Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 3: Ravens @ Lions Thread

This team has so many holes and no depth on pretty much the entire defense. The late firsts and early 2nds *should* become starters. The Rams pick and a 2nd could also net a mid first if they choose to move up, but this team needs as many picks as possible right now.

Not sure I?d feel much better with Parsons + special teamer LBs, Will Harris, practice squad CBs, and no extra picks coming up.

I think Sewell loses value if he stays at RT. He obviously seems best suited for LT, depending on what they decide to do when Decker comes back.

This team has so many holes and no depth on pretty much the entire defense. The late firsts and early 2nds *should* become starters. The Rams pick and a 2nd could also net a mid first if they choose to move up, but this team needs as many picks as possible right now.

Not sure I?d feel much better with Parsons + special teamer LBs, Will Harris, practice squad CBs, and no extra picks coming up.

Needs...

2 Starting level S
2 Starting level CB's
2 Starting level LB's
2 Starting level DE's
1 Starting G
2 Starting level WR's (Keep Cephus and Raymond)
1 - Good QB

That is how bad that fat fucker left this roster. Those are just starting level players. Need better depth at LB, OL, CB, S, QB too.

Walker and AO would be good depth. Okwara would be great depth at DE. I like Cephus and Raymond as #3 & #4 WR's.

Just so much to do. Asking Campbell & Holmes to do it in a year or even two is completely unrealistic.

So far the only bad holmes move I think was the trade for trinity benson. There is nothing special about this guy.

I would have gone in a completely different direction than Holmes has:
Take the CAR deal:
Draft Parsons and Fields/Jones (You have Decker under contract...duh)
Draft a S and WR in rds 2 and 3
Have a TON of cap space in 2022

Holmes:
Trade for Goff and 2 future 1st rd picks
Take on Goffs 30 mil cap hit
Draft 2 DTs that rarely even play and dont make any plays when they are in
Nick Williams and Brockers have been more impactful
Our safeties and WRs are shit
We get late 1st rd picks from the Rams
Likely go 0-17 and get put in a position where you almost have to replace Goff with an underwhelming prospect.
Start the rebuild again with a Rookie QB in 2022 or 2023 who will take a couple years to figure it out
By that time DC and Holmes get fired.
Rinse...repeat.

PS...Sewell has had back to back games where his rating was lower than ANY game Decker has ever played.

Last edited:
I kind of question the Brockers signing

I think that falls under the......"we're not giving up on 2021....buy season tickets"!! part of the rebuild.

I do not, for one second, think that Goff or Brockers are in the long term plans.

I would have gone in a completely different direction than Holmes has:
Take the CAR deal:
Draft Parsons and Fields/Jones (You have Decker under contract...duh)
Draft a S and WR in rds 2 and 3
Have a TON of cap space in 2022

Holmes:
Trade for Goff and 2 future 1st rd picks
Take on Goffs 30 mil cap hit
Draft 2 DTs that rarely even play and dont make any plays when they are in
Nick Williams and Brockers have been more impactful
Our safeties and WRs are shit
We get late 1st rd picks from the Rams
Likely go 0-17 and get put in a position where you almost have to replace Goff with an underwhelming prospect.
Start the rebuild again with a Rookie QB in 2022 or 2023 who will take a couple years to figure it out
By that time DC and Holmes get fired.
Rinse...repeat.

PS...Sewell has had back to back games where his rating was lower than ANY game Decker has ever played.

I definitely think you have some valid points. I for one though did not like Fields enough to take him this past draft. I thought Mac Jones would be solid, but not someone I would build my franchise around. He will always linger around the top 15-20 QB's with maybe a couple better seasons thrown in similar to a Jat Cutler or Joe Flacco career arc. Honestly not much better then Goff long term. For me it was Lawrence/Wilson/Lance or don't take one at all and they all went top three.

Even if we went the way you said we would still need DT's next year. Williams is gone after this year and Brockers has been average at best. We would need to draft some in 2022 if we didn't this year.

I think my biggest gripe is Goff. I understand the why we did it (to gamble on his theoretical upside without giving up any resources outside of cap space). I personally would have been happier just rolling with Tyrod Taylor or Cam Newton and keeping the cap space. We could have used that cap space by front loading some extensions or rolling it into next year. I would have loved to extend Ragnow and Hockenson with that money and pushed a bulk of their money up front to make their cap hits more manageable in the future and have more money freed up when we are a better team. Could you imagine doing that and then drafting a rookie this year? We would have some of our best players biggest cap hits already on the books with a rookie QB contract. Could've made for them interesting possibilities in 2023 if all went well.

Either way I wouldn't judge Holmes/Campbell solely on that and am still optimistic these are the guys to get this thing turned around.

Back