Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Delmon Young

I know that it would be quite cruel, bad for the Tigers' public image and well as seemingly being "ungrateful" for all of what he's done as a Tiger...and Maggs apparently had been waiting for them to offer him a swell contract and sign him late last off-season, BUT why didn't the Tigers just DFA Maggs?

A classic example of simple addition by subtraction, IMO.

This allows them to retain Maggs, yet play him VERY sparingly, if at all in the field, but his bat is just as dead as his legs are. Absent leaving him off their playoff roster, IF they clinch the CD, what is Maggs gonna be?

Their mascot??

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
mjsb2 said:
Quite a leap there.

So the only options we have are Maggs or Delmon Young?

Well yeah who do you think he's getting his at bats from :) it really is that simple.

No, it's not.

I'd rather have a Dirks/Raburn platoon.

I'm not happy with Young, but that doesn't mean I want Maggs.

I don't want either one of them.

Turok said:
I know that it would be quite cruel, bad for the Tigers' public image and well as seemingly being "ungrateful" for all of what he's done as a Tiger...and Maggs apparently had been waiting for them to offer him a swell contract and sign him late last off-season, BUT why didn't the Tigers just DFA Maggs?

A classic example of simple addition by subtraction, IMO.

This allows them to retain Maggs, yet play him VERY sparingly, if at all in the field, but his bat is just as dead as his legs are. Absent leaving him off the playoff roster, IF they clinch the CD, what is Maggs gonna be?

Their mascot??

I would have DFA him and Raybum.

mhughes0021 said:
Personally I woulda been fine with a boesch ajax dirks OF the rest of the way. Now if you're hoping for a new rfer next year that means were benching young and his 6 mil salary....waste of money. On the other hand if we roll with young in rf next year...well...that just sucks lol.
From what I understand he will be arbitration eligible again this offseason. With the numbers he is putting up he will probably get less money next year.

I like the deal....proven player whose put up numbers in the last year for pretty much an unknown.

mjsb2 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Well yeah who do you think he's getting his at bats from :) it really is that simple.

No, it's not.

If Dirks has only been a PT p.ayer why would smokes make him a FT player now. I like Dirks too but I don't see a down side.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
mjsb2 said:
No, it's not.

If Dirks has only been a PT p.ayer why would smokes make him a FT player now. I like Dirks too but I don't see a down side.
My guess is it was an ego or locker room thing. Benching Maggs for Dirks would probably not sit very well with Maggs and some of the other vets. Sitting him for a player that has had moderate success at the MLB level that was traded for may be better. Just a guess.

tomdalton22 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

My guess is it was an ego or locker room thing. Benching Maggs for Dirks would probably not sit very well with Maggs and some of the other vets. Sitting him for a player that has had moderate success at the MLB level that was traded for may be better. Just a guess.

You might be right but regardless JL didn't want to give Dirks more playing time. Who really knows why, loyalty maybe.

mhughes0021 said:
Personally I woulda been fine with a boesch ajax dirks OF the rest of the way. Now if you're hoping for a new rfer next year that means were benching young and his 6 mil salary....waste of money. On the other hand if we roll with young in rf next year...well...that just sucks lol.

That's if he's tendered a contract. They could just use him as a rental player and not offer him a contract and he would become a free agent

tomdalton22 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Leyland bs, " I will play the best 8 players and always give us a good chance to win".

Running a ton of errands and trying to fix problems today and I get a text from Curtis of all people about the trade... I thought he was talking about a fantasy deal in out fantasy league.. So i answered just to mess with him ..."Who the tigers" < and he said they got Delmon Young for nothing... Heck i thought he was kidding until i talked to KC just to make sure... Decent deal if he hits.. His fielding is pretty sub-par and it Looks Like Magglio is becoming a part time player and will be moving down in the order... I do not agree with using Ruburn,Santiago, and Kelly at second base.. It looks like Wil Rhymes has become the new Sizemore and not get a shot in Detroit...Excited about the deal for DY though... At least DD is trying to get the team better.

tomdalton22 said:
mhughes0021 said:
From what I understand he will be arbitration eligible again this offseason. With the numbers he is putting up he will probably get less money next year.

The club's salary offer to a player under its control may not be less than 80% of the player's total compensation from the prior year, and may not be less than 70% of his compensation from 2 years earlier. These rules, however, do not apply to free agents who are offered arbitration.

Delmon wasn't exactly an undiscovered but budding studly potential superstar, languishing in a backup role for a perennial cellar-dwelling team, and was just chomping at the bit, waiting for a far more fabulous team to snatch him up and free him from the binding chains of being under-appreciated and nondescript. The Twins may not have had any chance of making it to the postseason this year, but I really dunno if Delmon will be able flourish here with the Tigers or not, or even return to being the same player that he was prior to this season. so at this point, color me pretty much underwhelmed....along with with a wait 'n see attitude.

Apparently he was was hurt earlier this season, and has picked it up a bit offensively over the past couple of months. As long as he doesn't remind me of Ruggy in LF, I will be satisfied with his defensive performance, and likely at the plate as well, despite Delmon's alarming lack of coaxing many BBs and extremely low amount of of SBs, over the past several seasons.

He's a very good player when right and even though he's having a bad year, he's still better than Magglio and it was a good pickup imo..

Rod Allen tweeted that this could be like the Peralta trade. Seemed to indicate that Young was not happy in MN, but did not come out and say it.

With that said, once Boesh is healthy, I'm not sure if Young should still be batting third.. He sure hasn't batted like a 3 hole hitter this year and Boesch has..

let's be honest delmon young has worlds more upside than dirks does.

getting maggs out of the lineup is huge....seems like DD finally came to the same conclusion most every tiger fan has on maggs.

He's done.

I was surprised he was only 25. Does it seem like he's been in the league longer?

tonyballs said:
I was surprised he was only 25. Does it seem like he's been in the league longer?

was kind of surprised myself, he signed out of high school, in 2003 first overall pick, and will be 26 next month.

Back