Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fox News Game

we've talked about Jillian and how she's still bitter about getting fired from Fox in prior threads. It sounds like your info is more current - I'm going back to about 2006 or 7 when my friend was getting random bids on the street for more than the price of a new Prius at the time and it was probably 2010 give or take a year that it was totaled in an accident - so maybe they went back to issuing them.

Maybe; I had a Mazda Protoge for years, and now a drive a Mazda 3 - zoom, zoom - the economy compact that thinks it's a sports car (the Protege was too).

Jillian doesn't seem bitter about all that much when I hear her on the radio, although I think she hasn't gotten laid in a while, and would to.

So even if I'm off by 1/3, which I'm not, it doesn't change the point in any meaningful way which is that hybrids are for wealthy liberals who want to tell everyone their shit doesn't stink because they drive a prius while by far most of their carbon footprint comes from their houses.

Regarding the rest of this, even if you could argue away the carbon savings of the electric vehicles (and I don't think you can) early adopters can still feel like they've contributed by supporting the industry in its early stages. Provided the technology improves in time and carbon saving increase, early adopters are critical to making it get there at all even if the technology isn't getting it done for the first few generations.

I doubt it. I know the type of calculation you're talking about and if you've got a reference, I'd check it out, but I'm skeptical. I don't really doubt there's some difference, but enough to offset the savings over the life of the car? I doubt that.

Also, you're stipulating that all the power has to come form coal (and I bet whoever created that comparison picked a bad number for coal trusting nobody who check the stat to that degree.) The link I provided is a more fair way to do it. Use the numbers that reflect what actually happens, not some worst case scenario.

it's also for electric only cars which have the largest carbon footprint to produce. But nobody really drives purely electric cars. While the effect is less for hybrids, it's still significant. I don't really see how the DOE calculation is right or even "more fair" if it completely ignores the increased carbon footprint of production - the difference may not be zero, but it's definitely not 1/3 lower. But I don't really care about the proof. It's a minor point so if it makes you happy, for arguments sake, I'll concede it and agree that my statement was an exaggeration. What matters more is the cost of ownership which is prohibitive for most so they're driven by mostly rich liberals who ignore the fact that their carbon footprint from housing dwarfs that from their cars, even before the traded in the Benz or the BMW for the Prius (which doesn't reduce their footprint by as nearly as much as they think it does).

it's also for electric only cars which have the largest carbon footprint to produce. But nobody really drives purely electric cars. While the effect is less for hybrids, it's still significant. I don't really see how the DOE calculation is right or even "more fair" if it completely ignores the increased carbon footprint of production - the difference may not be zero, but it's definitely not 1/3 lower. But I don't really care about the proof. It's a minor point so if it makes you happy, for arguments sake, I'll concede it and agree that my statement was an exaggeration. What matters more is the cost of ownership which is prohibitive for most so they're driven by mostly rich liberals who ignore the fact that their carbon footprint from housing dwarfs that from their cars, even before the traded in the Benz or the BMW for the Prius (which doesn't reduce their footprint by as nearly as much as they think it does).

What's the argument against cost of ownership? I'm not sure I follow how that's the main thing. Because they're rich, they're probably wasteful elsewhere in their lives?

If that's it, I'm cool with that as the main argument. I'm just in favor of developing conservation technologies and the early adopters that buy in before a thing is really ready to go bigtime are an important part. Go ahead and attack the liberals, but not the cars.

Last edited:
Maybe; I had a Mazda Protoge for years, and now a drive a Mazda 3 - zoom, zoom - the economy compact that thinks it's a sports car (the Protege was too).

Jillian doesn't seem bitter about all that much when I hear her on the radio, although I think she hasn't gotten laid in a while, and would to.

she seemed pretty bitter about it when I saw her on some reality show my wife used to watch.

it's also for electric only cars which have the largest carbon footprint to produce.

I'm a little surprised all electric is worse than hybrid (since hybrid has the most parts.) I'm guessing the batteries are the big difference.

she seemed pretty bitter about it when I saw her on some reality show my wife used to watch.

On the radio she said she was also going through crap with her husband as that show was being produced, too...but she also said that like all "reality" programming, they play the drama up to the hilt...and then the drama gets further played up through the editing...

