Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions 2021 starter will be...

Who will be the 2021 starter

• Zach Wilson

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Justin Fields

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Trey Lance

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Mac Jones

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fitzmagic

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Deshaun Watson

• Jalen Hurts

• Trubisky

• Other

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im all in for playmakers. Parsons and Chase would be amazing. Lets assume Mac Jones goes in the middle of rd 1. Are you starting a guy like Fitzpatrick or are you drafting a guy like Trask in rd 2?

Parsons and Chase are exactly what the Lions need. I think both are studs. I think people forget how great Chase was because he didn't play this year. He was the #1 overall WR in 2019 with 1780 yards and 20 TDs.

I'm starting/signing a guy like Fitz no matter who I draft. I don't like Trask much, so I wouldn't touch him with the Lions 2nd round pick. There will be a good LB, DT, or CB there...probably not an "impact" pass rusher though. I would target Trask in the 3rd. I'm sure he wouldn't be there, but you never know.

Of course, I don't know much about a lot of these college players outside of what I read.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports teams are "already reaching out" to initiate Matthew Stafford trade talks.
A trade can't technically be completed until the start of the new league year in March, but it's not uncommon for big-ticket deals to be agreed upon well in advance of free agency. With Deshaun Watson and a host of other starters potentially on the move, it is going to be an unusually explosive quarterback market this winter. So far, the only team has Stafford has been indirectly connected to is the 49ers, who are said to be "monitoring" the situation. 12 days shy of his 33rd birthday, Stafford will have a robust market.

Another name not on this list that i think is scary....fucking Goff. Rams being non commital and Holmes love him. People smarter than me can probably figure out a way to trade him but in 2021 hes owed:
$25 mil base salary, $34 mil cap hit, $65 mil dead cap hit.

2022:
10 mil salary
32 mil cap hit
20 mil dead cap

2023 is his potential out where his salary raises back up to 20 mil with only an 8 mil cap hit.

Im not a big Goff fan...at all.

Another name not on this list that i think is scary....fucking Goff. Rams being non commital and Holmes love him. People smarter than me can probably figure out a way to trade him but in 2021 hes owed:

2022:
10 mil salary
32 mil cap hit
20 mil dead cap

2023 is his potential out where his salary raises back up to 20 mil with only an 8 mil cap hit.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ffs-contract-makes-it-very-hard-to-trade-him/

Goff is costly for new team. 22 cap hit for rams

My guy Mac Jones killing it at the Senior Bowl. I'd obviously take TL over him and probably Wilson, but after that give me Mac please.

Edit: And honestly I would take Wentz or Hurts to be our QB if either could be had for the right price...

Last edited:
My guy Mac Jones killing it at the Senior Bowl. I'd obviously take TL over him and probably Wilson, but after that give me Mac please.

Edit: And honestly I would take Wentz or Hurts to be our QB if either could be had for the right price...

Great post.....i agree with it all. Don't want Fields or Lance. Nothing against a black QB, but those guys, IMO, don't read defenses well enough to succeed in the NFL.

I like Hurts more than Wentz....if he were available.... offer Stafford for Hurts and a 1st.

2022:
10 mil salary
32 mil cap hit
20 mil dead cap

If anyone with ANY football IQ thinks Goff is better than average....they aren't good talent evaluators. I would take Goff as a backup as long as it came with a backup price tag. He's better than Daniels.....but that's not saying much.

Stafford to rams rumors starting to surface... that would 100% have to mean goff would be our qb if it happens. There's no way they'd have goff and staffords cap hits on their books.

Ps the rams have no 1st rd picks. Holmes should honestly be fired if this trade happens.

Last edited:
Stafford to rams rumors starting to surface... that would 100% have to mean goff would be our qb if it happens. There's no way they'd have goff and staffords cap hits on their books.

Ps the rams have no 1st rd picks. Holmes should honestly be fired if this trade happens.

Rumor's don't mean jack right now. But boy do I hope that doesn't happen.

Agree, in fact if that happens I?d even view it as GM helping and doing favors for his old team putting old team over new team. Just wouldn?t be good optics at all IMO

Agree, in fact if that happens I’d even view it as GM helping and doing favors for his old team putting old team over new team. Just wouldn’t be good optics at all IMO

He loves goff. Shows how much he sucks at evaluating talent. Thank god we hired Dorsey to talk some sense into him.

Last edited:

Maybe Rams GM is trying to do Holmes a favor and up the market for Stafford.

This is the deepest QB draft in years, and the Lions are going to (likely) have another 1st round pick they did not anticipate. Get the QB of the future with the first selection and you can use the majority of your other picks on defense.

Next year's draft class sucks compared to this one. I don't think Sam Howell is a third as talented as Justin Fields, and he's the projected #1 pick next year. I've watched a bit of Howell play, and it is hard to pinpoint, but I have not been impressed watching him.

If you kick the can down the road, and the Lions end up tricking around and winning a few games they shouldn't next season, they'll end up not getting a shot at one of the better QBs next year- after Howell and Slovis, the talent falls off a cliff. And then, your new GM and coach are not starting their true QB development until their third year, which is not going to work. At that point, you have to assume that it'll take whoever their new guy is a few years to get going. Campbell is not going to have that much time.

Get the new guy in here because of how deep this draft is, and you can get all the other defensive pieces with your other 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

This is the deepest QB draft in years, and the Lions are going to (likely) have another 1st round pick they did not anticipate. Get the QB of the future with the first selection and you can use the majority of your other picks on defense.

Next year's draft class sucks compared to this one. I don't think Sam Howell is a third as talented as Justin Fields, and he's the projected #1 pick next year. I've watched a bit of Howell play, and it is hard to pinpoint, but I have not been impressed watching him.

If you kick the can down the road, and the Lions end up tricking around and winning a few games they shouldn't next season, they'll end up not getting a shot at one of the better QBs next year- after Howell and Slovis, the talent falls off a cliff. And then, your new GM and coach are not starting their true QB development until their third year, which is not going to work. At that point, you have to assume that it'll take whoever their new guy is a few years to get going. Campbell is not going to have that much time.

Get the new guy in here because of how deep this draft is, and you can get all the other defensive pieces with your other 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

I am 95% sure that is exactly what they are going to do

People won?t like it but I think the lions will need to package the 1st rounder from Stafford if they get him and trade up to get their qb. I think they may even need to swap with the jets to do it. I think Zach Wilson might be the pick to go after. I have a bad feeling Justin fields will slip but I?m also starting to think Mac Jones might even be ahead of him. Justin fields could very well be the 4th or 5th an selected in this draft.

People won?t like it but I think the lions will need to package the 1st rounder from Stafford if they get him and trade up to get their qb. I think they may even need to swap with the jets to do it. I think Zach Wilson might be the pick to go after. I have a bad feeling Justin fields will slip but I?m also starting to think Mac Jones might even be ahead of him. Justin fields could very well be the 4th or 5th an selected in this draft.

I agree. But I?m 100% ok with that. Yes, you have to build defense.....but get your QB. 4 years of a rookie deal.....then get your defense right. I don?t care if they package both 1sts and their 2nd.....GET. YOUR. GUY.

I go Wilson, Jones, Fields, Trask. Don?t want Lance. I think he?ll be a Vince Young type bust.

Back