Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 11: Bills @ Lions *Thanksgiving* Thread

No unless the timeout helped to get a first down on 3rd and 1. That was a terrible play choice to the wrong Wr. Williams isn?t on the field yet.
Im buying into his staff also. But on 3rd and 1 get the first down and take 3 shots and winning and Allen never touches the ball in regulation.
Why throw long on 3rd and 1 ? You can do both you know. That play had no chance to succeed it wasn?t even close.

Chark beat his guy. Goff bad throw and not on same page. One on one and Chark a deep threat. Lack of execution. And Ben Johnson on the call not Campbell maybe but Campbell didnt veto. Also measurement stopped clock some too

But agree they didnt play to win other than deep shot. And first half they definitelt gave bills 3 points

Swift didnt catch ball on 1st down missed fg drive and bryant penalty giving them 1st and goal were the killers too

Last edited:
The only thought I had in the chark discussion is that chark has been hurl most of the year and we had already being seeing evidence he and goof were not in sync the week before and yesterday so why go with a play to a guy you?re not in sync with yet with the game on the line.

Again the biggest issue with some of the coaches this year has been, can?t get out of their own way. Making it more difficult than it needs to be

Last edited:
Clark should not have been the option on 3rd and 1. Ben gets to pass happy in the 4th. Play on 3rd and 1 was getting the first down and play for the win the next 3 plays. Kick the fg if that fails.

Clark should not have been the option on 3rd and 1. Ben gets to pass happy in the 4th. Play on 3rd and 1 was getting the first down and play for the win the next 3 plays. Kick the fg if that fails.

Looks like they had 2 timeouts left. A pass on that down is fine if you are going for the win. I thought it was a great play but Goof missed the throw.

Reactions: 503
Looks like they had 2 timeouts left. A pass on that down is fine if you are going for the win. I thought it was a great play but Goof missed the throw.

He misses a lot of throws the good ones make. He?s a mediocre QB who does not make game winning plays when needed.

We all know we need to improve the defense, my hope is we take priority into improving the QB. Draft a QB early, let Goff go, and you have plenty of other draft capital and salary to improve defense.

Amazing idiots . I love the Lions but they have to learn from this mistake.,
3rd and 1 .
Get the first down damn it . Make the Bills use their timeouts. Oh and you have 3 majors cracks at winning the game. Can?t wait till Valenti and 97.1 rip this staffs mismanagement of clock on Monday because it is coming.
Him and Boomer Esiason on NFL cash the ticket we?re ripping our staff.
Boomer knows more about football then all of us and he said Dan is just not good at clock management

Dan mismatch management the clock in the Bills game. The guys are playing for this guy. I do not want him fired.
Damn it he has to learn and get better at it.

Last edited:
Amazing idiots . I love the Lions but they have to learn from this mistake.,
3rd and 1 .
Get the first down damn it . Make the Bills use their timeouts. Oh and you have 3 majors cracks at winning the game. Can?t wait till Valenti and 97.1 rip this staffs mismanagement of clock on Monday because it is coming.
Him and Boomer Esiason on NFL cash the ticket we?re ripping our staff.
Boomer knows more about football then all of us and he said Dan is just not good at clock management

Dan mismatch management the clock in the Bills game. The guys are playing for this guy. I do not want him fired.
Damn it he has to learn and get better at it.

We didn?t burn timeouts, got in field goal range, tied the game and left the Bills 20 seconds. How did he mismanage the clock? If he would have ?managed? the clock and used timeouts, Bills would?ve had even more time. Unfortunately, Allen is one of the handful of QBs who can score w 20 seconds left.

My complaint was Dan playing more not to let Allen get the ball back over winning, but that opinion changed on the 3rd and 1 pass.

We didn?t burn timeouts, got in field goal range, tied the game and left the Bills 20 seconds. How did he mismanage the clock? If he would have ?managed? the clock and used timeouts, Bills would?ve had even more time. Unfortunately, Allen is one of the handful of QBs who can score w 20 seconds left.

My complaint was Dan playing more not to let Allen get the ball back over winning, but that opinion changed on the 3rd and 1 pass.

Again agree ro disagree but 3rd and 1 we could have made sure Allen never touched the ball in regulation. Listen to 97.1 they will explain it all to you Monday. No reason take a shot on 3rd and 1 with a wr who has not been a main target all season. Get first down and have e more shots to win. Then kick fg of you don't won.

