Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Strategy

detroit1811

I think most, if not all, Lions fans would agree we need to find a guy who can develop into a difference making WR and a LB?er who can be the leader of this defense in this draft. Looking over this roster, those are the two biggest GLARING weaknesses. I was playing around with the PFF mock simulator this morning and the more I try to play different scenarios, the more I realize we need to come away with one of Waddle/Chase/Smith. I think we have a much better shot at getting an impact LB?er in the 2nd round then an impact WR. At LB?er there is Collins/JOK/Davis/Bolton/Cox and probably a couple more who I would be comfortable with in the 2nd (I understand Collins and JOK most likely won?t be there).

I much rather have Waddle/Chase/Smith and Jabril Cox/Nick Bolton then Micah Parsons and Terrace Marshall/Moore.

Also I really think we are going to trade down. We just need more draft capital this year and it is lining up really well for us. I think teams like the Broncos, Patriots and Washington will be very aggressive in finding a QB this year. I also think a team like the Chargers and Dolphins will be very interested in moving up. The Chargers NEED O-line help and there is a good chance Sewell and Slater are off the board at 13. They know for them to be successful Herbert needs protection. Also I think Miami would love the idea of double dipping and they have the draft capital to move around. Getting a combination of one of the top three WR?s or Pitts and Sewell would have them salivating.

IMO, the top 4 picks are QB?s. Whether Atlanta trades down or selects one a QB is going at 4 and my guess is Carolina trades up. That leaves one of Lance/Mac Jones/Fields remaining at QB. I think Cincy wants a top level talent for Burrow and my gut tells me Pitts. I do think they do not want to move out and will select either Sewell/Pitts/Chase. I also think the Dolphins pick is not for sale as they already traded up. They want Sewell, but will settle for Pitts/Chase. Here is my mini mock

1 Jags - Lawrence
2 Jets - Wilson
3 49ers - Mac Jones (Where there is smoke there is fire)
4 Panthers - Justin Fields
5 Cincy - Kyle Pitts
6 Dolphins - Penei Sewell

At that point that leaves Lance is the last of the 5 QB?s and there will be interest. IMO, the Patriots will be aggressive in acquiring a QB and I think they are willing to overpay. I also think Denver is going to be interested, but I don?t think they overpay. Washington is too far down the list and would need a lot to outbid a team like the Patriots.

In the end it wouldn?t shock be if New England offered their #1 next year along with #15 and maybe a 3rd. I think draft picks in 2022 are going to be very appealing to this group as by then everything should be back to normal and they will be able to have their own hand picked scouts in place by then. New England is all in on making people forget about them letting Brady go and they need a new face of the franchise.

7 Patriots - Trey Lance
8 Falcons - Caleb Fairley
9 Eagles - Jamar Chase (he isn?t falling out the top ten Eagles trade up)
10 Cowboys - Patrick Surtain
11 Giants - Gregory Rousseau
12 Broncos - Micah Parson
13 Chargers - Rashawn Slater
14 Dolphins - Devonta Smith (Jump us again to ensure Tua gets his Bama WR)
15 Lions - Jaylen Waddle

WR?s are going to drop if 5 QB?s go in the top 7. There just isn?t a need for them. Obviously this would be a pretty ideal scenario getting one of the top three WR?s after a trade down, but I think it is more and more likely by the day.

I really think we end up with our best case scenerio....I think it goes:
Jax Lawrence
NYJ Wilson
SF Lance
DEN Fields (Denver trades up)
CIN Sewell (Burrow is pushing for a chase reunion. Will be interesting to see which way they go)
MIA Pitts - They just signed Fuller...i think they pair Pitts with Gesicki
Det - Parsons > Chase > Trade Down

I think if the Lions end up with the 3rd best WR it will be Devonte Smith. I think the WR order will be Chase, Wadle, Smith

I rather have Parson's over a WR. Or Lance assuming this scenario plays out.

I rather have Parson's over a WR. Or Lance assuming this scenario plays out.

