Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Strategy

With OT what's the drop off from Sewell to Rashawn Slater? Or other OT.

From what I understand, Sewell is an all around talent. Great at both run and pass blocking and plays with a mean streak.

Slater is more of a pass blocker like Decker and Backus.

Our strengths are Rb and Te. I don't know any other organizations that builds their team that way lol. Bob quin was an asshat.

He didn't attempt to build the team like that. He just whiffed at the other positions. But not really Oline was a whif. Decker, Glasgow, Ragnow all very nice hits. Decker and Ragnow are key pieces. Went guard twice again to replace Glasgow last year. Tried with Rick Wagner and Lang but they faded and we had to re attempt

He didn't attempt to build the team like that. He just whiffed at the other positions. But not really Oline was a whif. Decker, Glasgow, Ragnow all very nice hits. Decker and Ragnow are key pieces. Went guard twice again to replace Glasgow last year. Tried with Rick Wagner and Lang but they faded and we had to re attempt

Picking a TE in the top 10 means you did attempt to build the team like that. The same year he paid ridiculous money for Jesse james he never used lol. Quin was a dumbass. Patricia didnt have a chance.

Picking a TE in the top 10 means you did attempt to build the team like that. The same year he paid ridiculous money for Jesse james he never used lol. Quin was a dumbass. Patricia didnt have a chance.

Quinn won with Caldwell

He cut a top 10 TE the year before so he didn't have to pay him and had 2018 with shit at TE. So Hock was in play

You hyper focus on certain picks. Look at the big picture

His first pick was Decker. Dline 2nd round .He took Glasgow that draft 3rd round. Then a safety who became nothing more than a special teamer in Killebrew.

Attempt at impact LB (in 4-3 scheme), CB, WR in 2017. 2017 HE GAVE WAGNER AND LANG BIG DEALS in FA. Quinn was all about the Oline.

2018. Ragnow, Kerryon, Walker, Hand. Cut Ebron. Went cheap at TE and it was a disaster. Found Okwara off scrap heap

Kerryon was needed but has injury issues. Lions were awful running the ball in 2017. Abdullah 3.3 YPC, Riddick 3.4 YPC and Tion Green 3.9. Yeah they needed Kerryon

2019 Got Hock who was BPA (they tried to trade for Gronk). He took Hock but he gave Flower a massive deal before that so DE was far from ignored. They liked Okwara (and so do you know). Tavai whiff (pure Patricia mold), Harris whiff (more Patricia mold). Wagner and Glasgow were still here at that point too and playing well. Wagner regressed and got cut, Glasgow hit free agency and got 11 per from Denver

2020 CB after trading Slay, Swift after Kerryon got hurt twice, two guards to try and replace Glasgow and Julian Okwara nice shot on him but he got hurt his rookie year. Vaitai got big money (whiff so far)

Got to look at who was on the team, who was playing well, who was injury prone and the reasons why picks were made

Quinn focused on Oline in draft and in FA big money. Got us 3/5ths of a line, maybe 4 out of 5 if Vaitai or Stenberg can do something. And Crosby a fine backup swing tackle

Last edited:
From what I understand, Sewell is an all around talent. Great at both run and pass blocking and plays with a mean streak.

Slater is more of a pass blocker like Decker and Backus.

Interesting. I?ve heard that Slater is a ?road-grader? from ?draft experts.? I?ve never seen him play, so, for all I know, Slater is a gnat-sized WR.

Last edited:
McShay is reporting the Lions are interested in a WR at 7. That could mean alot of things and it could also be a smokescreen. Hopefully it means hes interested only if Chase is there. Theres a little smoke around Waddle being connected to us as well.

I still want Oline.

Holmes stated in his presser he wants to stay in the top half of the draft (my first inkling that we may have an intelligent GM this time). I wouldnt expect a trade down below 16 unless it was for a MAJOR haul that he couldnt pass up.

Id expect mid round targets to be:
Parsons LB
Slater/Darrisaw OT
BPA WR: Smith/Bateman/Toney/Marshall

Trade down to Denver at 9 would be my first choice....Youd have your pick of either Slater/Sewell or Parsons and extra pick(s?).

best case would be the Denver Trade. Only move back a few places and still able to get a really good player. Worst case is pick at 7 with 1 or 2 of the top 5 QBs still on the board. Because you KNOW if that happens, one of them will end up being a perennial pro bowler and Goff will end up sucking.

Philly could move back up for WR. Wouldn't mind going to 9 or 12. Farthest NE at 15 but doubt they give up a haul, they would be stingy

Philly could move back up for WR. Wouldn't mind going to 9 or 12. Farthest NE at 15 but doubt they give up a haul, they would be stingy

Theres been some noise about ARI moving up to us and them targeting Waddle. Saw it in a mock as well as NFL network reported on it over the weekend. Id have to wait n see what we got in return to know how i felt about going down that far.

It doesn?t matter where we pick. We just need to land a good player and develop them to their potential. Something the olde regime couldn?t do.

Back