Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

For anti-BLM, what history rhymes?

Gulo Blue

I've seen pro-BLM posts drawing comparisons to past civil rights protests, but not anti-BLM comparisons.

Are there good examples from that point of view? Events that anti-BLM people see similarities in? Historic cases of nation wide protests against some form of discrimination that were actually over nothing but misconceptions (or whatever, re-frame the anti-BLM position as you see fit.)

I've seen plenty of memes comparing photos of MLK's activism to the riots and looting and making the point that the former is a protest, the latter is a crime.

I wouldn't necessarily call them anti-BLM, but definitely anti-rioting.

Last edited:
I've also seen plenty of posts making the point that the platform behind these protests are incompatible with the timeless founding principles of the United States. And not that they're necessary but there are plenty of posts pointing out the idiocy of these claims about the US being based on white supremacy.

Last edited:
I've also seen plenty of posts making the point that the platform behind these protests are incompatible with the timeless founding principles of the United States. And not that they're necessary but there are plenty of posts pointing out the idiocy of these claims about the US being based on white supremacy.

I've seen that kind of stuff too. But what I'm asking is when in history did it turn out decades later that it was a mass of protesters this size claiming discrimination that was on "the wrong side of history"?

I've seen that kind of stuff too. But what I'm asking is when in history did it turn out decades later that it was a mass of protesters this size claiming discrimination that was on "the wrong side of history"?

I'm not sure, but there's no historical analog requirement for determining right and wrong. If you're wondering if there are any instances where the crowd got it wrong, history is replete with examples of the dangers of consensus thought and mob rule on just about anything from genocide to asset bubbles.

Last edited:
you should try getting outside of academia once in a while. Dey got ya all woke messed up. You going to be one of the first in line when they 1619 the history books handing over your privileged stuff?

Last edited:
you should try getting outside of academia once in a while. Dey got ya all woke messed up. You going to be one of the first in line when they 1619 the history books handing over your privileged stuff?

I've been out for a long time. Like since the Rich Rod days.

College bad. YouTube good.

as a general rule, when it comes to political bent the first part of this is pretty accurate. US colleges are institutions of left wing indoctrination - there's no denying that. Except by the people who deny there's bias in the media.

Last edited:
that depends on the college and programs, political science, journalism and liberal arts are all indoctrination programs.

This is why college should be free so everyone can go.

as a general rule, when it comes to political bent the first part of this is pretty accurate. US colleges are institutions of left wing indoctrination - there's no denying that. Except by the people who deny there's bias in the media.

I think it all depends on your degree. Aside from a couple pre req classes in my 1st year, I don't remember an attempt to indoctrinate me in one direction or another. But I can't imagine it's very easy to put a liberal (or conservative) agenda in thermodynamics, chemistry, physics, etc.

Now if you're going for some liberal arts or humanities degree? Sure, I can see it. Though I know plenty of people that came out of similiar degrees a staunch conservative.

Blaming the ills of the country on the educated is bizarre to me but it seems to gain more and more steam as I grow older. Karen with her essential oils thinks she's smarter than her doctor. Doug jerks off while watching 'Dirty Jobs' with Mike Rowe, convinced his career as a 'lawn maintenance technician' is just as challenging as an engineer or architect. Both are watching YouTube and Facebook, while trying to lecture people with actual educations and life experiences beyond their home town where they were born and will also die that they need to 'dO tHe rEsEaRcH'.

I think it all depends on your degree. Aside from a couple pre req classes in my 1st year, I don't remember an attempt to indoctrinate me in one direction or another. But I can't imagine it's very easy to put a liberal (or conservative) agenda in thermodynamics, chemistry, physics, etc.

Now if you're going for some liberal arts or humanities degree? Sure, I can see it. Though I know plenty of people that came out of similiar degrees a staunch conservative.

Blaming the ills of the country on the educated is bizarre to me but it seems to gain more and more steam as I grow older. Karen with her essential oils thinks she's smarter than her doctor. Doug jerks off while watching 'Dirty Jobs' with Mike Rowe, convinced his career as a 'lawn maintenance technician' is just as challenging as an engineer or architect. Both are watching YouTube and Facebook, while trying to lecture people with actual educations and life experiences beyond their home town where they were born and will also die that they need to 'dO tHe rEsEaRcH'.

Science, technical and most business related degrees are non-political. But liberal arts, including economics are overwhelmingly political. And professors, from all discipline are overwhelmingly liberal to radical leftists. Just look at political contribution data from professors and university employees. It must be nearly impossible for a conservative to get hired in academia - without digging further into the data and considering things like selection bias, I’d say that’s clear evidence of discrimination.

I’m not blaming the ills of society on the educated but they’re not blameless. People learn these ideas as awe-struck young adults with no real world experience and there’s virtually no challenge to it from another person with a PhD after their name so these ideas are authoritative. They don’t learn the truth until they see the consequences much later. The fools that vote for these people, many of whom aren’t “educated” are just as much to blame for the ills of society but again, these ideas they’re voting for are coming from somewhere and they’re no less vulnerable to the argument from authority - “this person is a PhD or has a Masters from university XYZZY, they’ve studied this and therefore are an authority on the subject.” Most voters don’t read history or economic theory or seek out perspective from anywhere outside the public sector, which is dominated by leftists.

Edit: I don't think I've ever heard Mike Rowe saying any job is just as hard as another. His whole thing is about the importance of labor and finding dignity in honest work whether the job requires a college degree or not.

Last edited:
like I said, it depends on the college and specific programs. And if we make it all FREE I want all the money back I already paid in for the kids education.

bunch of overly educated yuppies. why even go to college at all, just shut them all down and put everyone on the 1,200 a month gumbit stay home stay safe plan, sit around watch youtube and netflix all day, eat very poorly, take all your vaccines. specifically the new mRNA ones coming for covid and gleefully soft off yourself. Keep Gates smiling.

Last edited:
like I said, it depends on the college and specific programs. And if we make it all FREE I want all the money back I already paid in for the kids education.

bunch of overly educated yuppies. why even go to college at all, just shut them all down and put everyone on the 1,200 a month gumbit stay home stay safe plan, sit around watch youtube and netflix all day, eat very poorly, take all your vaccines. specifically the new mRNA ones coming for covid and gleefully soft off yourself. Keep Gates smiling.

But....what if they also took the InfoWars supplements Alex Jones insists will make them healthier? Seems like it could balance it all out. :cheers:

Back