Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hutch Heisman Finalist

Considering he likely had 0.00% chance of getting even a single 3rd place vote before the year started, he did very well for himself.

Anyone notice all the shit talking? I think tebow mentioned that its a good thing pickett is between CJ stroud and Aidan because of the rivalry thing and how we just beat them a couple weeks ago. Then he said under his breath that he's safe from Aidan because it's not one of his OL between them.

Picketts coach said he looks good next to Aidan and doesn't think he could sack him.

There were others too I'm not remembering. Not sure I've ever seen that at the Heisman presentation

Anyone notice all the shit talking? I think tebow mentioned that its a good thing pickett is between CJ stroud and Aidan because of the rivalry thing and how we just beat them a couple weeks ago. Then he said under his breath that he's safe from Aidan because it's not one of his OL between them.

Picketts coach said he looks good next to Aidan and doesn't think he could sack him.

There were others too I'm not remembering. Not sure I've ever seen that at the Heisman presentation

Think Pickett is excited he gets to face MSU's secondary in their Bowl Game? This is all lining up well for him to snag a huge signing bonus

"We need a QB and he just finished 3rd in the Heisman ballot and threw for 600 yards against a 10 win Big Ten team! This kid's no slouch!"
- GMs for the Jets, Giants, Bears, Jags, Lions (probably), etc. etc.

Think Pickett is excited he gets to face MSU's secondary in their Bowl Game? This is all lining up well for him to snag a huge signing bonus

"We need a QB and he just finished 3rd in the Heisman ballot and threw for 600 yards against a 10 win Big Ten team! This kid's no slouch!"
- GMs for the Jets, Giants, Bears, Jags, Lions (probably), etc. etc.

I don't want the Lions going anywhere near a QB in this draft. Build the team first. Then get your man next year.

right cause Lions football history is filled with sensible draft picks and trades, LOL.

Looking at the projected draft order, Hutch is unfortunately heading to a dumpster fire franchise. Either the Lions, Jags, or Jets. Three of the worst franchises ever.

Looking at the projected draft order, Hutch is unfortunately heading to a dumpster fire franchise. Either the Lions, Jags, or Jets. Three of the worst franchises ever.

Hopefully he avoids Jacksonville.

it is fun to watch things somehow get even worse for Urban, even when he himself avoids any scandal

Hopefully he avoids Jacksonville.

it is fun to watch things somehow get even worse for Urban, even when he himself avoids any scandal

I think he'll end up on the Lions where they can force another great player to retire early.

I'm glad Urban is completely falling on his face in the NFL. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Last edited:
If I am Hutch, I would MUCH rather play for DC than Urban. Pretty much EVERYONE wants Urban gone...the Jags are not going to attract any FAs either unless the fire Urban and bring in a Player's Coach...which is what the Lions have in DC.

I absolutely believe FAs would choose the Lions and DC over the Jags and Urban.

Kind of tasteless IMO. Put the shit-talking aside for a night and let the kid enjoy his moment.

At other points, Chris Fowler also talked about this year?s ?The Game.? I think he made the point that it was the first time both a Buckeye and a Wolverine were finalists.

It?s a pretty big deal.

If UM loses to O$U, I do not think Hutch is there even with his 3 sacks and 15 pressure game. CJ deserved to be there IMO, just saying that a UM loss and CJ is at least the #2 vote recipient with a very legit shot at being #1 putting up the exact same numbers against UM.

That is just the optics of how a team victory or defeat impacts the Heisman race, right or wrong. While Horning won while a member of a ND team with a losing record, that is as much an anomaly as CW winning as a primarily defensive player, as it only happened that one time and I would venture to guess we will see another primarily defensive player win again before we see another player from a losing team win.

If UM loses to O$U, I do not think Hutch is there even with his 3 sacks and 15 pressure game. CJ deserved to be there IMO, just saying that a UM loss and CJ is at least the #2 vote recipient with a very legit shot at being #1 putting up the exact same numbers against UM.

That is just the optics of how a team victory or defeat impacts the Heisman race, right or wrong. While Horning won while a member of a ND team with a losing record, that is as much an anomaly as CW winning as a primarily defensive player, as it only happened that one time and I would venture to guess we will see another primarily defensive player win again before we see another player from a losing team win.

Right or wrong, that's correct. It's supposed to be the most outstanding player in CFB. The different between Hutch/Young and Stroud is that without them their respective teams wouldn't be where they are. I'm sure this won't be Stroud's last trip. He was a first year starter as a RS freshman and led the best offense in the country by a mile. And that was in spite of the aforementioned offensive line.

Right or wrong, that's correct. It's supposed to be the most outstanding player in CFB. The different between Hutch/Young and Stroud is that without them their respective teams wouldn't be where they are. I'm sure this won't be Stroud's last trip. He was a first year starter as a RS freshman and led the best offense in the country by a mile. And that was in spite of the aforementioned offensive line.

I've seen some OSU fans criticize Stroud as having the advantage of throwing to three future NFL receivers this year. I think that's a fair point, but like you said, he's only a RS freshman.

There are obviously some Heisman biases in favor of playing on a winning team, and also playing better later in the season. And it's maybe easier to put up gaudy stats it you're playing in a position with talented teammates or in an easy schedule.

It's kind of a dumb award, in that regard. At least most years.

Maybe only award them when you have a guy like Barry Sanders, who averaged 7.6 ypc, and ran for 200-300 yards a game regardless of who oklahoma state was playing that week... and it's a no-brainer.

if you have to think about who wins the Heisman, or it's arguable, maybe they shouldn't award one? I wouldn't have given one this year. I don't think anyone this year was head-and-shoulders above the competition.

He was without a doubt, in my mind, the best player in college football. QB's and RB's have way more opportunities to get the stats. He will be the 1st pick in the draft if the Lions don't act like they're the smartest people in the NFL. He is the best player coming out.

Back