Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions to Franchise Golladay

detroit1811

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/02/lions-expected-to-franchise-wr-kenny-golladay

According to Jason La Confora at least.

If true this is 100% the correct move. We are going to be involved in free agency after the big waves the first couple weeks. That gives us plenty of time to find a trade partner if that is the plan. If not then you keep him. I think it is an interesting decision on Golladay if he winds up on the team in 2021. Do you resign him now while the market is a little down and coming off injury? It so you would probably get him for around 16-18mil annually. If he stays healthy this year and has 1,300 yards and 10 TDS then you are looking at probably 22-24mil annually with the cap expected to drastically increase in 2022.

Rumor is he already declined 16mil a year to stay.

Hoping we find a trade partner... that way we can save millions on pelaton maintenance fees.

That report was when Bob Quinn was still GM. Now he is coming off injury in a year with a shrinking salary cap. Even on the open market I don?t think he finds more then 18mil per.

Also he dealt with some injuries his rookie year but managed to play 11 games. He played in 31 games the next two years. Last year he missed a bunch, but that happens to guys, doesn?t mean he is injury prone.

That's if he play's and is effective.

I think the idea is that they would trade him before the season, then that team would sign him to a long term contract (more likely, the team would work out the extension before the trade)

Yeah, I would have to think the idea would be to trade him. Franchise tags are the most tradeable contracts to have. 100% base salary.....no dead money situations. 100% of his cap number comes off the books and the new team can sign him long term without any cap implications to work around.

My opinion is that their plan is to keep him until they have replaced him. Meaning he will be traded after we draft a WR or until we sign one in FA. Like it or not, the hole that Quinn left us in at the WR position almost mandates we franchise him.

I think we could get a late 2nd from a team like Indy.....who needs talent outside and has more than enough cap space to sign him long term. Or possibly an early 3rd from Jacksonville....gives them someone to pair with Lawrence.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would have to think the idea would be to trade him. Franchise tags are the most tradeable contracts to have. 100% base salary.....no dead money situations. 100% of his cap number comes off the books and the new team can sign him long term without any cap implications to work around.

My opinion is that their plan is to keep him until they have replaced him. Meaning he will be traded after we draft a WR or until we sign one in FA. Like it or not, the hole that Quinn left us in at the WR position almost mandates we franchise him.

I think we could get a late 2nd from a team like Indy.....who needs talent outside and has more than enough cap space to sign him long term. Or possibly an early 3rd from Jacksonville....gives them someone to pair with Lawrence.

Problem will be the market. There's alot of FA WRs that are more productive than him, more reliable and can actually run a route other than a go route.

My guess this is a long process. Like you said detroit will wait to see where they stand post draft. Other teams will do the same and golladay will be a back burner option heading into camp. Once the FA market is dry and injuries start happening is probably when you see him moved.

Ideally they've already got calls and do something prior to the draft so we have an additional pick this year... but i think that's wishful thinking.

Any chance the Lions sign Curtis Samuel? Opinions?

He would be a good #2 receiver. Really good speed and versatility.

I don't think we will start the season with Golladay or Jones or Amendola. Samuel would be a good starting place. Give me Amari Rodgers in the 3rd and we would just have to find a #1 receiver.

Problem will be the market. There's alot of FA WRs that are more productive than him, more reliable and can actually run a route other than a go route.

My guess this is a long process. Like you said detroit will wait to see where they stand post draft. Other teams will do the same and golladay will be a back burner option heading into camp. Once the FA market is dry and injuries start happening is probably when you see him moved.

Ideally they've already got calls and do something prior to the draft so we have an additional pick this year... but i think that's wishful thinking.

There’s really only two that you could make that case for and that is Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin. Which I really doubt Tampa let’s Godwin hit FA. As far as Robinson I doubt the bears let him go but if they do it’ll be the same thing we’re gonna do with Kenny.

Last edited:
There’s really only two that you could make that case for and that is Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin. Which I really doubt Tampa let’s Godwin hit FA. As far as Robinson I doubt the bears let him go but if they do it’ll be the same thing we’re gonna do with Kenny.

Id take Juju over golladay 100 times out of 100. Will Fuller and Corey Davis probably end up being targeted before Golladay as well imo. Then you got Robinson and Godwin like you said. Then theres the OBJ market. Then theres a TON of middle tier guys that teams would want to target instead of paying an injury prone jump ball WR....guys like
Higgins
Marvin Jones
Keelan Cole
Bourne
Pascal
Reynolds

etc etc etc....

If im the lions id target guys like Higgins and take a flyer on a guy like John Ross. You can get both of them for cheaper than the 16 mil youre paying Golladay. Then you supplement through the draft.

Last edited:
Id take Juju over golladay 100 times out of 100. Will Fuller and Corey Davis probably end up being targeted before Golladay as well imo. Then you got Robinson and Godwin like you said. Then theres the OBJ market. Then theres a TON of middle tier guys that teams would want to target instead of paying an injury prone jump ball WR....guys like
Higgins
Marvin Jones
Keelan Cole
Bourne
Pascal
Reynolds

etc etc etc....

