Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Head football coach situation

Hostage to what?

To not being able to beat Ohio State?

Maybe then Tressel?s available.

Maybe Urban Meyer.

Neither of them are Michigan men.

EDIT: I guess for some reason I?m remembering it as being 3 out of 5 seasons before this one Buckeye losses knocked M out of the NC championship chase, but looking back at the season records, maybe it was just two out of five.

Urban Meyer might be a good idea - he has a better record against OSU than Harbaugh does.

When we win 3-7 games next year it will be time to move on from Jim. How our AD can't see that Jim is not a good coach is beyond me.

So if I am reading this contract right the particulars of the contract basically are saying this is a 1 year deal. The buyout is not that large and goes down every Year after. He is making way less then he was, and can only make a lot of money if he gets to his Incentives. Which is win the big ten or national title. So Jimmy is betting on himself since no nfl teams wants him. We are waiting on a linebacker coach for the Ravens and this will be his first time at DC. Our OC is missing in action. Lot of holes need to be filled. Jim still can’t seem to find a QB. Call me a skeptic but I am not sure how many games we will win next year. Jim has lost is ability to motivate college kids in my opinion.

Last edited:
So if I am reading this contract right the particulars of the contract basically are saying this is a 1 year deal. The buyout is not that large and goes down every Year after. He is making way less then he was, and can only make a lot of money if he gets to his Incentives. Which is win the big ten or national title. So Jimmy is betting on himself since no nfl teams wants him. We are waiting on a linebacker coach for the Ravens and this will be his first time at DC. Our OC is missing in action. Lot of holes need to be filled. Jim still can’t seem to find a QB. Call me a skeptic but I am not sure how many games we will win next year. Jim has lost is ability to motivate college kids in my opinion.

I'm not seeing the actual contract online, which has to be public since it's a public university. I don't see it posted on MGoBlue. I assume MLive has, because they're reporitng details.
Together, Harbaugh is guaranteed $4 million in 2021, $4.1 million in 2022, $4.2 million in 2023, $4.3 million in 2024 and $4.4 million in 2025.

The new figures mark a steep cut in a pay from what Harbaugh was guaranteed under his previous seven-year contract, a lucrative arrangement signed in December 2014 that began at $5.5 million per year, included two built-in 10 percent pay raises and a $2 million-per-year life insurance policy he was eligible to draw from.

Harbaugh now goes from the highest-paid head coach in the Big Ten to eighth, according to a 2020 survey from USA Today of college football coaching salaries.

The incentives make up for this by a lot.

Not sure what happened to the $2MM life insurance policy. That's a tough one to swallow... "We're dropping your life insurance policy, because we no longer care if you die."

As far as I'm concerned this type of contract is more than fair, and should be the norm in college football. It's insane that with that amount of money, Harbaugh is only the 8th highest paid coach in the Big Ten.

As far as the buyout:
The buyout amount, in case Michigan chooses to terminate Harbaugh, starts at $4 million in 2021 and decreases by $1 million for each ensuing year.

If Harbaugh chooses to leave this year, he’ll owe Michigan $2 million — a figure that decreases by $500,000 during each ensuing year.
I don't know what "a lot of money" is to the UM athletic department. Would they buy him out for $3MM in 2022? $2MM in 2023?
I'm not as pessimistic as you, Bob. I don't know what will happen in 2021, but I've seen the sort of pressure and low expectations propel teams way higher than expected, while in contrast, teams expected to steamroll their opposition often struggle. (Unless they're paying their players and have a huge talent disparity.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The schedule is rough next year. Don't worry, though, because 2022 is our year!

This next year will be sold as another transition year and to just wait for 2022 when the schedule allegedly lightens up

I'm with you, Bob

I'm not seeing the actual contract online, which has to be public since it's a public university. I don't see it posted on MGoBlue. I assume MLive has, because they're reporitng details.
Together, Harbaugh is guaranteed $4 million in 2021, $4.1 million in 2022, $4.2 million in 2023, $4.3 million in 2024 and $4.4 million in 2025.

