Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Trade Idea

If the Texans don't go Clowney I am curious if Mayhew still tries to move up for him instead of Watkins. I am intrigued at the idea of him, ansah, suh and Fairley all on the field together. That would be a dline that could based on measurables and proven play from a few of them be one of the greatest in NFL history. But Watkins with Megatron and tate with the receiving threats in the backfield would be equally as great imo. So many options for this team. Now if we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot we could be a top team.

If the Texans don't go Clowney I am curious if Mayhew still tries to move up for him instead of Watkins. I am intrigued at the idea of him, ansah, suh and Fairley all on the field together. That would be a dline that could based on measurables and proven play from a few of them be one of the greatest in NFL history. But Watkins with Megatron and tate with the receiving threats in the backfield would be equally as great imo. So many options for this team. Now if we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot we could be a top team.

A player like Clowney would make a bigger and much more immediate impact on the success of the team than Watkins.

I gave up on the dream of moving up to take Clowney weeks ago.

.. as much as I could.

... ... I still have a mancrush I think.

It's tough because the thought of moving up in the draft worries me. I think it will hurt us more than help us. But I also think Clowney is probably a better prospect than Watkins. Clowney does things that I don't think I have seen before. Sort of like last year with Ansah I thought damn, this dude has freakish athletic ability. Well Clowney has that type of athletic ability. Not as fast but more explosive and a more finished prospect but questionable motor which is a huge downside for me.
Watkins, I keep watching clips of him and reading scouting reports and I hate that I want him on this team. I hate the idea of moving up but the kid seems like he has himself together also on the field he is just dangerous. The weapons we would have is just disgusting. Also he is use to catching terrible passes from Boyd so he clearly has good hands. Him, and Cj can't be single covered and really if you get Tate on a nickel or safety he would win that battle most times. It makes the heart race thinking of the offense we could have. Stafford could get 6,000 yards and 80 TDs. Not really but would be cool.

heres the dilemma I think mayhew is faced with. I don't think he neccesarily looking at Watkins and saying I have to move up to get him cause I NEED him in my offense. I think hes looking at whats going to be left at 10 and thinking he needs to make a move. Moving down is going to be difficult cause theres not going to be many guys other teams see worth trading up for. Theres more than likely still 2 quality safties on the board. 2 solid corners. MAYYYbe a solid LT if were lucky. If Mayhew doesn't want to draft a LT or Gilbert hes basically in no mans land as far as a need/bpa pick goes. As a lot of ppl already stated....it seems he likes Houston a lot. so maybe gilbert is out of the question. Whats left?

HHCD - Do you use your #10 pick on a safety that's probably the 3rd safety on your team and only sees the field for certain coverage match ups on TEs? Doesn't really have the talent at the level of previous top 10 safties.

Ebron - Would have been fine...then we resigned Droptimus prime.

Mosely- top 10 lbs are meh at best as far as value is typically concerned. Esp in our defense where Bentley is usually on the field in place of them.

Barr - Does he fit? Combine showed a lack of explosion. 2 years on the defensive side of the ball....former rb. Can he add bulk and be a true 4-3 DE cause he doesn't have the explosiveness Avril had to be that wide 9 guy...

This list of players could be the reason mayhew thinks he has to move up to get a piece he likes. "deep draft" usually equates to not being very top heavy and this draft is no different after you get out of the top 6 or 7. Perfect draft to move down if you can find an idiot to do it. rds 2 - 4 will be littered with talent.

Last edited:
heres the dilemma I think mayhew is faced with. I don't think he neccesarily looking at Watkins and saying I have to move up to get him cause I NEED him in my offense. I think hes looking at whats going to be left at 10 and thinking he needs to make a move. Moving down is going to be difficult cause theres not going to be many guys other teams see worth trading up for. Theres more than likely still 2 quality safties on the board. 2 solid corners. MAYYYbe a solid LT if were lucky. If Mayhew doesn't want to draft a LT or Gilbert hes basically in no mans land as far as a need/bpa pick goes. As a lot of ppl already stated....it seems he likes Houston a lot. so maybe gilbert is out of the question. Whats left?

