Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Head football coach situation

hungry

Well, apparently, there is a done deal on the table for a 5 year extension for Harbaugh

Harbaugh hasn't signed it yet. I've read a lot about the situation and I think Harbaugh will wait a while. This weekend is the last weekend of the NFL and I feel that Harbaugh is going to explore the NFL vacancies and see if there is interest. If he can get a gig, I think he moves on.

There's talk of a DC hire, which you wouldn't do if the HC was about to leave.

I’m glad.

Under Harbaugh Michigan has done arguably as well anyone who isn’t Alamama, Clemson or Ohio State.

I guess LSU won that one season.

Maybe Georgia beat Alabama during that time.

Michigan is pretty much where it was with Lloyd starting in 2001 to the end.

I say Harbaugh has a better chance to get Michigan to the next level than any replacement.

I agree, and would be completely happy and fine with him staying as long as he wants.

It's really a smart move. They were talking about it on ESPN U (XM station) a little while ago. It sounds like he is taking a pretty big pay cut but there are incentives to get him back to where he is now. I guess the buyout is much lower as well...so if he sucks they can move on. Basically, they are saying that they want him but he hasn't been performing up to what they expect, and by him accepting the contract, he is saying he agrees.

This is much smarter than some other schools just firing their coach and paying them millions to go away without having a replacement that is better. I do think JH is a good coach. I think he just needs some better assistants and needs to find a QB. He hasn't had a decent QB since he set foot on campus.

Funny.

Harbaugh?s teams have been better against rival MSU than his two predecessors combined for.

MSU does NOT have a winning record against Harbaugh led Michigan teams, let alone anything that could be described as dominance.

So funny, but not that funny.

Funny.

Harbaugh?s teams have been better against rival MSU than his two predecessors combined for.

MSU does NOT have a winning record against Harbaugh led Michigan teams, let alone anything that could be described as dominance.

And when have Michigan fans ever cared for even the length of a Spartan Bob second on the game clock who was the coach at Michigan State? None whom I know of. Even when Dan Toniano was glowering on the sidelines.

Yet, I can probably name them all since Biggie Munn. Why, I have no idea. Let's see:

Duffy Dockerty, Denny Stoll, Muddy Rivers, Darryl Roger, George Perle, St. Nick, Bobby William, Morris Day, John L. Smithers (THE COACHES ARE SCREWING IT UP!) Mike D'Antoni, and Mel Gibson.

I also support the extension of Harbaugh. I have no idea whether or not M football can win championships under him. Just winning conference titles would be satisfying enough to me. By default that means beating our chief rivals, OSU and Indiana.

It's really a smart move. They were talking about it on ESPN U (XM station) a little while ago. It sounds like he is taking a pretty big pay cut but there are incentives to get him back to where he is now. I guess the buyout is much lower as well...so if he sucks they can move on. Basically, they are saying that they want him but he hasn't been performing up to what they expect, and by him accepting the contract, he is saying he agrees.

This is much smarter than some other schools just firing their coach and paying them millions to go away without having a replacement that is better. I do think JH is a good coach. I think he just needs some better assistants and needs to find a QB. He hasn't had a decent QB since he set foot on campus.

The first year kid, Rudock, was solid.

Speight had a good 1st year in 2016, but really regressed in 2017. I don't know who to pin that on. I think since then, the lack of continuity AND offensive style in the OC position has really hurt us.

Ultimately, that's on Harbaugh. I don't know how he could've screwed up staffing so bad. But stubborn HCs live and die by their assistants...

I assume 2021 will be Harbaugh's last year, unless we win at least 10 games & start strong. A bad start to the season, and the howls from the fanbase and what not might make it another miserable year. I also assume Warde Manuel is going to get all his ducks in a row to buyout Harbaugh next December and a replacement ready that month if we struggle again.

Funny.

That first statement is not exactly a high bar. It?s like saying Jim Schwartz was a good coach because he won more than Marinelli.

Also, I?ll gladly take facing Harbaugh every year as an MSU fan than someone else, record be damned (which at .500 clip vs Michigan is fine with me).

s-l300.jpg

I?m glad.

Under Harbaugh Michigan has done arguably as well anyone who isn?t Alamama, Clemson or Ohio State.

I guess LSU won that one season.

Maybe Georgia beat Alabama during that time.

Michigan is pretty much where it was with Lloyd starting in 2001 to the end.

I say Harbaugh has a better chance to get Michigan to the next level than any replacement.
He's done exactly what the last head coaches have done not win vs OSU. 3-3 vs State and no BIG titles. That's pretty much a fail.

Harbaugh should have Michigan in position as a solid 2nd in the conference behind Ohio State, They are far from it

I am hopeful that he can put Michigan there. I am doubtful that he will succeed in doing it. Nothing we have seen so far has shown us that he is capable of bringing Michigan there.

I will still root for him and Michigan to succeed and never root for Michigan to lose, like some did under other coaches...

He's done exactly what the last head coaches have done not win vs OSU. 3-3 vs State and no BIG titles. That's pretty much a fail.

???

Hoke and Rodriguez had one win against MSU in 7 seasons combined.

There are also other games besides OSU and MSU on the schedule, and Harbaugh has done much better in those than either Hoke or RR

???

Hoke and Rodriguez had one win against MSU in 7 seasons combined.

There are also other games besides OSU and MSU on the schedule, and Harbaugh has done much better in those than either Hoke or RR
The point is he's not getting a done. And this is Michigan football the top priorities are OSU and MSU, its biggest rivals. No BIG's, no playoffs. Its basically A&M right now.

Back