Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 3: Ravens @ Lions Thread

Boomer Esiason said it best during the half time when he said "There are no Lion Wide Receivers on that team that anyone fears"

the is a true statement

Hock is supposed to be their biggest pass catching threat and they only targeted him 2 times yesterday. I wonder if that's coaching / game plan mistake or on Goff.

Hock is supposed to be their biggest pass catching threat and they only targeted him 2 times yesterday. I wonder if that's coaching / game plan mistake or on Goff.

Looked to me the Ravens bracketed Hockenson all throughout the game. Think that?s why they went heavy Swift in the 2nd half. Basically they made other players beat them. Don?t be surprised to see a lot of that coming up.

Looked to me the Ravens bracketed Hockenson all throughout the game. Think that?s why they went heavy Swift in the 2nd half. Basically they made other players beat them. Don?t be surprised to see a lot of that coming up.

That?s what it looked like to me. I saw more than one guy on Hock on nearly every passing play. Defenses are catching on and we?ll see if Goff can adjust. I was worried this might happen, though I?m a bit surprised it took two games.

That?s what it looked like to me. I saw more than one guy on Hock on nearly every passing play. Defenses are catching on and we?ll see if Goff can adjust. I was worried this might happen, though I?m a bit surprised it took two games.

I feel that any good coach would be able to scheme him open or take advantage of a defense that double teams a TE. We'll see if the OC / play caller has any brains

I feel that any good coach would be able to scheme him open or take advantage of a defense that double teams a TE. We'll see if the OC / play caller has any brains

They just don?t have the talent. If it were as simple as scheme, Goff would probably still be in a Rams uniform.

A few quotes from Campbell on some of the decisions at the end

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...ns-late-game-conservative-play-timeout-ravens

In summary?

- Decided to go conservative because he thought the defense was playing well
- Called a TO on 4th and 19 to regroup and get everyone on the same page, everyone was except for one guy (not named)
- A lot of miscommunication between LBs and DBs, inexperience and lack of cohesion were factors but the vets need to do a better job communicating

Jeff Risden from Lions and Browns wire said he watch Hockenson on every play and he was open multiple times and a Jeff didn?t go off his first read on many plays which was the knock The Rams staff had against him. Idk just passing on what I heard on the radio.

They only things Shelia should say would be to go tell the GD coaching staff that playing not to lose will NOT be acceptable!

Oh I agree. Hate prevent. Always have. It?s only use should come when you?re up multiple scores late and only multiple quick scores gets the opponent back in it.

And yes, she SHOULD say something, publicly, about the officiating. If she wants to change a culture, try changing the ownership culture first.

Jeff Risden from Lions and Browns wire said he watch Hockenson on every play and he was open multiple times and a Jeff didn?t go off his first read on many plays which was the knock The Rams staff had against him. Idk just passing on what I heard on the radio.

Goff is a 2 read QB. After that, it?s check down or roll. He?s slightly better than Joey Harrington.

Goff is a 2 read QB. After that, it?s check down or roll. He?s slightly better than Joey Harrington.

I dislike Goff more with each game, was hoping there might be something, anything there but he really just is who he is. Won?t be too happy if he?s still around after ?23. He?s serviceable enough I guess, would not be surprised he ends up starting for 5-6 teams throughout his career.

A few quotes from Campbell on some of the decisions at the end

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...ns-late-game-conservative-play-timeout-ravens

In summary?

- Decided to go conservative because he thought the defense was playing well
- Called a TO on 4th and 19 to regroup and get everyone on the same page, everyone was except for one guy (not named)
- A lot of miscommunication between LBs and DBs, inexperience and lack of cohesion were factors but the vets need to do a better job communicating

He thought wrong and it doesn?t matter if the defense is playing well or not there is no guarantee the no name FG kickers makes that and given the chance to score TD?s always attempt score Touchdown Campbell ya f?n idiot you play to win the game! Not burn opposition time outs

Are you seriously suggesting Stafford was incapable of taking a pay cut? GTFO with that BS. He made his choices, Brady made his. The mother fucker took up over 10% of the team's salary cap by himself. That is the choice he made. He could have earned half that salary and still made more than most people will make in their life, so don't cry to me about how strapped for for cash he was.

He was a greedy, self-centered, non-team oriented guy and because he, Suh, and CJ ate up 50% of the cap the Lions were never able to win a single gucking playoff game with him at QB.

Yes, I include Suh and CJ in this. The 3 of them were only about themselves and not the team. Each is responsible, but Stafford the most. He was the "leader"... so lead by example. Are you wanting to win SBs or make bank... not to mention likely not get your body injured as frequently because the D would have more talented OL to defeat and more talented players across the field to defend against.

Nah, fuck that BS.

LOL....nobody is "incapable" of taking a cut. But, who else has?

Wilson? Nope. Has a Super Bowl and should have 2.

Ruthlessraper? Nope. Has 2 Super Bowls.

