Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Delmon Young

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
mjsb2 said:
Young is hitting .277/.284/.400 with the Tigers.

I really hope he isn't brought back next season.

Sure if you can get someone better but easier said than done. We certainly don't have anyone better that could take his place currently in the organization.
Isn't he already locked up for next year or am I wrong on that?

All the posts have much the same thought, many Tigers players have less than wanted strike zone judgement.
Does this have to do with the scouts, cross checkers, who follow, watch, and make notes on what the player does in atbat situations in high school or college, and initally say this guy would make a good Tiger? or does it have to do with the coaching and player development they have in the minor league coaching ranks?
There are some teams who continue to either draft and/or develop players that can take strikes, know the strike zone, and would not tolerate the players mentioned within here for as long as the Tigers have.
It is obvious that the lack of plate discipline, strike zone judgement, and either or both drafting or coaching is a big reason for so many players with low obp and high strikeout to at bat rates.

kingofdetroit57 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Sure if you can get someone better but easier said than done. We certainly don't have anyone better that could take his place currently in the organization.
Isn't he already locked up for next year or am I wrong on that?

No, he's under team control, but does not have a contract. The Tigers could choose to pass on him and not offer a contract.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
mjsb2 said:
Young is hitting .277/.284/.400 with the Tigers.

I really hope he isn't brought back next season.

Unfortunately, we will probably be stuck with him, and he could produce well enough to warrant the 7 million it will probably cost to sign him.

They better not sign him to a multi-year deal though.

If Delmon can have a year like 2010, then fine.....

But I still think he's overrated.

He's better than Maggs and unless Dirks makes a huge leap, he's better than anyone else we have. Bottom line is, for the short term this was a solid move so far. Where Leyland chooses to bat him in the order is another topic entirely really. Good job DD.

ihatebadenglish said:
I'd rather play Ryan Raburn everyday in LF for 2012 than Delmon Young

Really? Why's that...Raburn is just as bad in the field and has less potential than Young.

Plus Young has shown he can produce over the course of a full season..unlike Raburn who is a 1/2 season player at best.

tbone413 said:
Really? Why's that...Raburn is just as bad in the field and has less potential than Young.

Plus Young has shown he can produce over the course of a full season..unlike Raburn who is a 1/2 season player at best.

Because there are other needs on this team than corner OF. I don't know what the plan is for Payroll for next year, but unless it is considerably higher than this year, there isn't that much to work with.

I would hope the organization will be looking for a second baseman as well as a third baseman. Wouldn't surprise me if the Tigers let Brandon Inge hit the ole dusty trail this year.

Spending $7M on a corner outfielder that had trouble getting the OPS north of .700 is a foolish cost. There is nothing to suggest that Young will produce like he did in 2010 anymore than he has produced in 2011. There is a reason that Minnesota was going to non-tender Young this offseason and let him go to a division opponent for a song.

Ideally it would be great if the Tigers could acquire an additional outfielder via trade this offseason. The FA market isn't looking too promising.

But if that fails, I would much rather have Raburn/Dirks in LF for $2.5 and take the additional money and upgrade a need like 2B which has been a disastrous carousel of mediocrity.

tbone413 said:
ihatebadenglish said:

Raburn is no worse a fielder, and sadly, is probably a bit better. Young might be the worst outfielder that I've ever seen. Raburn has had 3 years just as good as Young's career year.

Raburn plus a left handed bat to platoon seems like a better option. Either Young or Raburn full time seems like a bad idea.

ihatebadenglish said:
tbone413 said:

Because there are other needs on this team than corner OF. I don't know what the plan is for Payroll for next year, but unless it is considerably higher than this year, there isn't that much to work with.

I would hope the organization will be looking for a second baseman as well as a third baseman. Wouldn't surprise me if the Tigers let Brandon Inge hit the ole dusty trail this year.

