to do so, I will be the first to congratulate the Spartan faithful here.

I can see the first two being 50/50 but if the first two come up heads, we are going to need a coin with a few more than 2 sides to reflect the true odds of that.

It?$ a$ plain a$ the no$e on your face. A UCLA v MSU play in game?

The guy even basically just came out and admitted it.

I believe VCU was in a play in game in 2011 and they made a Cinderella run to the FF that year

I’m pissed were in the play in when the likes of Syracuse (best wins are UNC and VT, congratulations) and Utah State aren’t. I was definitely sweating that final region during the selection show. But at the end of the day they technically extended the streak so I can’t really bitch too much. UCLA is skidding though, and if we lose it will feel like a total asterisk on the tourney bid to not even advance to the real bracket.

I’m pissed were in the play in when the likes of Syracuse (best wins are UNC and VT, congratulations) and Utah State aren’t. I was definitely sweating that final region during the selection show. But at the end of the day they technically extended the streak so I can’t really bitch too much. UCLA is skidding though, and if we lose it will feel like a total asterisk on the tourney bid to not even advance to the real bracket.

Happy we made it it seems like this MSU/UCLA matchup is there for getting people to tune in. It would be a lot more exciting than USU/Syracuse, so that likely went into it. MSU had 5 quad 1 wins, USU/Syracuse combined for 3. 23 years in a row is impressive, 2nd longest active streak.

Last edited:
I?m pissed were in the play in when the likes of Syracuse (best wins are UNC and VT, congratulations) and Utah State aren?t. I was definitely sweating that final region during the selection show. But at the end of the day they technically extended the streak so I can?t really bitch too much. UCLA is skidding though, and if we lose it will feel like a total asterisk on the tourney bid to not even advance to the real bracket.

Having 11 seeds playing in is stupid. All of the 15s and 16s should be playing in for the right to play the 1 seeds.

Having 11 seeds playing in is stupid. All of the 15s and 16s should be playing in for the right to play the 1 seeds.

I actually feel bad for the 16 seed play in teams. You won your conference, to me you should almost be entitled to a round of 64 game as a result.

It’$ a$ plain a$ the no$e on your face. A UCLA v MSU play in game?

The guy even basically just came out and admitted it.

Speak for yourself. My nose is an exceptional nose, there is nothing plain about it!

Hopefully UCLA doesn't create matchup problems for us like some teams that can't beat NW or PSU do because I think we can beat BYU too. I say that only because it's BYU, I know nothing about them other than Jimmer Fredette is no longer on the team.

Edit: for shits and giggles I just looked him up - Fredette plays for the Shanghai Sharks which was once owned by a good friend of a good friend of mine. I actually met the guy once - my friend put me in touch with him for some advice on real estate in NY. Apparently he was a big deal in real estate and used his millions to buy the Sharks in his 30s - turns out the guy was a conman running a giant ponzi scheme and he ended up going to jail for fraud. I don't know if he ever really owned the Shanhai Sharks or not. Thankfully, neither my friend nor I ever invested with the guy. Anyway, that's my personal 6 degrees of Jimmer Fredette.

Last edited:
After looking over the brackets a few times, this looks like the weakest field I've ever seen. Too bad we don't have a legit point guard, a good big man, a couple kids that can shoot and more than 2 kids that play consistent defense. In other words, it's really too bad we suck because with the possible exceptions of Gonazaga and Baylor, I think this thing is wide open for any one of 12-14, maybe 16 teams. And I'm not convinced Gonzaga is an exception based on their history - I just haven't seen them play.

Out of the B1G I like Illinois, maybe OSU and that's about it. Not to take anything away from the wolverines but I doubt that team could get a 2 seed in any season in the last 10+ years and without Livers, even in a weak field I think they're the first 1 seed out.

Back