Rodgers? Nope. Has a Super Bowl.

Mahomes? Nope. Has a Super Bowl. Biggest QB contract in history.

You're using the ONE guy who has a wife who is worth $400M and makes approx. $50M/year......as an example of what a great guy he is by taking a few million dollar/year pay cut? You think that's just a coincidence?

In your words.....NAH....not hearing it.

Old cba put stafford initial salary and cap high through 2013
He played well so got a raise plus on potential. Only an idiot would take a pay cut on their first non rookie contracr. It was 17 per not even a huge second deal

His 3rd deal at 27 per he is on also a bargain given qb deals now. Stafford was great in 2016 and earned that prior to 2017. He did really well since then too but had some injuries

They were able to build 2014 winner with stafford on 2nd deal, calvin on largest wr deal by far and suh on last year of massive rookie deal

Last edited:
LOL....nobody is "incapable" of taking a cut. But, who else has?

Wilson? Nope. Has a Super Bowl and should have 2.

Ruthlessraper? Nope. Has 2 Super Bowls.

Rodgers? Nope. Has a Super Bowl.

Mahomes? Nope. Has a Super Bowl. Biggest QB contract in history.

You're using the ONE guy who has a wife who is worth $400M and makes approx. $50M/year......as an example of what a great guy he is by taking a few million dollar/year pay cut? You think that's just a coincidence?

In your words.....NAH....not hearing it.

The other side is the Lions GMs fucked up. They could gave traded him for better draft picks. Same with Suh. Trade the big money guys for multiple Round 1 picks and build a fucking TEAM. Could likely have 4 R1 picks for 2 years in those 2 trades, plus the Lions own picks, so 6 R1 picks in 2 years to develop, plus the R2 and R3 picks who SHOULD be serviceable.

Yes, I am aware of the Lions draft history. But this gives them 10 players on the Rookie Cap who should be talented enough to start or be a quality backup. That is a massive help in building out the team in FA. How many really good players could they have gotten for Stafford and Suh's salaries?

So, if you prefer to blame the GMs, fine. They were the idiots who put them in that financial hell...well, thanks to the NFL not implementing the Rookie Cap prior to the 2009 Draft.

Managing the Cap is not that bloody difficult if you are willing to keep in mind it is a cut throat business. Never get too attached to a player who is u willing to negotiate a TEAM oriented contract.

Never get too attached to a player who is u willing to negotiate a TEAM oriented contract.

Then nobody would have "star" players.

Your opinion is just because they make a lot of money they should all be willing to give up some for the "team"?

Honestly, that's just naive.

Look, I think most professional athletes make way too much money too......I do. But holding it against THEM because they're trying to get as much money as they can in a profession that can very literally RUIN their lives as they get older is stupid.

Brady has give up a few million in his career. Nobody argues that. However, can you tell me that he wasn't guaranteed that money by Kraft in some other way? Future job with the Patriots that is just going to happen to pay him the money he "gave up" during his playing days? I can imagine that kind of "deal" has likely been talked about and agreed upon. Just my opinion.

Either way. No player should get less than the market says they're "worth".

Nobody should take a limited amount on their second contract especially. Suh and Stafford got paid. Lions didnt draft well or had enough smart fa pick ups. Spending a bagillion in fa doesnt make you good and lions didnt draft enough players worth resigning either. Some years they did have ample cap space too. 2020 had some even with all that dead money. Wise not to go crazy on year 1 of a rebuild in fa. Acquire draft picks. Check. Draft well. Tbd. Smart fa signings in 2022 and 2023 tbd

Goff took a pay reduction lol...hows that working out? It comes down to talent....and we have none.

It comes down to coaching....we have less talented players playing hard....for now. Thats a good thing.

We have coaches making bonehead decisions in critical times of the game...thats not so good.

Then nobody would have "star" players.

Your opinion is just because they make a lot of money they should all be willing to give up some for the "team"?

Honestly, that's just naive.

Look, I think most professional athletes make way too much money too......I do. But holding it against THEM because they're trying to get as much money as they can in a profession that can very literally RUIN their lives as they get older is stupid.

Brady has give up a few million in his career. Nobody argues that. However, can you tell me that he wasn't guaranteed that money by Kraft in some other way? Future job with the Patriots that is just going to happen to pay him the money he "gave up" during his playing days? I can imagine that kind of "deal" has likely been talked about and agreed upon. Just my opinion.

Either way. No player should get less than the market says they're "worth".

No, you are misunderstanding my point.

A team only has so much money due to the Cap. Giving 50% of that money to 3 or 4 players is stupid.

The Rookie Cap allows teams to have superstar players on the cheap for 4 or 5 years. A smart GM would maximize that option and therefore be able to afford additional star, maybe even a superstar or 2, players with the large cap room they made available to themselves by maximizing the number of players under the Rookie Cap.

You just do not understand what I'm saying.

At this point it is best to just agree to disagree.

Back