The new figures mark a steep cut in a pay from what Harbaugh was guaranteed under his previous seven-year contract, a lucrative arrangement signed in December 2014 that began at $5.5 million per year, included two built-in 10 percent pay raises and a $2 million-per-year life insurance policy he was eligible to draw from.

Harbaugh now goes from the highest-paid head coach in the Big Ten to eighth, according to a 2020 survey from USA Today of college football coaching salaries.

The incentives make up for this by a lot.

Not sure what happened to the $2MM life insurance policy. That's a tough one to swallow... "We're dropping your life insurance policy, because we no longer care if you die."

As far as I'm concerned this type of contract is more than fair, and should be the norm in college football. It's insane that with that amount of money, Harbaugh is only the 8th highest paid coach in the Big Ten.

As far as the buyout:
The buyout amount, in case Michigan chooses to terminate Harbaugh, starts at $4 million in 2021 and decreases by $1 million for each ensuing year.

If Harbaugh chooses to leave this year, he?ll owe Michigan $2 million ? a figure that decreases by $500,000 during each ensuing year.
I don't know what "a lot of money" is to the UM athletic department. Would they buy him out for $3MM in 2022? $2MM in 2023?
I'm not as pessimistic as you, Bob. I don't know what will happen in 2021, but I've seen the sort of pressure and low expectations propel teams way higher than expected, while in contrast, teams expected to steamroll their opposition often struggle. (Unless they're paying their players and have a huge talent disparity.)

Sorry but Jim has really under performed. Just don?t see the upside. Hope I?m wrong.

Sorry but Jim has really under performed. Just don’t see the upside. Hope I’m wrong.

Come on, Bob. He played football here 30+ years ago. He can be mediocre as long as he wants

Bring on some more nepotism, we'll bring back Hart to coach the running backs. It'll be like a family reunion every week on the sideline.

I mean, thinking about how special that is, who really cares if Michigan wins? At least, we'll be alive and watching football

Could be worse!

Last edited:
Harbaugh has definitely underperformed.

I look at it from the standpoint of January 2015: if you told me then that after 5 seasons (I am not counting this recent bullshit show of a season) we'd be 0-5 vs. OSU, no Big Ten championship game appearances and no championships whatsoever... I'd be really surprised.

Has he done poorly enough to be fired? No.

Is that only because he played football here? No.

What's the upside here? I mean... 2015 and 2016 were pretty good. Those were competitive teams.

If you're judging Harbaugh against the record of sleazy coaches like Saban, Meyer, Swinney, Jimbo Fisher, etc... why were you ever a Michigan fan in the first place?

Come on, Bob. He played football here 30+ years ago. He can be mediocre as long as he wants

Bring on some more nepotism, we'll bring back Hart to coach the running backs. It'll be like a family reunion every week on the sideline.

I mean, thinking about how special that is, who really cares if Michigan wins? At least, we'll be alive and watching football

Could be worse!

I think Hart will decide to stay at Indiana sadly. He can see a sinking ship. Didn?t he get high marks in recruiting ? I hope a make comes to Michigan.

Harbaugh has definitely underperformed.

I look at it from the standpoint of January 2015: if you told me then that after 5 seasons (I am not counting this recent bullshit show of a season) we'd be 0-5 vs. OSU, no Big Ten championship game appearances and no championships whatsoever... I'd be really surprised.

Has he done poorly enough to be fired? No.

Is that only because he played football here? No.

What's the upside here? I mean... 2015 and 2016 were pretty good. Those were competitive teams.

If you're judging Harbaugh against the record of sleazy coaches like Saban, Meyer, Swinney, Jimbo Fisher, etc... why were you ever a Michigan fan in the first place?

How about judging him against the PSU coach, the UW coach, the Iowa coach, even the MSU coach. Even Purdue has beaten Ohio State.

are they all dirty?

He has performed worse than all of the above

Harbaugh has been the coach at Michigan for 6 seasons. 6!

Not 2

You don't get to just act like only the 2 best seasons are the only ones that count, because it makes you feel better. All 6 count.

Back