Again agree ro disagree but 3rd and 1 we could have made sure Allen never touched the ball in regulation. Listen to 97.1 they will explain it all to you Monday. No reason take a shot on 3rd and 1 with a wr who has not been a main target all season. Get first down and have e more shots to win. Then kick fg of you don't won.

Hindsight is 20/20. If the pass was completed, it would?ve been genius. If the run was stopped, they?d crucify for running a play everyone knew was coming w 2 backup guards. What if we lose 2 yards on the run and miss the FG, then what would they say?

It?s easy to sit behind a mic and explain what a team should?ve done after a loss. You and I could do that.

Last edited:
Again 3rd 1 run over a pass to a wr that they hardly have used this yea. They tried the same thing tp Reynolds on 4th and 1. I get it if it'll it is brown or Williams. But just get the First down and Allen never sees the ball in regulation.

Last edited:
Again 3rd 1 run over a pass to a wr that they hardly have used this yea. They tried the same thing tp Reynolds on 4th and 1. I get it if it'll it is brown or Williams. But just get the First down and Allen never sees the ball in regulation.

Could still just get a FG, Bill get ball first in OT and go right down and score TD. So who knows. More mad about the Swift miss throw on 1st down/Badgley miss and the Bryant penalty. And the other scoring TD drives allowed too. It's always more than just one play too.

Lions haven't been good in power run situations other than goal line. Didn't Swift trip or something to come up 1 yard short too.

Plus they all know we are trying to go to Brown too so makes sense for the 1 on 1. Chark is a deep threat and jump ball guy too. Sucks they didn't execute and sucks we didn't run the ball well either against Buffalo (a good run D even missing Edmunds, Hyde, Rosseau/Espensa and Von Miller)

Yeah proves I?m right. So many better choices then a 3rd and 1 bomb to your 3rd air 4th best target. Dan has lost at
Least two games with his poor decisions. Hopefully he learns.

That doesn?t prove anything besides someone sitting behind a mic and criticizing ?clock management?. Lol

I agree w the first half mismanagement but not late game. Dan played the clock well and called a potential game winning 3rd and 1. There was 28 seconds left in the game when the 3rd and 1 was called. If we run and pick up the first down, don?t you think everyone at Ford Field knows we?re passing on the next 3-plays to try and win? Do we really think Goff makes a game winning 20-30 yard completion when Buffalo plays the pass, I sure the fuck don?t?! He called a ballsy play for the win, it didn?t work and he made the correct decision on 4th w a FG. Play calling/time management didn?t lose the game, defense letting Buffalo get in FG range w 20 seconds lost this one. He left 20 seconds on the clock and he?s being bashed. It was actually one of his best clock managements of the season, it just didn?t go our way.

I?d be willing to bet(whether you admit it or not) that you and the Dan radio hater were both screaming for Dan to use timeouts when we had the ball. That would have even left more time for Allen.

That doesn?t prove anything besides someone sitting behind a mic and criticizing ?clock management?. Lol

I agree w the first half mismanagement but not late game. Dan played the clock well and called a potential game winning 3rd and 1. There was 28 seconds left in the game when the 3rd and 1 was called. If we run and pick up the first down, don?t you think everyone at Ford Field knows we?re passing on the next 3-plays to try and win? Do we really think Goff makes a game winning 20-30 yard completion when Buffalo plays the pass, I sure the fuck don?t?! He called a ballsy play for the win, it didn?t work and he made the correct decision on 4th w a FG. Play calling/time management didn?t lose the game, defense letting Buffalo get in FG range w 20 seconds lost this one. He left 20 seconds on the clock and he?s being bashed. It was actually one of his best clock managements of the season, it just didn?t go our way.

I?d be willing to bet(whether you admit it or not) that you and the Dan radio hater were both screaming for Dan to use timeouts when we had the ball. That would have even left more time for Allen.

