Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Delmon Young

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Mr. Young

Welcome to the Jimmy Leyland Clown show.

Unfortunately Delmon Young is much more likely to have some, if not much of the bad karma rub off on him from some of the Tigers defensive and/or offensive scrubs, and long-past over-the-hill (at near light speed) vets, than those who aren't, and of course unfortunately falling under the coaching tutelage of the one named "LLegendary Lloyd McClendon"... :(.

For those that put stock in intangibles, Young has a history of being kind of a jerk and not working as hard as he should.

In total, I don't expect much. Even at his best, he's not very good. His career year looks better than it was, based on very low OBP, very weak defense and the extremely high number of double plays he grounds into.

However, until the PTBNL is actually named, the Tigers got him for pretty much nothing. So, at this point, they've got nothing to lose. I expect most here to be disappointed by Young, but I'm still hoping for the best.

Dude, he got a home run in his first at bat :) . I get that his secondary numbers stink but it really depends on whose at bats he's getting. Once BB comes back, Maggs most likely. And that's an upgrade. At least for this year. I'll worry about next year when next year comes.

So a 70/30 split between Young and Dirks in left, with Dirks being a late inning defensive replacement? I could live with that.

Don't like him batting third though.

JimRice said:
For those that put stock in intangibles, Young has a history of being kind of a jerk and not working as hard as he should.

In total, I don't expect much. Even at his best, he's not very good. His career year looks better than it was, based on very low OBP, very weak defense and the extremely high number of double plays he grounds into.

However, until the PTBNL is actually named, the Tigers got him for pretty much nothing. So, at this point, they've got nothing to lose. I expect most here to be disappointed by Young, but I'm still hoping for the best.

This.

Even if Young becomes Willie Mays in the next month and a half, I'll still have a hard time rooting for him.

I hope he helps us win, and he might, he has shows he can get hits with RISP (2010 anyhow).

But imho, he is still a 1st class douchebag.

from what ive read, he's grown up a lot since the bat-throwing thing. im not super worried about his attitude or work ethic.

Great trade by DD jumping all over a 26 year old who's having his first disappointing season in 5 years. He was stuck in a non-hr hitting park and battled injuries to himself and his entire supporting cast all year. So his slump early in season is acceptable. He hits for average and will hit more homeruns at Comerica and this lineup. A+.

First time heard "if he becomes Willy Mays it'll be hard to root for", lol. Willy Mays could hit his momma and I'd root for him. Okay kidding about his momma but still how could you not root for him. Not li,e he's hitting his momma.

PTBNL is Lester Oliveros.

per mlbtraderumors.com

Twins Acquire Lester Oliveros To Complete Young Trade
By Tim Dierkes [August 16 at 1:04pm CST]
The Twins acquired righty Lester Oliveros from the Tigers to complete yesterday's Delmon Young trade, announced the team. The Twins had until October 15th to choose the player to be named later, but they needed less than 24 hours. They also received lefty Cole Nelson in the deal.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]First time heard "if he becomes Willy Mays it'll be hard to root for", lol. Willy Mays could hit his momma and I'd root for him. Okay kidding about his momma but still how could you not root for him. Not li,e he's hitting his momma.

Barry Bonds was a great player, but I still think he's as asshole.

If he would have come to Detroit I would still dislike him.

Delmon Young does not get a pass just because he's a Tiger, hopefully he becomes a better person, but I have heard a lot of things long after the bat vs. umpire thing.

dporte19 said:
PTBNL is Lester Oliveros.

per mlbtraderumors.com

Twins Acquire Lester Oliveros To Complete Young Trade
By Tim Dierkes [August 16 at 1:04pm CST]
The Twins acquired righty Lester Oliveros from the Tigers to complete yesterday's Delmon Young trade, announced the team. The Twins had until October 15th to choose the player to be named later, but they needed less than 24 hours. They also received lefty Cole Nelson in the deal.

That sucks.

MI_Thumb said:
[quote="Mitch":5q67k6iv]First time heard "if he becomes Willy Mays it'll be hard to root for", lol. Willy Mays could hit his momma and I'd root for him. Okay kidding about his momma but still how could you not root for him. Not li,e he's hitting his momma.

Delmon Young does not get a pass just because he's a Tiger, hopefully he becomes a better person, but I have heard a lot of things long after the bat vs. umpire thing. [/quote:5q67k6iv]

So you'd root for him to get outs or just not care if he got hits? I understand your point but being an ass hole is a whole lot different than if he beat up Rodney King.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="MI_Thumb":mkrcu1e8]

Delmon Young does not get a pass just because he's a Tiger, hopefully he becomes a better person, but I have heard a lot of things long after the bat vs. umpire thing.

So you'd root for him to get outs or just not care if he got hits? I understand your point but being an ass hole is a whole lot different than if he beat up Rodney King. [/quote:mkrcu1e8]

He's saying he roots for the Tigers team not for a man/player just because he wears a Tigers uniform. If a guy rapes a woman and then earns a roster spot in Detroit, he's not going to instantly give the guy a pass and say he likes him, but will obviously be happy if he contributes to tigers success on the field. Though he may not like young as a man, he will root for him to help bolster the Tigers line up.

I never likedJulius Jones in Dallas but when he broke 100 yards and Dallas won I wasnt upset that he did well.

But that's not what he's done. He's been a jerk. So when Young comes to the plate does he turn the TV off ?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]But that's not what he's done. He's been a jerk. So when Young comes to the plate does he turn the TV off ?

So you've never disliked an athletes personality but respected his game or your team well enough to not root against him? This isnt that hard... If the Bulls were to pick up Paul Pierce I wouldn't root for him to play terribly or not watch the games. I think Paul Pierce is an overrated whiny bitch but I'm a fan of the Chicago Bulls and if Paul Pierce brought them their 1st title since the Jordan era I'd be estatic..doesn't mean I like him as a man/player any more than I did when he was a Celtic.

Simple concept.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]But that's not what he's done. He's been a jerk. So when Young comes to the plate does he turn the TV off ?

I don't watch the games on tv, so no.

But I don't root for Delmon Young.

I would not root for a player like Ron Artest.

I don't hope they do bad, because I want the Tigers to win.

But I don't like Raburn either, so maybe you can make a connection to what I'm talking about.

I don't root for them if on a different team. But on my team, I'd be like "come on Delmon". And we're talking about being a jerk rather than being a rapist.

this is very bitter sweet for me because when i watched him this year he looked really lazy but he has alot of talent so hopfully this trade works out in our favor. but i am happy that we didnt give up alot

Back