I have no idea if Lance will be there at 7. I have heard so many different things about SF at 3. Today I was hearing that Lance is a possibility.

I have no idea if Lance will be there at 7. I have heard so many different things about SF at 3. Today I was hearing that Lance is a possibility.

They went to Mac Jones pro day over fields today. But they did say they are having fields for a private pro day. I think it's lance.

I really think we end up with our best case scenerio....I think it goes:
Jax Lawrence
NYJ Wilson
SF Lance
DEN Fields (Denver trades up)
CIN Sewell (Burrow is pushing for a chase reunion. Will be interesting to see which way they go)
MIA Pitts - They just signed Fuller...i think they pair Pitts with Gesicki
Det - Parsons > Chase > Trade Down

I heard today that the Dolphins wanted Pitts at 3, but the value wasn't quite right. Picking up that extra draft capital and still getting him at 6 was basically a dream come true for them. He still has to get past Cincy, but if not I am sure they will "settle" for Sewell.

From the way it is lining up either Chase or Sewell will be there at #7 and if we stand pat those are our best options, IMO.

Also was listening to something today that said none of the guys in important positions (Holmes/Dorsey/Agnew/Campbell), value off ball LB'ers very high, whether in the draft or free agency. Said taking Parson at 7 would be completely out of the norm for those guys.

Also in Holmes press conference the other days he talked about guys at the top of the draft and mentioned Pitts, the quarterbacks, the wide receivers, and THE tackle (just Sewell). No mention of the cornerbacks or any other defender.

I think one of Sewell/Chase/Pitts/Smith/Waddle will be a Detroit Lion if we stay at 7.

I heard today that the Dolphins wanted Pitts at 3, but the value wasn't quite right. Picking up that extra draft capital and still getting him at 6 was basically a dream come true for them. He still has to get past Cincy, but if not I am sure they will "settle" for Sewell.

From the way it is lining up either Chase or Sewell will be there at #7 and if we stand pat those are our best options, IMO.

Also was listening to something today that said none of the guys in important positions (Holmes/Dorsey/Agnew/Campbell), value off ball LB'ers very high, whether in the draft or free agency. Said taking Parson at 7 would be completely out of the norm for those guys.

Also in Holmes press conference the other days he talked about guys at the top of the draft and mentioned Pitts, the quarterbacks, the wide receivers, and THE tackle (just Sewell). No mention of the cornerbacks or any other defender.

I think one of Sewell/Chase/Pitts/Smith/Waddle will be a Detroit Lion if we stay at 7.

it makes sense cause he has to prove to the city of detroit he made the right decision to cash strap this team and bring Goff here. So he will go get Goff support at the expense of the defense...again. Sounds like every other GM that walks through these doors. Shame...same ol shit.

it makes sense cause he has to prove to the city of detroit he made the right decision to cash strap this team and bring Goff here. So he will go get Goff support at the expense of the defense...again. Sounds like every other GM that walks through these doors. Shame...same ol shit.

this

they are going to do everything they can to make Goff the QB of the future. Surround him with offensive weapons.

sounds very familiar.

this

they are going to do everything they can to make Goff the QB of the future. Surround him with offensive weapons.

sounds very familiar.

It does sound very familiar. Almost like today?s league wants qbs and passing games to succeed and be important. Can?t figure out for the life of me why?

It does sound very familiar. Almost like today?s league wants qbs and passing games to succeed and be important. Can?t figure out for the life of me why?

If your plan is to try to match Mahomes and his weapons. Good fucking luck lol. Lets try it just for fun:

Goff vs Mahomes
Williams (is that his name?) vs tyreek hill
Perriman vs Hardman
Hockenson vs Kelce

ya ummm...not a good plan.

If your plan is to try to match Mahomes and his weapons. Good fucking luck lol. Lets try it just for fun:

Goff vs Mahomes
Williams (is that his name?) vs tyreek hill
Perriman vs Hardman
Hockenson vs Kelce

ya ummm...not a good plan.