No I wanted the first down. Who cares who uses the time outs there ? The whole point is to make sure if at all possible Allen does not touch the ball until at least overtime.
Because if we just get the first down so many good options are left. You have 3 more shots to win and yes the clock will run some as the Bills start to use their timeouts. How hard is it it to understand how bad a call that throw was.
First it?s a low percentage throw.Second We had tried the same thing at Minnesota on 4th down and that wasn?t even close. Third you are throwing it to a player who has hardly played. I don?t give a shit if he beat his guy they were not on the same page and it wasn?t close.
If you run 3 more plays before you kick the fg assuming you don?t win Allen probably has under 10-15 seconds because each play will take a few off and maybe we get the game to ot Where we have a 50/50 shot at winning the coin flip .All in all it?s just a low number of people who think that throw was smart because it wasn?t. The lions throw to Clark. Brown was winning his routes all day. 1 yard run Williams and another 5 to 7 seconds goes off the clock then try to win. Kick fg with way less time on it and probably a lot closer then 51 yards.
Btw I was screaming at the dumb Ass play call because we all knew right when he threw the ball that it had no chance at a completion and we are wonder where this hard as running team Dan wants is ? Don?t care how good the Bills are . Miller was out and 1 yard was doable.
Dan is a coaching contradiction. He has so much chew in his mouth he can?t think straight sometimes. Hopefully he starts learning because he has cost the team at least 2 games.

Last edited:
Yeah proves I?m right. So many better choices then a 3rd and 1 bomb to your 3rd air 4th best target. Dan has lost at
Least two games with his poor decisions. Hopefully he learns.

Not sure Goff going deep there is a Dan Campbell decision. Getting the 1st down was the goal all along. Goff made a terrible decision and worse than that.....he HAD HIS GUY open and underthrew it by 10 yards or so.

It was a terrible decision compounded by an unbelievably bad throw. Goff really showed his down side on one play. My guess is that it's one of the reasons the Rams didn't want him anymore. Poor situational awareness......awful decision....worse throw.

Not sure Goff going deep there is a Dan Campbell decision. Getting the 1st down was the goal all along. Goff made a terrible decision and worse than that.....he HAD HIS GUY open and underthrew it by 10 yards or so.

It was a terrible decision compounded by an unbelievably bad throw. Goff really showed his down side on one play. My guess is that it's one of the reasons the Rams didn't want him anymore. Poor situational awareness......awful decision....worse throw.

Yes you are right B. But our coach can suggest stuff to his OC. I have a issue with Ben to. 7 to 8 passes in a row from the 10 up 22-19. It was fabulous being aggressive from our own 10 yard line. But after we got out to the 40 mix in the run. We were lucky because the first pass Jackson had to save a Int. Next two passes were not close punt. Mix in a Run Ben!

Last edited:
Yes you are right B. But our coach can suggest stuff to his OC. I have a issue with Ben to. 7 to 8 passes in a row from the 10 up 22-19. It was fabulous being aggressive from our own 10 yard line. But after we got out to the 40 mix in the run. We were lucky because the first pass Jackson had to save a Int. Next two passes were not close punt. Mix in a Run Ben!

Yes and no. It's really easy to sit here and blog (for me too, not just everyone else here) about what "SHOULD" have been done. But until you know all the ins and outs of every play......it is completely impossible to tell WHO is responsible for that kind of stuff. Did Ben Johnson call a few running plays but Goff killed it at the LOS due to the defensive formations? If so, was he right about doing that? Did the Lions think they had a big mismatch in the passing game they wanted to exploit? Did the Bills just play good fucking defense?

Ultimately, the head coach does get the blame......but is it his FAULT?

To me, it is really hard to imagine a head coach in that situation not wanting to just get the 1st down. He very well might have suggested it to BJ.....who called a short yardage running play (with a kill option Goff can call at the line).....Goff saw the defense.....killed the running play and chose the passing option......then made a bad decision and throw.

That is a scenario that happens multiple times in every game played by every team every sunday.

What's DC supposed to do....call out Goff after the game? No, he's not going to do that. He's going to stand up and take it. Like he should. Like he is PAID to do.

Bills were stuffing the run most of the game though and we are not good in power situations other than goal line. Would have liked to see some other route options though on the play. You know they honed in on St Brown for sure. Relying on Kalif Raymond or DJ Chark (who won his one on one matchup) or a backup TE at that point then. Reynolds was hurt and barely played

It's a probable TD and a win if Goff throws a good pass

If it's just a first down and a later FG, who knows what happens in OT

Last edited:
Back