Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 3: Ravens @ Lions Thread

Goff took a pay reduction lol...hows that working out? It comes down to talent....and we have none.

It comes down to coaching....we have less talented players playing hard....for now. Thats a good thing.

We have coaches making bonehead decisions in critical times of the game...thats not so good.

When did Goff take a pay reduction.

When he stopped being any good and the only endorsement he can get is from Ted's Used Car Lot and Sauerkraut Stand.

It was my understanding that their offer was less than Nike's.

True win, free sauerkraut for life is much more important than useless shoes.

No, you are misunderstanding my point.

A team only has so much money due to the Cap. Giving 50% of that money to 3 or 4 players is stupid.

The Rookie Cap allows teams to have superstar players on the cheap for 4 or 5 years. A smart GM would maximize that option and therefore be able to afford additional star, maybe even a superstar or 2, players with the large cap room they made available to themselves by maximizing the number of players under the Rookie Cap.

You just do not understand what I'm saying.

At this point it is best to just agree to disagree.

Didnt he restructure his deal after he was traded to us in order to create more space?

Didnt he restructure his deal after he was traded to us in order to create more space?

I was referring to Stafford, I think you are referring to Goff.

Right now it doesn't really matter because the player making the most on the Lions this year is Dead Money.

Not a paycut. He just gets the money right away and its pushed to later years. Goff has a 31 million cap hit next yea wiht 30 dead. But only 16 dead if traded before the 15 million roster bonus kicks in. woof. Buuut lions still have 45 million in cap space even with 7.1 million in dead space and goff at 31 and flowers at 23

Last edited:
Not a paycut. He just gets the money right away and its pushed to later years. Goff has a 31 million cap hit next yea wiht 30 dead. But only 16 dead if traded before the 15 million roster bonus kicks in. woof. Buuut lions still have 45 million in cap space even with 7.1 million in dead space and goff at 31 and flowers at 23

Flowers is gone. That's a given. He'll be playing in Foxboro next year.

Like it or not, it's very likely going to take another year to get out from under the shit show mess Fat Fucker put us in, cap wise.

I'm absolutely fine trading the #1 overall for more capital. Teams that will likely be looking for a QB in this draft.....

1. Detroit
2. Miami (fuck Tua.....career backup)
3. Pittsburgh
4. Texans
5. Colts
6. Washington (maybe)
7. Giants (maybe)
8. Panthers (maybe....I think Darnold still sucks)
9. Falcons (maybe)
10. Saints (likely.....Jamies probably not the answer)

One of those teams will land Watson if he is available to play. Giants have 2 1sts......Fucking Eagles have 3 (4,8,9 currently). Hopefully Hurts pulls a Goff and sucks donkey balls the last 13 games. I would love to take #4 & #8 for the 1st overall.

Recent draft history makes me uneasy with using a 1st on a QB, though it probably isn't much better or worse than recent eras.

+ outperforming position
= as expected
- underperforming position

Lawrence (2021 - 1) TBD
Wilson (2021 - 2) TBD
Lance (2021 - 3) TBD
Fields (2021 - 11) TBD
M Jones (2021 - 15) TBD
Burrow (2020 - 1) Injury/TBD
Tagovailoa (2020 - 5) Injury/TBD (trending -)
Herbert (2020 - 6) = (maybe even +)
Love (2020 - 26) TBD
Murray (2019 - 1) =
D Jones (2019 - 6) --
Haskins (2019 - 15) Bust
Mayfield (2018 - 1) -
Darnold (2018 - 3) Bust with Jets
Allen (2018 - 7) +
Rosen (2018 - 10) Bust
Jackson (2018 - 32) ++
Trubisky (2017 - 2) Bust
Mahomes (2017 - 10) +++
Watson (2017 - 12) + (off-field issues aside)

Left the 2021 and some 2020 QBs TBD
None of the 2021 QBs have wowed so far, some have looked awful at times. Watched some of the Niners game yesterday, Lance looked decent (very shifty).

Some had the benefit of playing behind a good vet. Lions don't have that luxury, I don't know what a rookie QB could learn from Goff. Lack of future weapons, but at least we have an O-line that won't get a rookie killed.

The rooks this year are playing like rooks, the way it's suppose to happen.. Media expects them to be stars right out of the gate. Maholmes only had 1 game as a rookie. Jackson only a few and wasn't very good. Allen stunk his first year. Rookie's should sit year one, imo.

