Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Strategy

My current mock.
1) Jamar chase wr
2) Jamin davis lb
3) andre cisco s
3b) rodarius Williams cb

I want parsons... but they aren't going to do it.

Offensive HC, a GM who jones on Goff it'd be an offensive player.

I forget who said it, but saw a tweet yesterday from someone that said Pitts doesn't drop further then #5. Also saw from a few different sources that if Pitts was there at #6 Miami would jump all over it. Assuming a QB goes #4, and I think one will whether Atlanta takes one or they trade down, We should get Chase or Sewell.

It we stay at #7, that is the ideal scenario to me.

From PFF's mock draft

7. DETROIT LIONS — OT PENEI SEWELL, OREGON
I’d include a kneecap joke here if the bit wasn’t already played out in January. Plus, the better joke to be had is the sheer state of Detroit’s roster.

Dan Campbell’s Lions are one of Vegas’ favorites to pick No. 1 overall in 2022. With Jared Goff replacing Matthew Stafford and Kenny Golladay now suiting up for the New York Giants, Detroit's offense is well on its way to being a bottom-five unit in the NFL this season. Give Spencer Rattler, Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis or the field a fighting chance in 2022 and add the best non-quarterback in this class.

I am warming to Pitts, but still prefer Chase. Sewell is my dream pick though.

Here's the thing, all of these on campus workout 40 times are hand timed. Pitts ran a 4.44 hand timed, which means get a laser timer on him and he runs anywhere from a 4.5 to a 4.65. You just don't know without a real timer on these kids.

Pitts's highlights are crazy good, looks like a total mismatch, but another TE at 7, he better be a once in a lifetime freak, not sure if Pitts is that. People comparing him to Calvin Johnson are a little off base IMO. Chase is a can't miss WR, will be at minimum a regular thousand yard receiver, at best a perennial All Pro.

I read up on Sewell more and he's really touted and considered potentially an Orlando Pace/Joe Thomas type franchise tackle who will be dominant for 10 years plus.

Parsons has those hazing issues and seems like an absolute creep, but he's got elite tools and is a sure fire impact LB in the NFL. He's a Jaylon Smith type athlete who should be as good or better in the NFL.

I read up on Sewell more and he's really touted and considered potentially an Orlando Pace/Joe Thomas type franchise tackle who will be dominant for 10 years plus.

if that's the case, a HOF player, he should be the #1 target.

I don't believe Sewell will be there at 7 but if he was and we drafted him what about Decker? Where would he move?

I don't believe Sewell will be there at 7 but if he was and we drafted him what about Decker? Where would he move?

You put him at RT year one. If he outplays Decker in the off-season year 2 you swap them as Decker will be pushing 30 by then and Sewell would be what 22?.

Regardless, Sewell has all-time great potential at tackle and is probably the best non QB in the draft. I find it hard to believe two tackle needy teams at 5 and 6 will pass on him, but it is possible.

You put him at RT year one. If he outplays Decker in the off-season year 2 you swap them as Decker will be pushing 30 by then and Sewell would be what 22?.

Regardless, Sewell has all-time great potential at tackle and is probably the best non QB in the draft. I find it hard to believe two tackle needy teams at 5 and 6 will pass on him, but it is possible.

The Bengals would be stupid to pass on him. They just drafted their franchise QB and he got hurt because their line is terrible. They already have a #1 WR (T Higgins) and Boyd is probably one of the best #2's in the league.

The Bengals would be stupid to pass on him. They just drafted their franchise QB and he got hurt because their line is terrible. They already have a #1 WR (T Higgins) and Boyd is probably one of the best #2's in the league.

That's where I suspect him to go too but maybe they fall in love with Pitts.

That's the thought for Cincy, but maybe Burrows pushes for his college connection in Chase.

If Sewell is that type of prospect, you take him. I just saw a mock with Cincy taking chase and the Lions then taking Waddle, Sewell going 9th to Atlanta. If we pass on Sewell if he's there at 7, I will be pissed.

1. Penei Sewell, Oregon
6-foot-6, 325 pounds
2021 NFL Draft grade: First round

Oregon offensive tackle Penei Sewell was dominant during his two years of college football. In 2019, he became the first sophomore to win the Outland Trophy. He also received the highest grade any offensive tackle has received in the history of Pro Football Focus with a grade of 95.5. As a freshman in 2018, he was named to the USA Today Freshman All-America team. Even though Sewell decided to sit out the 2020 season, this is enough of a resume to earn him a high first-round draft grade.

I am warming to Pitts, but still prefer Chase. Sewell is my dream pick though.

Here's the thing, all of these on campus workout 40 times are hand timed. Pitts ran a 4.44 hand timed, which means get a laser timer on him and he runs anywhere from a 4.5 to a 4.65. You just don't know without a real timer on these kids.

Pitts's highlights are crazy good, looks like a total mismatch, but another TE at 7, he better be a once in a lifetime freak, not sure if Pitts is that. People comparing him to Calvin Johnson are a little off base IMO. Chase is a can't miss WR, will be at minimum a regular thousand yard receiver, at best a perennial All Pro.

Parsons has those hazing issues and seems like an absolute creep, but he's got elite tools and is a sure fire impact LB in the NFL. He's a Jaylon Smith type athlete who should be as good or better in the NFL.

If they all turned out like that.....I'd take any of them. WHOEVER we take at 7, I just want them to be a game changing talent. I don't want another Okudah or Davis....that's what sets franchises back and forces you to fill holes with FA's.....which inflates your cap and limits the number of good players and depth you can have.

If I had my pick, id say....

Chase
Sewell
Parsons
Pitts

My order
Sewell
Lance
Chase
Waddle
Pitts

The only ones I would take at 7 are Sewell or Lance

I wouldn't take Lance with any pick in the first 5 rounds. Unless you are looking for an athletic TE project......ala Logan Thomas.

Back