Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Delmon Young

Spockmaster said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Only 2 K's. All averages out :)
id take a few more strikeouts if he got on base more often as well.

I think with Ajax, Inge, Raburn and Betemit and what not I'll take less K's. He's doing a good job of knocking in runs. And I trust him a bit more if there is a guy on third less than two outs.

#1500.

i edited after you quoted, so ill put it here:

his OBP for the year is exactly the same as jackson's...pathetic. his power numbers help somewhat, but he really needs to get on base more if he's going to be hitting in the top third of the lineup (really, he should be moved down while avila and peralta move up, but we all know leyland is way too stubborn to do that).

i swear there is just constant bitching i think just to bitch. nobody except verlander can do anything right in people's eyes around here. fucking a' this is why i stopped reading the tigers shit.

I agree with him moving down but its refreshing not having a guy k so much.

fedexgooch78 said:
i swear there is just constant bitching i think just to bitch. nobody except verlander can do anything right in people's eyes around here. fucking a' this is why i stopped reading the tigers shit.

Thank you I'll see you next month.

You confuse argument with discussion.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I agree with him moving down but its refreshing not having a guy k so much.
that i can agree with. our 3-4-5 all have low K rates.

fedexgooch78 said:
know whats even more annoying? someone complaining about other people complaining. if you dont like it, dont read it or go away.

Question, and I'm serious. Why did Minnesota waive him? We gave them virtually nothing in return. Was he a clubhouse pariah? Do they have a half a dozen stud outfield prospects who need PT? I know he's not friggin Albert Pujols or anything, but he seems like an awful good young player to be just giving up on like that. In other words, what am I missing?

johnny2x2x said:
Question, and I'm serious. Why did Minnesota waive him? We gave them virtually nothing in return. Was he a clubhouse pariah? Do they have a half a dozen stud outfield prospects who need PT? I know he's not friggin Albert Pujols or anything, but he seems like an awful good young player to be just giving up on like that. In other words, what am I missing?
his offense barely makes up for his defense, his power numbers (even last year) are not nearly what they were expected, and his career .280 BA is hollow because he never walks. to say is defense is horrible is to be too kind. everything i hear about his personality is that he's a great guy, he just has far too many flaws in his game to make him worth what he's been earning.

dont get me wrong, i was very happy with the trade because even with all his faults he is much better than maggs is right now, but i want us to non-tender him in the offseason like the twins were going to and sign a much better overall player like david dejesus.

I still don't understand this deal.... What were the Twins thinking? Trade a 100 RBI man to a division rival. I doubt Terry Ryan would have made this move.

stonecold2136 said:
I still don't understand this deal.... What were the Twins thinking? Trade a 100 RBI man to a division rival. I doubt Terry Ryan would have made this move.

21 Hrs 112 RBIs and hit .298 along with being 10th in the MVP voting, I don't get it either.

hellifino said:
stonecold2136 said:

21 Hrs 112 RBIs and hit .298 along with being 10th in the MVP voting, I don't get it either.

He has had one big time year, and his obp was extremely low for hitting almost .300. Some teams don't like free swingers. I think Delmon was a great acquisition for the rest of this season, but he is not imo a long term answer in the outfield, especially because he is a butcher in the field, on a team full of below average fielders.

You can talk about his low walk rate, average defense or career year in 2010 but DY was a nice pickup without giving up much. He always hits for a good average and I think Comerica park was built for him. And he's loads better than Maggs is at this point.

As far as next year, he's an option. Not sure who is on the FA market that won't cost an arm and a leg and 16m a year. But I like Young. And his k rate has decreased drastically in the last 3 months.

I get sick of all the Strikouts aj, Inge and Raburn give us. Granted he's a free swinger, but when I watch him he's swinging at strikes. And nothing wrong with putting the ball in play.

I think Minnesota let him go because he was being a total lazy dick. Obviously, that hasn't happened here.

There's no doubt that Young has given the Tiger's a boost, but he does carry the same weaknesses as many Tigers. He's a terrible fielder and he doesn't get on base. Still a nice pick up, though.

With him, Magglio and Boesch, it's probably the worst corner outfield defense I've ever seen. Young and Boesch get terrible reads..... watching them at the game is a trip. You can't always see it on TV, but they both take at least one step in a wrong direction when the ball is hit towards them. Usually more than one.

I keep on hearing DY, lazy bastard. But only from fans. Is there a link somewhere?

Spockmaster said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Only 2 K's. All averages out :)
id tolerate a few more strikeouts if he got on base more often as well.

his OBP for the year is exactly the same as jackson's...pathetic. his power numbers help somewhat, but he really needs to get on base more if he's going to be hitting in the top third (really, he should be moved down while avila and peralta move up)

I agree. We have the best hitter in baseball and two guys in front of him that do not get on base. I like Young so far, but I think that he should bat 5th or 6th instead of 2nd or 3rd. We need some more guys on base for the big fella

Young is hitting .277/.284/.400 with the Tigers.

I really hope he isn't brought back next season.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
austindayeisaboss said:
look what hes done with peralta and avila and boesch he kinda is a genius

And Inge.
I'm not defending Lloyd, but Inge refuses to take direction on hitting. He's said as much several times in his career. He swings a bat like a frigging golf club and wonders why he rarely makes solid contact.

mjsb2 said:
Young is hitting .277/.284/.400 with the Tigers.

I really hope he isn't brought back next season.

Sure if you can get someone better but easier said than done. We certainly don't have anyone better that could take his place currently in the organization.

Back