Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions 2021 starter will be...

Who will be the 2021 starter

• Zach Wilson

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Justin Fields

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Trey Lance

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Mac Jones

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fitzmagic

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Deshaun Watson

• Jalen Hurts

• Trubisky

• Other

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't care who the new QB is. Nobody here can tell how they will translate to the pros because you are just random fans. Whoever they pick has a high bar to jump over as Stafford was a really good player and they better be damn good, especially by year 2.

Using pick 7 on QB and getting a lesser first round defensive player doesn't make the team better. Will need to hit on the FAs too and rest of draft but they need to do that with or without Stafford regardless

The GM and HC didn't make the decision. The people who are letting him go know he is a really great QB. As does the GM and HC. But Stafford is making them trade him and they feel for the guy giving the teams around him. It doesn't make sense to have a disgruntled QB in a rebuild. Its a new start so logical time to move him

IN NO WAY DOES THIS TRADE THAT STAFFORD INIATED MEAN ANYONE IN THE LIONS ORGANIZATION THINKS HE IS AN AVERAGE OR BAD PLAYER

they don't give a shit about his feelings, and if they do, they aren't doing their jobs. Their only job is to do what's best for the organization, which is exactly what they are doing. Management knows that having Matt on the team isn't going to take them to where they want to go, which is a fresh start (not a re-build because that would imply that they had something built in the first place)

Don't care who the new QB is. Nobody here can tell how they will translate to the pros because you are just random fans. Whoever they pick has a high bar to jump over as Stafford was a really good player and they better be damn good, especially by year 2.

Using pick 7 on QB and getting a lesser first round defensive player doesn't make the team better. Will need to hit on the FAs too and rest of draft but they need to do that with or without Stafford regardless

I would agree that whoever we get at 7 and if we get a 1st this year for Stafford, we still won't be better then we were with Stafford. I know its not happening, but even Trevor Lawrence in round 1 is probably not gonna be a better QB then Stafford this year. The main takeaway is finding a young guy that is not only cheaper, but has the chance to be "the guy" for the next 10+ years. Someone you can build around long term. Stafford clearly wasn't that at this point in his career. I'm glad this move is being made, for both the Lions and Stafford. Wherever he goes, I'll be rooting for him, unless we get future picks then I hope he does well, but the team doesn't.

I would agree that whoever we get at 7 and if we get a 1st this year for Stafford, we still won't be better then we were with Stafford. I know its not happening, but even Trevor Lawrence in round 1 is probably not gonna be a better QB then Stafford this year. The main takeaway is finding a young guy that is not only cheaper, but has the chance to be "the guy" for the next 10+ years. Someone you can build around long term. Stafford clearly wasn't that at this point in his career. I'm glad this move is being made, for both the Lions and Stafford. Wherever he goes, I'll be rooting for him, unless we get future picks then I hope he does well, but the team doesn't.

Does it even need to happen this year? Imo we need to build a team that can at least compete before we even consider an early round qb, otherwise we're in the same boat we've been in the last 12 years

It not about Matts talent. Its about Matt wanting to leave plus it gives them more capital and cap space for a rebuild. It is what is. They know they can win a Super Bowl with Stafford

Long term though, Stafford won't be around past five years too

Will see if we get a QB as good as Stafford. Not likely but possible. And they better actually build a worthy team around the QB this time or that QB will fail in terms of wins and losses and maybe QB rating too

41 TDs in year 3. There is a nice bar for Wilson

They know they can win a Super Bowl with Stafford

This may go down as one of the most idiotic statements that you have ever made...and that's saying a lot, since you stay stupid things about Matt every single day. :lmao:

Does it even need to happen this year? Imo we need to build a team that can at least compete before we even consider an early round qb, otherwise we're in the same boat we've been in the last 12 years

It just depends. You don't go grab a QB just to have one. If after all their evaluations they don't deem a QB worthy of drafting at #7, or trading up to get, then you don't get one, or take one later you like. If they deem one of Fields, Lance or Wilson is their guy and they don't think they will last until 7 you go get your guy. If they like all three and don't have a major preference then you stand pat and wait for one to fall. What you cannot do is say lets wait until next year we are not ready. We could catch lightning in a bottle and win 8-9 games next year and pick outside the top 15. Is that likely? no, but you can't count on having a high pick next year. Hell maybe there isn't a QB you deem a franchise guy next year even if we pick high.

My preference is finding one this year that way he has some time to develop along with the rest of what should be a young roster.

The more I read about Trey Lance, the more I am leaning his way. Sure the guy is raw, but he has everything you look for in a QB. He doesn't seem to be a prima donna and will bust his ass to be the best QB he can be. Its early yet, but as of today he is my pick. Sign a QB like Fitzpatrick or Winston to compete and let the best man play in 2021.

i see him as a potential Josh Allen v2.0. Raw and athletic with a ton of upside. Josh Allen was awful his first year. year 3 he's in the afc champ game and has quadrupled his TD pass totals.

i see him as a potential Josh Allen v2.0. Raw and athletic with a ton of upside. Josh Allen was awful his first year. year 3 he's in the afc champ game and has quadrupled his TD pass totals.

From the limited video I've watched and from what I've read, that doesn't seem far off. I'd say he might even be a step up from Allen when they both came out in draft. I've read a lot of good things about his accuracy as a passer, and when Allen came out that was one of his major concerns coming out if I remember correctly. The two biggest knocks on Lance are his limited starting experience and the school he played for. The small school part doesn't scare me because the things he can do throwing and running translates regardless of what school you were apart of. Its the small sample size that is more concerning, IMO.

