Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions to Franchise Golladay

I basically said this yesterday. Golladay with Goff makes little sense. Why pay a deep threat tons of money if you use him as a slot guy. That's where Kupp would be a better option. Nonetheless he's not available.

COuldnt really do a tag n trade with the rams because of their cap situation but i would tag n trade KG to the rams for Kupp in a heartbeat.

I think you could get a 2nd for tag and trade. Assuming new team worked out a deal wit him

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports impending free agent Kenny Golladay is a "strong" franchise tag candidate.
"I'll be very surprised if he's actually available," Rapoport added. The Lions are projected to be roughly $20 million over the cap after soaking up Jared Goff's $27.5 million on the books, making it harder to reach a long-term deal with Golladay, whose market value is likely somewhere between $16-$18 million annually. Currently in the midst of a full rebuild, it's also possible Detroit negotiates a tag and trade scenario with another suitor. Over the Cap projects the franchise tender for wide receivers to fall in the range of $16.4 million.

I heard some people say La Confora is an unreliable reporter in a couple other places. I know Rapoport is much more reliable so figured this kind of reinforces the original report.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports impending free agent Kenny Golladay is a "strong" franchise tag candidate.
"I'll be very surprised if he's actually available," Rapoport added. The Lions are projected to be roughly $20 million over the cap after soaking up Jared Goff's $27.5 million on the books, making it harder to reach a long-term deal with Golladay, whose market value is likely somewhere between $16-$18 million annually. Currently in the midst of a full rebuild, it's also possible Detroit negotiates a tag and trade scenario with another suitor. Over the Cap projects the franchise tender for wide receivers to fall in the range of $16.4 million.

I heard some people say La Confora is an unreliable reporter in a couple other places. I know Rapoport is much more reliable so figured this kind of reinforces the original report.

Lions are not 20 million over either. 6 million over at 180 cap or 1 million over if it reachs 185. Then about 30 million in space cleared from cuts that are happening. Money to franchise Golladay for sure. Based on Spielman, they aren't going to be super active in FA which is the right call for 2021.

Lions are not 20 million over either. 6 million over at 180 cap or 1 million over if it reachs 185. Then about 30 million in space cleared from cuts that are happening. Money to franchise Golladay for sure. Based on Spielman, they aren't going to be super active in FA which is the right call for 2021.

assuming they didn't include the Lions rollover cap space.

assuming they didn't include the Lions rollover cap space.

Yeah and assuming that is based on 175 cap too. Lions can make plenty of space. And that is before any potential restructures. Flowers, Goff.

Vaitai or Collins could too maybe but you probably don't want to drag more dead cap later for them

like LKP said, the numbers hes using alone paints him as a very unreliable reporter. How hes that far off on the cap number is busch league.

I think he knows more than most.

Last edited:
Think Rapoport was including the salary of Kenny's franchise number in the 20 million over. Only way that will make sense.

6 million over, 30 million in cuts. 16 million franchise. Would then be 8 under still or 13 under if 185 cap. Can make even more room if make Justin Coleman a June 1st cut. Other restructures they can make. They can franchise KG then trade and get that space back or even make it work with him under the tag. Long term deal his 2021 cap number would be way less than 16 million depending how they structured it too. Would have until July 15 for that

KG long term 4-5 years and Devonta Smith then don't worry about WR too much the rest of this rebuild. Would need one more WR and make Cephus number 4 again but can get a cheap 3rd. Rest of 2021 5 picks, 2022 8 picks, 2023 8 picks all defense and maybe Oline in there too on right side

6 million over, 30 million in cuts. 16 million franchise. Would then be 8 under still or 13 under if 185 cap. Can make even more room if make Justin Coleman a June 1st cut. Other restructures they can make. They can franchise KG then trade and get that space back or even make it work with him under the tag. Long term deal his 2021 cap number would be way less than 16 million depending how they structured it too. Would have until July 15 for that

KG long term 4-5 years and Devonta Smith then don't worry about WR too much the rest of this rebuild. Would need one more WR and make Cephus number 4 again but can get a cheap 3rd. Rest of 2021 5 picks, 2022 8 picks, 2023 8 picks all defense and maybe Oline in there too on right side

I've been all about defense almost every draft in the last 5+ years. This is is first year I have wanted offense. I really think retaining Golladay long term and drafting one of Chase/Waddle/Smith at WR is the way to go. Then you are pretty much done on offense for the next two years outside of a few depth pieces. Allows you the majority of our draft assets this and next year, not to mention a good chunk of cap space in free agency in 2021 to fix that defense.

