Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hutch Heisman Finalist

I found it interesting that Herbstreit was fully supporting Hutch, a non-QB UM guy getting the full support of a former O$U QB.

If THAT does not show Hutch deserves it, I don't know what would.

Herby was adamant that the Heisman should go to the Most Outstanding Player, and how Hutch is so dynamic as a Leader while also dominant during plays was part of his argument.

So rare for a defensive player to win

And people saying if hutch a finalist so should Anderson

QBs are flashier and more opportunity

I wish they?d recognize the role of defenses and

Would shock the world if he wins. Hutch dang near shut Stroud down single handed with 3 sacks and 15 pressures. Hope to see what he does to Young in about a month.

LOL, Hutchinson was Top 4 & Walker wasn't even named a finalist...? MSU fans must be beside themselves

Woodson needs company. I think it's really dumb to have only one defensive player to ever win a Heisman.

LOL, Hutchinson was Top 4 & Walker wasn't even named a finalist...? MSU fans must be beside themselves

I think they understand his injury ended his chance. He is still recognized as a great RB this year, the best if 2021 IMO.

Hutchinson isn't going to win it - it's going to go to a QB, probably Young. This is a pretty good article about how flawed Heisman voting is. It focuses on Walker because it's written by an MSU beat writer but the same arguments apply to Hutchinson and Anderson or any other non QB. I don't think Stroud is even the best player on offense at OSU - he has 3 NFL receivers to throw to, how hard is that?

If Walker didn't get hurt, he might be a finalist but I don't think it matters because it would still go to one of the three QBs in all likelihood.

Last edited:
Hutchinson isn't going to win it - it's going to go to a QB, probably Young. ....

That's the same exact point wolverines24 made in the first post of the thread, and no one else who posted after that said he had a chance to win it.

Total random anecdote: A kid in my HS home room had an uncle who won the Heisman. When I asked the nephew where the trophy was.

?It was a doorstop for my bedroom door,? was his reply. ?I don?t know where it is now.?

Just Wondering why you posted something so redundant

Total random anecdote: A kid in my HS home room had an uncle who won the Heisman. When I asked the nephew where the trophy was.

?It was a doorstop for my bedroom door,? was his reply. ?I don?t know where it is now.?

Another random anecdote: in HS freshman football, I regularly had to line up against the grandson of a Heisman winner, and "block" him. once and a while I slowed him down enough on a run to the outside that we 2nd stringers would move the ball. our coach would yell at him for losing containment on the end (I felt like he wanted to add: To this kid who weighs maybe 150 soaking wet, and couldn't block my grandmother)

Neither of us played sports post high school. He went to MSU, and (I gather) developed a drinking problem. Good guy though. He straightened himself out and is gainfully employed today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Another random anecdote: in HS freshman football, I regularly had to line up against the grandson of a Heisman winner, and "block" him. once and a while I slowed him down enough on an run to the outside that we 2nd stringers would move the ball. our coach would yell at him for losing containment on the end (I felt like he wanted to add: To this kid weighs maybe 150 soaking wet, and couldn't block my grandmother)

Neither of us played sports post high school. He went to MSU, and (I gather) developed a drinking problem. Good guy though. He straightened himself out and is gainfully employed today.

I think I know who the HT winner was.

I think I know who the HT winner was.

the athletic ability in that family seemed to be used up more with each generation!

I may be wrong about the drinking problem comment. I am only surmising... I had breakfast with him once years after HS, and after I ordered a bloody mary, he mentioned he had been sober for several years.

I thougth the article was interesting. IF you want to overreact, get your knickers in a twist and complain/argue about it, have at it.

Last edited:
Woodson needs company. I think it's really dumb to have only one defensive player to ever win a Heisman.

Others that could have won the HT since I?ve been following CFB:

Dick Butkus (a year before I was hooked, but its obvious)
Lee Roy Selmon
Hugh Green
Steve Entman
Rich Glover
Randy White
Lawrence Taylor ?

? I could go on ?

Randy Gradishar (STILL the best LB to ever play at OSU)
Deion Sanders
Bubba Smith
Reggie White

All this great talent, and Charles Woodson (partially because of his contributions on offense and special teams) is the only defensive player to win the Heisman ?

the athletic ability in that family seemed to be used up more with each generation!

I may be wrong about the drinking problem comment. I am only surmising... I had breakfast with him once years after HS, and after I ordered a bloody mary, he mentioned he had been sober for several years.

Do you think I?m right in my guess? I can?t think of another HT winner relative that went to BR.

All this great talent, and Charles Woodson (partially because of his contributions on offense and special teams) is the only defensive player to win the Heisman ?

well, I mean, the Heisman Trophy is of a ball carrier, not a tackler, so that probably feeds into the perception that it's more for offensive players. Football players might get confused if they get a trophy for a position that looks different than they one they play.

Do you think I?m right in my guess? I can?t think of another HT winner relative that went to BR.

I assume so. My former classmate's dad also played for the same school, back in the 70's I think, but wasn't a star.

I also can't think of any others that might fit the description

Last edited by a moderator:
Others that could have won the HT since I?ve been following CFB:

Dick Butkus (a year before I was hooked, but its obvious)
Lee Roy Selmon
Hugh Green
Steve Entman
Rich Glover
Randy White
Lawrence Taylor ?

? I could go on ?

Randy Gradishar (STILL the best LB to ever play at OSU)
Deion Sanders
Bubba Smith
Reggie White

I'll give you 2 more Brian Bosworth and Ndamukong Suh. Emtman, Suh, Bosworth, and Woodson are the 4 guys in my lifetime who took over games and not just one or 2 games. Through a whole season they absolutely changed games entirely and there was nothing anyone could do about it except play away from them and a lot of times that didn't even work.

Back