From the limited video I've watched and from what I've read, that doesn't seem far off. I'd say he might even be a step up from Allen when they both came out in draft. I've read a lot of good things about his accuracy as a passer, and when Allen came out that was one of his major concerns coming out if I remember correctly. The two biggest knocks on Lance are his limited starting experience and the school he played for. The small school part doesn't scare me because the things he can do throwing and running translates regardless of what school you were apart of. Its the small sample size that is more concerning, IMO.

ya im just a youtube scout.... but i dont care what team youre playing against....some of those throws down field are amazing.

Lance or Wilson with a vet also added

Cant ruin the guy rookie year

But yeah opportunity cost lost taking a QB at 7 compared to a stud defensive player

Pick 9 for Stafford to Denver would be nice. Plus more

I doubt Denver would do any more than #9. I certainly wouldn't if I were them.

Stafford is a great player. Should be two 1sts

1st and Drew Lock and then we don't draft QB and try to fix Lock. Might as well in a rebuild

Stafford is a great player. Should be two 1sts

1st and Drew Lock and then we don't draft QB and try to fix Lock. Might as well in a rebuild

It all depends where the first round pick is located. This is how I think it would go.

Denver #9 is likely stand alone. If another pick is involved, it will be later.
49ers #12 & 2021 3rd or 2022 2nd
NE #15 & 2022 2nd
Vegas #17 & 2022 1st plus late pick or pick swap
Wash #19 & 2022 1st plus late pick or pick swap
Indy #21 & 2022 1st
Jets #23 & 2022 1st

If I were the Lions and had all of these choices, I think I would take #9 (if Denver offered) or Jets #23 and 2022 1st. The idea here is that the Jets will likely be bad again next year and it should be in the top 10.

It all depends where the first round pick is located. This is how I think it would go.

Denver #9 is likely stand alone. If another pick is involved, it will be later.
49ers #12 & 2021 3rd or 2022 2nd
NE #15 & 2022 2nd
Vegas #17 & 2022 1st plus late pick or pick swap
Wash #19 & 2022 1st plus late pick or pick swap
Indy #21 & 2022 1st
Jets #23 & 2022 1st

If I were the Lions and had all of these choices, I think I would take #9 (if Denver offered) or Jets #23 and 2022 1st. The idea here is that the Jets will likely be bad again next year and it should be in the top 10.

Yep for sure depends where the pick is. Also if someone panics and there is a bidding war.

I think you guys are over valueing a guy with only 2 years left on his contract that is not rated very high on anyones metrics...mainly the win column.

1st and 3rd would be the starting point imo for a majority of teams. If youre talking denver i think the conversation is pick 9 only.

I think you guys are over valueing a guy with only 2 years left on his contract that is not rated very high on anyones metrics...mainly the win column.

1st and 3rd would be the starting point imo for a majority of teams. If youre talking denver i think the conversation is pick 9 only.

Willing to make a new deal and can play five seasons at least 38/39. Maybe 6 or 7

He is rated way higher than you think. Arians calling him a top 5 guy. Coaches and GMs love Stafford. We'll see what the deal ends up being. Two 1sts is a possibility.

The cheapness of Stafford for 2 years with ability to make cap hit even lower is a real good thing for teams.

Also he can pick up offenses pretty quickly. Linehan, Lombardi/Caldwell, Cooter and Bevell. He is a smart guy, has all the tools with no throwing limitations.

Someone is going to be very happy to get him

I don't think GMs of other teams use a QB's W/L record as a metric. As much as a lot of Lions fans think that Matt sucks, it just isn't true. He's not elite. I don't think he can carry an average or below average team to success. But, he is better than at least 15 other starters in the league. Some GMs may think that he's borderline top 10. A team like Indy or SF will think that they can win a SB if they had a top 10 QB. That's all that matters...that somebody else thinks they can win with him. :cheers:

Willing to make a new deal and can play five seasons at least 38/39. Maybe 6 or 7

He is rated way higher than you think. Arians calling him a top 5 guy. Coaches and GMs love Stafford. We'll see what the deal ends up being. Two 1sts is a possibility.

The cheapness of Stafford for 2 years with ability to make cap hit even lower is a real good thing for teams.

Also he can pick up offenses pretty quickly. Linehan, Lombardi/Caldwell, Cooter and Bevell. He is a smart guy, has all the tools with no throwing limitations.

Someone is going to be very happy to get him

His cap hit is part of what makes him attractive to some teams. SF could dump Jimmy G, re-structure Matt and it will give them extra cap space to sign some of their own FA. Matt is a slight upgrade over Jimmy G when healthy but JG can never stay healthy. If I'm the Lions that is the first call I make. #12 and one of the 3rd round picks comp picks they got.

The Lions could have some decent combos at 7 & 12

Some interesting combos

Parsons & Surtain
Rousseau & Surtain
Parsons & Ja'Marr Chase
Lance & Chase

His cap hit is part of what makes him attractive to some teams. SF could dump Jimmy G, re-structure Matt and it will give them extra cap space to sign some of their own FA. Matt is a slight upgrade over Jimmy G when healthy but JG can never stay healthy. If I'm the Lions that is the first call I make. #12 and one of the 3rd round picks comp picks they got.

The Lions could have some decent combos at 7 & 12

Some interesting combos

Parsons & Surtain
Rousseau & Surtain
Parsons & Ja'Marr Chase
Lance & Chase

Im all in for playmakers. Parsons and Chase would be amazing. Lets assume Mac Jones goes in the middle of rd 1. Are you starting a guy like Fitzpatrick or are you drafting a guy like Trask in rd 2?

Back