I don't know, she talks about how much she likes all the dudes she worked with in front of the cameras, and the British guy who produces Fox NFL Sunday who hired her...

Now...

She also did a national morning talk show for Fox which she got dumped from after three seasons...and yeah, she does talk about how much getting dumped from that pissed her off at the time...

I never saw the reality show; I really only listen to her on the radio when I'm driving around since it's illegal now for me to surf the web instead...

What's the argument against cost of ownership? I'm not sure I follow how that's the main thing. Because they're rich, they're probably wasteful elsewhere in their lives?

If that's it, I'm cool with that as the main argument. I'm just in favor of developing conservation technologies and the early adopters that buy in before a thing is really ready to go bigtime are an important part. Go ahead and attack the liberals, but not the cars.

Cost of ownership puts them out of reach for most Americans. And those who can afford them seem to be completely ignorant not only to the fact that they're not doing the planet as big a favor as they think, but more importantly to the fact that their carbon footprint from housing is much greater than it is from their cars. So your McMansion w/ 2 full sized refrigerators plus a wine fridge, 2 dishwashers, 2 washer/dryer sets, heated pool, 3 AC units, outdoor kitchen, 7 TVs, a PC, iphone and iPad for every kid has a prius parked in the heated garage - good for you, the planet owes you a a great big thanks.

Last edited:
Cost of ownership puts them out of reach for most Americans. And those who can afford them seem to be completely ignorant not only to the fact that they're not doing the planet as big a favor as they think, but more importantly to the fact that their carbon footprint from housing is much greater than it is from their cars. So your McMansion w/ 2 full sized refrigerators plus a wine fridge, 2 dishwashers, 2 washer/dryer sets, heated pool, 3 AC units, outdoor kitchen, 7 TVs, a PC, iphone and iPad for every kid has a prius parked in the heated garage - good for you, the planet owes you a a great big thanks.

Anecdotal - or even wholly made up - evidence trumps all else on the Internet I guess.

Anecdotal - or even wholly made up - evidence trumps all else on the Internet I guess.

I don't know ..I can think of a few "progressive" douche bags in Boulder or Aspen who would fit this description .

Sort of like the Diet Coke to go with the SuperSized burger and fries. It's a bit hypocritial. And saying that, we have neighbors in our old school city neighborhood who drive a Prius and have an incredibly small carbon footprint.

But they're hippies my parents age - Dave is a musician and was at Woodstock and his wife in an accountant for Century Link and a competitive Wogger.

Last edited:
I don't know ..I can think of a few "progressive" douche bags in Boulder or Aspen who would fit this description .

Oh. So probably everyone - or at least almost everyone - that owns a Prius, Insight, etc. hypocritically offsets the reduction in their carbon footprint they achieve by driving a hybrid by buying a 3500 sq. foot. McMansion, stocking it with all sorts of uncessary consumer electronics, running heating/cooling at full blast while leaving all the windows open.

And all liberals are either rich white people like those above (every white liberal college professor you know also lives like that), or inner city blacks and Mexicans, so... discount every economic, labor, social, racial & environmental theory or proposal they put forth, because they're all hypocrites who don't practice what they preach, and only have those opinions just to make hard-working former construction workers with MBAs from UChicago like Spartanhack feel guilty about themselves.

That accurate?

I think that pretty much wraps it all up in a nice little, easy-to-understand worldview.

It's no different than finding the one Black Republican or the one Woman candidate.

Alan Keyes, I am looking at you ...

Oh. So probably everyone - or at least almost everyone - that owns a Prius, Insight, etc. hypocritically offsets the reduction in their carbon footprint they achieve by driving a hybrid by buying a 3500 sq. foot. McMansion, stocking it with all sorts of uncessary consumer electronics, running heating/cooling at full blast while leaving all the windows open.

And all liberals are either rich white people like those above (every white liberal college professor you know also lives like that), or inner city blacks and Mexicans, so... discount every economic, labor, social, racial & environmental theory or proposal they put forth, because they're all hypocrites who don't practice what they preach, and only have those opinions just to make hard-working former construction workers with MBAs from UChicago like Spartanhack feel guilty about themselves.

That accurate?

I think that pretty much wraps it all up in a nice little, easy-to-understand worldview.

You're so fuckin stupid.

Back