HHCD - Do you use your #10 pick on a safety that's probably the 3rd safety on your team and only sees the field for certain coverage match ups on TEs? Doesn't really have the talent at the level of previous top 10 safties.

Ebron - Would have been fine...then we resigned Droptimus prime.

Mosely- top 10 lbs are meh at best as far as value is typically concerned. Esp in our defense where Bentley is usually on the field in place of them.

Barr - Does he fit? Combine showed a lack of explosion. 2 years on the defensive side of the ball....former rb. Can he add bulk and be a true 4-3 DE cause he doesn't have the explosiveness Avril had to be that wide 9 guy...

This list of players could be the reason mayhew thinks he has to move up to get a piece he likes. "deep draft" usually equates to not being very top heavy and this draft is no different after you get out of the top 6 or 7. Perfect draft to move down if you can find an idiot to do it. rds 2 - 4 will be littered with talent.

I pretty much agree. For the first time today have I actually had a chance to start really evaluating some of the players. I just havent had time to do my usual scouting. But as far as our weaknesses unfortunately this draft just doesn't have much to offer. We can draft to our strengths this year because there is plenty of talent there and honestly we could use some more talent on dline and wr. The cbs and safeties are farely overrated imo. No real 4-3 olbs and outside of Clowney i don't see a top end DE. Ebron would have been nice but I also think they like what Grew gives them with his middle work.

McShay has Gilbert dropping to late first in his new mock. What would it take to move back into the first to get him and do you think it would be worth it?

McDouche is the biggest tool out there and usually has no clue what he's even talking about. As bad as Kiper is, i'd still trust his evaluations 10x more than McDouche's.

that being said, i wouldn't put a lot of stock into that mock

Last edited:
with our depth issues why would they consider trading up???????? should be trading down. could this be a set up to get somebody to trade up to 10?

with our depth issues why would they consider trading up???????? should be trading down. could this be a set up to get somebody to trade up to 10?

for who ??? all the talent is in 5 - 7 guys , after that its all hope you find a gem.

Because there a limited number of elite players in this draft and we likely wouldn't get one of them at 10. Also, Mayhew probably doesn't like his options at 10. I don't necessarily agree with him, but that's my guess. Trading down would be great, but it's a lot harder to trade down than it is to trade up since you need an interested team.

philly and pitt would both be good spots since they need WRs. if Gilbert isn't available. trade with Pitt in particular and get the extra picks, draft Denarrd

philly and pitt would both be good spots since they need WRs. if Gilbert isn't available. trade with Pitt in particular and get the extra picks, draft Denarrd

Mayhew wants a WR too. Which is why hes trying to trade up cause theres a good chance theres no WR worthwhile there at 10. He has to make an educated guess whos still going to be there at 10. Once he realized theres no one worth trading up for at 10 it seems hes all in to move up. Or hes creating a smokescreen for no apparent reason. Or hes dumb...

Why would Pitt or Philly trade up to 10 to grab a WR??? Philly has Maclin and Cooper as their 2 starters at WR. Pitt does need a WR opposite Antonio Brown, but unless Evans is still there, the rest of the WRs should still be there at 15 when Pitt is supposed to pick.

Why would Pitt or Philly trade up to 10 to grab a WR??? Philly has Maclin and Cooper as their 2 starters at WR. Pitt does need a WR opposite Antonio Brown, but unless Evans is still there, the rest of the WRs should still be there at 15 when Pitt is supposed to pick.

philly just dropped desean jackson

Mayhew wants a WR too. Which is why hes trying to trade up cause theres a good chance theres no WR worthwhile there at 10. He has to make an educated guess whos still going to be there at 10. Once he realized theres no one worth trading up for at 10 it seems hes all in to move up. Or hes creating a smokescreen for no apparent reason. Or hes dumb...

that video u posted did not once mention mayhew or the lions so pipe it unless u have proof

philly just dropped desean jackson

One of the two WR (or both) that are comparable to Desean Jackson will most likely be available when the Eagles pick (Cooks, Beckham Jr).

That's assuming they're desperate to replace Jackson but considering they dropped him for nothing, I doubt that's the case.

Back