Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Head football coach situation

???

Hoke and Rodriguez had one win against MSU in 7 seasons combined.

There are also other games besides OSU and MSU on the schedule, and Harbaugh has done much better in those than either Hoke or RR

How's he doing against Wisconsin? Phenomenal last 2 games.

How about Iowa? Averaging about 11 PPG.

PSU?

???

Hoke and Rodriguez had one win against MSU in 7 seasons combined.

There are also other games besides OSU and MSU on the schedule, and Harbaugh has done much better in those than either Hoke or RR

RichRod's record was on an upward trajectory

Harbaugh's is not

I hope things change ,but why should we be optimistic at this point?

IF his name was Mike SMith, he would've been fired.

Hopefully, the offense can line up and call a play next season and the team doesn't rack up 100+ yards of penalties every single game.

The point is he's not getting a done. And this is Michigan football the top priorities are OSU and MSU, its biggest rivals. No BIG's, no playoffs. Its basically A&M right now.

His teams do great against crappy teams not named MSU, though

Horrible record vs ranked teams, really horrible against top 10, and really horrible in the postseason

The QB position has been a mess 5 of 6 seasons...

should be embarrassing for a former Wolverine QB

bUt He'S a MiChIgAn MaN!

This philosophy has been holding the football team hostage going on 10 years now

I am just not excited about Jim at Staying. He better start winning. 5 years is to long. Nothing the way he has coached in recent years gives me much hope that a big ten title is even close at hand.

bUt He'S a MiChIgAn MaN!

This philosophy has been holding the football team hostage going on 10 years now

Hostage to what?

To not being able to beat Ohio State?

Maybe then Tressel?s available.

Maybe Urban Meyer.

Neither of them are Michigan men.

EDIT: I guess for some reason I?m remembering it as being 3 out of 5 seasons before this one Buckeye losses knocked M out of the NC championship chase, but looking back at the season records, maybe it was just two out of five.

Last edited:
RichRod's record was on an upward trajectory

Harbaugh's is not

I hope things change ,but why should we be optimistic at this point?

IF his name was Mike SMith, he would've been fired.

Hopefully, the offense can line up and call a play next season and the team doesn't rack up 100+ yards of penalties every single game.

LOL "upward trajectory" ... it took him 3 years to get to 7-5, and his team was still giving up 60+ points a game and shaky as hell.

Brady Hoke took the same guys and went 11-2...

Hostage to what?

Maybe then Tressel’s available.

Maybe Urban Meyer.

EDIT: I guess for some reason I’m remembering it as being 3 out of 5 seasons before this one Buckeye losses knocked M out of the NC championship chase, but looking back at the season records, maybe it was just two out of five.

It's not just OSU. 8-7 in the conference the past two years and it would be 8-8 if we played OSU this year.

*7-9 if we didn't luck out with Rutgers shanking a short FG this year. Rutgers.

Last edited:
LOL "upward trajectory" ... it took him 3 years to get to 7-5, and his team was still giving up 60+ points a game and shaky as hell.

Brady Hoke took the same guys and went 11-2...

We don't know. Rich Rod might've went 11-2 or better that year. We all know it was a fluke that Hoke did that.

But he was a Michigan man!

Hostage to what?

Maybe then Tressel?s available.

Maybe Urban Meyer.

EDIT: I guess for some reason I?m remembering it as being 3 out of 5 seasons before this one Buckeye losses knocked M out of the NC championship chase, but looking back at the season records, maybe it was just two out of five.

We're held hostage, because the U of M administration and a certain part of the fan base seems to think that only a person that played for or was already a coach at Michigan is a candidate for the head coaching gig at Michigan. It extremely limits the choices. They could very well get a better coach if they went away from that mentality.

It's not just OSU. 8-7 in the conference the past two years and it would be 8-8 if we played OSU this year.

*7-9 if we didn't luck out with Rutgers shanking a short FG this year. Rutgers.

But but but wahhhhh this year doesn't count, because covid

Of course, every other fan base in America knows this year counts

The last 3 seasons have been dismal after a promising first 3.

I hope I'm wrong and things go better, but no one can provide a single reason for optimism.

We need to go outside the Michigan man mantra and find the new Fielding Yost. If I am not mistaken he became a Michigan man and he was from West Virginia. Please go find that guy!

We need to go outside the Michigan man mantra and find the new Fielding Yost. If I am not mistaken he became a Michigan man and he was from West Virginia. Please go find that guy!
What could go wrong?!

The last non-MEE-che-gan man hired to coach the team also came from West Virginia. And we'll never know if he's "that guy" until he becomes "that guy."

The last non-MEE-che-gan man hired to coach the team also came from West Virginia. And we'll never know if he's "that guy" until he becomes "that guy."

Hiring someone from West Virginia, man, talk about high risk/high reward proposition... they will either be a legendary hero that revolutionizes the sport, or THE WORST COACH IN SCHOOL HISTORY.

Because every non-Michigan man hire would automatically become Rich Rodriguez. If it happened once, it will happen every time. Remember how horrible Beilein was because of Ellerbe and Amaker not working out?

Remember Lloyd Carr's drinking problem because he was on Moeller's staff?

I guess there's truly no point in discussing a new coach. We're stuck with Harbaugh, so fuck it. Spend your money on basketball.

Last edited:
Funny.

Harbaugh?s teams have been better against rival MSU than his two predecessors combined for.

MSU does NOT have a winning record against Harbaugh led Michigan teams, let alone anything that could be described as dominance.

So funny, but not that funny.

Like those other coaches, harbaugh hasn?t beaten an MSU team with a winning record in conference - thats more a factor of how far our program has slid since the mid teens than anything Harbaugh has done. So while I?m happy to have Harbaugh stay, or at least indifferent, like a lot of uofm fans, I?m not happy with the state of our football program.

Like those other coaches, harbaugh hasn?t beaten an MSU team with a winning record in conference - thats more a factor of how far our program has slid since the mid teens than anything Harbaugh has done. So while I?m happy to have Harbaugh stay, or at least indifferent, like a lot of uofm fans, I?m not happy with the state of our football program.

your program only had those winning records because UM, PennSt, and for a year, OSU, fell off the map due to bad coaching hires or scandals.

your program only had those winning records because UM, PennSt, and for a year, OSU, fell off the map due to bad coaching hires or scandals.

LOL. True, uofm is the same nonfactor they have been for a decade plus, but those MSU teams beat two top 5 OSU teams, some really good Wisonsin teams, beat PSU teams that were just as good as they have been - psu has always been overrated, won a Rose Bowl and a few other bowl games beating top 10 teams. Also, the idea that any B1G team is only successful because uofm sucked for 15 years is the height of butthurt arrogance.

Last edited:
Back