The rooks this year are playing like rooks, the way it's suppose to happen.. Media expects them to be stars right out of the gate. Maholmes only had 1 game as a rookie. Jackson only a few and wasn't very good. Allen stunk his first year. Rookie's should sit year one, imo.

Good in theory, but I?m not sure it?ll fly here. I fully expect the Lions fanbase to revolt if (insert top 5 pick QB) isn?t starting by October, even if it does more harm than good.

Nobody will want to see Goff when there?s a shiny new toy on the sidelines.

Good in theory, but I?m not sure it?ll fly here. I fully expect the Lions fanbase to revolt if (insert top 5 pick QB) isn?t starting by October, even if it does more harm than good.

Nobody will want to see Goff when there?s a shiny new toy on the sidelines.

Okay play a rookie just expect bad results. But I think it does better sitting.

I'd rather have a rookie playing and learning right now than goff... his cap.... and going 0-17. Said it the second we traded for him it was a dumb move. Who the fuck rebuilds with a retred?... no one unless you're tom Brady and Peyton manning.

I'd rather have a rookie playing and learning right now than goff... his cap.... and going 0-17. Said it the second we traded for him it was a dumb move. Who the fuck rebuilds with a retred?... no one unless you're tom Brady and Peyton manning.

wouldn't you rather have Teddy B, Sewell, and Micah Parsons?

I don't mind the way they've started this rebuild. It's similar to how I would do it given the chance.

1. Get rid of the bad players/contracts ASAP. Let the dead money count against the years where you're going to be bad anyway.
2. Put on a good "we're trying to be competitive while we build" show. Enter Jared Goff. He has some ability but it was a shot in the dark. Puts a few more fans in the seats.
3. Play the young guys.
4. Stockpile picks

Nothing has changed from day one. My guess is that at some point in time someone with even a little bit of football knowledge sat down with Martha/Sheila and told her how void of talent this team was going in to this year. I believe that's why we ended up with Campbell. We needed someone that was willing to do the very long haul way of actually building this team from next to NOTHING. Patricia took an above average roster and completely gutted it with "his guys" in 3 years. Quite literally next to NOTHING left here when he was fired. We had a good QB who was still young enough to trade......and that's about it. No young talent because Patricia/Quinn were so bad at drafting the young guys we did have sucked. Our lone other tradeable player, Golladay, wasn't under contract any longer and would have been too much $ for a rebuilding team to take on.

Anyone who had visions about this team being decent or even next years team competing really needs to take a look at the roster. It's not good. We have one more year of dumping contracts, acquiring young talent in FA and the draft......and I believe in 2023 we will be in a really good spot.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
Maybe. Fuck, Parsons would be nice.

We have 4 1sts the next two years. If we hit with those picks.....I'd rather have that.

the 2 from the Rams are most likely going to be late 20's. The odds of those two guys being impact players is not good. It appears that Parsons has the ability to be a game changer already.

the 2 from the Rams are most likely going to be late 20's. The odds of those two guys being impact players is not good. It appears that Parsons has the ability to be a game changer already.

Maybe. Odafe Oweh, 31st pick, has a VERY similar build/skill set as Parsons. As does Tryon-Sharinka from Tampa.....pick 32.

Too early to tell who will be the best of those players......but one of the two later picks could very well turn out as good as Parsons.

Again....I'd rather have more 1st rounders IF WE HIT.

Last edited:
Maybe. Odafe Oweh, 31st pick, has a VERY similar build/skill set as Parsons. As does Tryon-Sharinka from Tampa.....pick 32.

Too early to tell who will be the best of those players......but one of the two later picks could very well turn out as good as Parsons.

Again....I'd rather have more 1st rounders IF WE HIT.

I get it. If they were going to go that route, maybe they should have moved the Sewell pick too.

I get it. If they were going to go that route, maybe they should have moved the Sewell pick too.

I think Sewell has the potential to be great. I'd like to see him get a little leaner to play LT......but he has played pretty well against some really good DE's so far. Not perfect, Quinn got him a couple times Sunday.....but pretty impressive for a guy who is 20.....hasn't played football in 2 years and spent almost ALL of his rookie year training camp playing RT.

I think Sewell has the potential to be great. I'd like to see him get a little leaner to play LT......but he has played pretty well against some really good DE's so far. Not perfect, Quinn got him a couple times Sunday.....but pretty impressive for a guy who is 20.....hasn't played football in 2 years and spent almost ALL of his rookie year training camp playing RT.

I agree that he has potential to be great. I feel that most top 10 picks should have that same potential.

Back