If im the lions id target guys like Higgins and take a flyer on a guy like John Ross. You can get both of them for cheaper than the 16 mil youre paying Golladay. Then you supplement through the draft.

I think you?re severely underrating KGs market. Will fuller hasn?t even sniffed a 1000 yard season in 5 years. Corey Davis at his best still isn?t KG worthy. KG is mentioned as a top 5 FA in all positions no matter where you look. Wasn?t like he had a major injury with surgery. So I doubt his injury does much to his value.

Higgins
Marvin Jones
Keelan Cole
Bourne
Pascal
Reynolds

etc etc etc....

"Multiple league sources have told me Golladay will get the tag after his relationship with the prior regime in Detroit got rocky over prolonged extension negotiations," La Canfora writes. "Could this be an eventual tag and trade? People around the league wouldn't rule that out with the Lions rebuilding and trying to amass picks."

"Many teams view him as the best WR option out there, but keeping him on the tag at around $16M, when the open market may bear around $19M, would make a lot of sense," writes La Canfora.

Not trying to say La Canfora's word is gospel or anything, but he said the BEST WR option out there. That mean's above even Godwin and Robinson. I personally would not agree with that assessment, but at worst he is the 3rd best WR to hit the market by almost any measure.

Last edited:
Any chance the Lions sign Curtis Samuel? Opinions?

That would be my best case scenario.

Sign Samuel. Love what he brings to an offense. Runs solid routes. Fast. Quick. Tough runner. Can be used out of the backfield as well so he is a true matchup nightmare....especially in the red zone. Is the definition of an explosive player.

Move KG for a pick.

Draft Chase.

I'd give Samuel the money WAY before I'd give it to Golladay.

Higgins
Marvin Jones
Keelan Cole
Bourne
Pascal
Reynolds

etc etc etc....

I've been on the "get John Ross cheap" train for a couple years now. Elite speed. His price tag is so low even if he doesn't work you wouldn't end up with much, if any, dead cap space.

I like Higgins as well, very similar to Marvin Jones. Not a burner but enough speed to get deep occasionally. Rood RAC guy....which we will need more than ever with Goff as our QB.

I also like Tim Patrick, but he is an RFA and will likely get a 2nd round tender.....and that price tag is too high for him. If the Broncos were willing to take less, like a 4th, he's a guy that has come on in Denver and could produce more somewhere else.

That would be my best case scenario.

Sign Samuel. Love what he brings to an offense. Runs solid routes. Fast. Quick. Tough runner. Can be used out of the backfield as well so he is a true matchup nightmare....especially in the red zone. Is the definition of an explosive player.

Move KG for a pick.

Draft Chase.

I'd give Samuel the money WAY before I'd give it to Golladay.

I like Samuel I do, but it depends on his cost. Sportrac is projecting him to get 12.5mil annually. That is too much, IMO. Samuel is not a #1 guy. Honestly he isn't really a #2 guy to me either. He is a gadget player who can be a very dynamic #3. Someone who will get 2-4 reverses/gadget plays a game and chip in a few more catches on quick hitting routes. A 600-800 total yards player. I think he would fit in awesome here if we drafted a stud like Chase or Smith. Waddle would probably be a bit redundant with Samuel, but we would add a lot of speed.

In saying that though, that isn't worth 12.5mil a year. Golladay is a guy who can take over a game with his physicality and toughness and can force teams to double him on almost every play. That is why he is a legit #1 and will be paid like it. Samuel does not require that type of attention. If you can bring him in for closer to 8-9 I would be for it.

I've been on the "get John Ross cheap" train for a couple years now. Elite speed. His price tag is so low even if he doesn't work you wouldn't end up with much, if any, dead cap space.

I like Higgins as well, very similar to Marvin Jones. Not a burner but enough speed to get deep occasionally. Rood RAC guy....which we will need more than ever with Goff as our QB.

I also like Tim Patrick, but he is an RFA and will likely get a 2nd round tender.....and that price tag is too high for him. If the Broncos were willing to take less, like a 4th, he's a guy that has come on in Denver and could produce more somewhere else.

I don't think that is a horrible route to go. Tag and trade KG. Sign Ross and Higgins to pair with Cephus and add a guy in the top 2 rounds of the draft. I think we would at least be competent at WR depending on what the rookie would bring.

I like Samuel I do, but it depends on his cost. Sportrac is projecting him to get 12.5mil annually. That is too much, IMO. Samuel is not a #1 guy. Honestly he isn't really a #2 guy to me either. He is a gadget player who can be a very dynamic #3. Someone who will get 2-4 reverses/gadget plays a game and chip in a few more catches on quick hitting routes. A 600-800 total yards player. I think he would fit in awesome here if we drafted a stud like Chase or Smith. Waddle would probably be a bit redundant with Samuel, but we would add a lot of speed.

In saying that though, that isn't worth 12.5mil a year. Golladay is a guy who can take over a game with his physicality and toughness and can force teams to double him on almost every play. That is why he is a legit #1 and will be paid like it. Samuel does not require that type of attention. If you can bring him in for closer to 8-9 I would be for it.

Golladay is coming off an injury. One year in 4 where I'd say he was a top receiver. I rather have a slot guy who can catch 100 balls a year.

Back