Spending $7M on a corner outfielder that had trouble getting the OPS north of .700 is a foolish cost. There is nothing to suggest that Young will produce like he did in 2010 anymore than he has produced in 2011. There is a reason that Minnesota was going to non-tender Young this offseason and let him go to a division opponent for a song.

Ideally it would be great if the Tigers could acquire an additional outfielder via trade this offseason. The FA market isn't looking too promising.

But if that fails, I would much rather have Raburn/Dirks in LF for $2.5 and take the additional money and upgrade a need like 2B which has been a disastrous carousel of mediocrity.

I agree with you that I would rather spend the money upgrading the 2nd base position..but if the choice for a LF next year between Raburn and Young had no effect on what we do with the 2nd base position then Id choose Young... I think Raburn is simply not an everyday player...but thats just me.

tbone413 said:
I agree with you that I would rather spend the money upgrading the 2nd base position..but if the choice for a LF next year between Raburn and Young had no effect on what we do with the 2nd base position then Id choose Young... I think Raburn is simply not an everyday player...but thats just me.

I would say that is a pretty big "if", wouldn't you say?

The 2010 opening day payroll was ~$107M

For 2012, the Tigers have 8 guys under contract for ~$74M. Then you add on the likely option pickups for Valverde and Porcello. That is an additional $10M. Phil Coke and Mac Scherzer are both 1st time arbitration eligible players. They will somewhere between $2M and $4M combined.

Also, Ramon Santiago is a FA after this year. Do you want to bring him back? I would. Better than Danny Worth.

So now you are north of $90M, and that doesn't include all of the guys making $400-500k like Avila, Jackson, Boesch, etc.. That makes a team with Santiago at 2B, Inge at 3B, and Raburn in LF. Do you really want to spend $6-7M of the remaining payroll on Delmon Young, in hopes that bounces back to his 2010 form?

By all means, if they address all of the other areas of need and then decide to take a risk on Young, knock themselves out.

You can look at stats and say at the end of the year DY and Raburn are pretty close but I'll take consistent over horrible 3 months followed by good 3 months. And far as defense, no way Raburn is better. He's barely better than Maggs. DY isn't much in the OF but I'd rather have him.

tbone413 said:
ihatebadenglish said:

No, Raburn is a better fielder than Young.

And all of Delmon Youngs potential has translated into nothing but a shit MLB career.

Raburn has been better than Young since the start of 2009.

Can somebody tell me why Young is likely to outproduce him next year?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]You can look at stats and say at the end of the year DY and Raburn are pretty close but I'll take consistent over horrible 3 months followed by good 3 months. And far as defense, no way Raburn is better. He's barely better than Maggs. DY isn't much in the OF but I'd rather have him.

It's not even close, Raburn is much better.

Whether by watching them play, or using the stats, Raburn is clearly better.

Delmon Young sure is a model of consistency.

OPS by month in 2010

Gee, horrible the first half, and turns it up the 2nd half...remind you of anybody?

Hmm, another season where he was completely abysmal for 3 months and then a solid hitter for 3 months.

But of course, Raburn can only hit in the 2nd half.

Except, of course, in 2007 when his OPS was actually higher in the first half than it was in the 2nd half.

Remember that? When he posted an .875 OPS in April.

Or how about 2009, when he had a .842 OPS in the first half.

The idea that he can only hit in the 2nd half is entirely inaccurate.

It's complete bullshit.

the problem with Raburn is that is long as he is on the team Leyland is going to continue to run him out in the infield atleast once a week..... He's done it time and time again. When he plays in the infield it's a shit show. Young may not be the greatest left fielder but Raburn to me isn't that much better and I know damn well there is no risk of Leyland playing Delmon at 2b or 3b.

mjsb2 said:
Raburn has been better than Young since the start of 2009.

Can somebody tell me why Young is likely to outproduce him next year?

The question isn't who is better but if you want .210 for 3 months before he heats up? Or 3 months of good and then 3 months of crap. I'm just hoping for consistency.

Back