Well it?s the way the league is going, you need a lot of major playmakers do he a great team. Don?t think the ole ball control and defense method will be the most effective way anymore. Also you?re comparing this years lions to the chiefs. I know and expect this to be a major rebuild. We need a good step this year, followed by a really really great off-season next year. I am not giving them a pass truth be told. I?m giving them a little time due to the situation they were left with, but by year 2 with a couple of firsts and a lot of FA money available they better resemble a competitive nfl team.

The value says WR. Parsons is the best defender, but he has character concerns. The only way the board doesn't dictate WR is if Sewell is there. IMO a good trade offer is the best option as we did more draft picks.

The value says WR. Parsons is the best defender, but he has character concerns. The only way the board doesn't dictate WR is if Sewell is there. IMO a good trade offer is the best option as we did more draft picks.

And we know how that works. You pick a guy and hope for the best and 'Hughes said it best we can't keep on trying to make our QB a hall of famer and we need to focus on the D. It's surprises me so many here don't want that. We don't need a 1st round WR. The depth in WR there is more than just the top 3 guys.

Take WR at 7 then use less on it in 2022, maybe day 2 or fa. Would in theory have a cheap number 1 wr for 5 maybe 6 years with a tag, or more with resign but costly starting in 2026

All the dont pay Golladay crowd should want that. Or hope strike gold on day 2 like quin did with golladay for 3 years then injury. Woods got fa money, used a 1st on cooks trade and kupp round 3 is how rams built it. We didnt go long term fa route. Quinn did that with Marvin Jones

Last edited:
And we know how that works. You pick a guy and hope for the best and 'Hughes said it best we can't keep on trying to make our QB a hall of famer and we need to focus on the D. It's surprises me so many here don't want that. We don't need a 1st round WR. The depth in WR there is more than just the top 3 guys.

If there was a pass rusher or a DT like Suh I would be all over defense. That or even a safety in the Jamal Adams mold. Unfortunately the best defender is an off ball LBer with character concerns. I would be fine with Parsons, but I see the other guys as safer with just as much long term potential.

Trade down out of 7 into teens, then hopefully trade down again into 20s, each time picking up an extra pick this year and next.

We all know they will not be a playoff team this year, so getting draft capital should be the primary focus. Get 10-15 starters on rookie contracts for 2022-23, provides more $$$ for FAs to fill out he team to make a serious run in 2023-24 and 24-25.

Gotta look at long term and not hyperfocus on this coming season.

If there was a pass rusher or a DT like Suh I would be all over defense. That or even a safety in the Jamal Adams mold. Unfortunately the best defender is an off ball LBer with character concerns. I would be fine with Parsons, but I see the other guys as safer with just as much long term potential.

It's a WR position. They are way over valued. You pick them when they're the missing piece. We've had the greatest QB, I use that in jest - and the best WR of his day and we didn't do anything. I like what Holmes has done so far but if they use 7 to take a WR, then it's the same stupid franchise.

It's a WR position. They are way over valued. You pick them when they're the missing piece. We've had the greatest QB, I use that in jest - and the best WR of his day and we didn't do anything. I like what Holmes has done so far but if they use 7 to take a WR, then it's the same stupid franchise.

Can?t blame Holmes for what was done in the past. I think it is narrow minded to say that. WR is still a major need for us. Don?t see how WR are overvalued? Most of the best teams have a true alpha WR. This is a passing league WR is quickly becoming one of the most important positions on the field. Guess agree to disagree here.

Can?t blame Holmes for what was done in the past. I think it is narrow minded to say that. WR is still a major need for us. Don?t see how WR are overvalued? Most of the best teams have a true alpha WR. This is a passing league WR is quickly becoming one of the most important positions on the field. Guess agree to disagree here.

And those teams generally have star QB's and better defenses. When you have the worse defense in the league you don't draft a WR. If we won 5 games and were 15-20 defense I might agree on WR at 7. But not the worst. I actually want to see them win some playoff games eventually. Having a better receiving core won't do that. I rather see a Cooper Kupp type over a flashy speed deep threat guy.

Back