I've been all about defense almost every draft in the last 5+ years. This is is first year I have wanted offense. I really think retaining Golladay long term and drafting one of Chase/Waddle/Smith at WR is the way to go. Then you are pretty much done on offense for the next two years outside of a few depth pieces. Allows you the majority of our draft assets this and next year, not to mention a good chunk of cap space in free agency in 2021 to fix that defense.

And those 5 years we stunk on defense. Make it 6.

And those 5 years we stunk on defense. Make it 6.

Agreed. My point was just that I usually don't agree with going offense. Some fans always want the flashy guys, that isn't me. I just think with where the team is at and the value at WR this year, its the best way to go.

I really don't think the first pick of this regime is going to be Parsons with his character concerns. There isn't anybody else I want on defense at #7. If we go defense I hope its after a trade back and all of the top three WR's are off the board.

$14mil for Golladay for 1 year isnt the end of the world....if you can make it fit under the cap. I still wouldnt do it. Id draft multiple WRs before you did that. There are a lot of legit sized outside WR options that you can get all the way into rd 4 this year:

Jamarr Chase 1st
Rashad Bateman 1st
Terrance Marshall 2nd
Nico Collins 3rd/4th
Tylan Wallace 3rd/4th
Seth Williams 3rd/4th
Sage Surrat 4th
Marquez Stevenson 4th/5th
Frank Darby 5th/6th

Agreed. My point was just that I usually don't agree with going offense. Some fans always want the flashy guys, that isn't me. I just think with where the team is at and the value at WR this year, its the best way to go.

I really don't think the first pick of this regime is going to be Parsons with his character concerns. There isn't anybody else I want on defense at #7. If we go defense I hope its after a trade back and all of the top three WR's are off the board.

I think this is an offense heavy draft so I don't have a problem with them going QB, WR or even LT if Sewell falls....this team needs talent.....plain and simple. If we go all out on defense we're looking at scoring about 17 pts/game with the current offense.

Free agency will also determine which direction they may go. I like Parsons a lot, but he isn't this once in a draft talent that won't be available again in '22. There is a Parsons in every draft. Landing Riddick would be nice.

Take the best fucking player available for the next 2 years......be selective in FA and then when we're staring at another 2 first round picks in '23.....take guys that help fill in the remaining holes. This team SHOULD be cap/draft capital rich in 2023 and have a solid core of 5-7 REALLY good players to build around.

Now, if we fuck up our picks and the few FA we get suck......well......

I think this is an offense heavy draft so I don't have a problem with them going QB, WR or even LT if Sewell falls....this team needs talent.....plain and simple. If we go all out on defense we're looking at scoring about 17 pts/game with the current offense.

Free agency will also determine which direction they may go. I like Parsons a lot, but he isn't this once in a draft talent that won't be available again in '22. There is a Parsons in every draft. Landing Riddick would be nice.

Take the best fucking player available for the next 2 years......be selective in FA and then when we're staring at another 2 first round picks in '23.....take guys that help fill in the remaining holes. This team SHOULD be cap/draft capital rich in 2023 and have a solid core of 5-7 REALLY good players to build around.

Now, if we fuck up our picks and the few FA we get suck......well......

If it's an offense heavy draft shouldn't that mean we can take a offensive players later? They could take 2 wideouts, 2 guards, a RB, stud QB and still won't win games. Take a front seven at 7 even if he's rated in the 10-12 range.

If it's an offense heavy draft shouldn't that mean we can take a offensive players later? They could take 2 wideouts, 2 guards, a RB, stud QB and still won't win games. Take a front seven at 7 even if he's rated in the 10-12 range.

The only time you ever even consider that is if you are a good team in need of a select few pieces. Bad teams don't get better quicker reaching for guys who aren't the best players on the board. Clearly what he meant is it is a top heavy offensive draft. There is a good chance the only defender picked inside the top 9 is parsons and that is far from a lock even he goes that high.

Yes and no. Maybe I should have said it?s a very top heavy offensive draft. Light on top defensive talent. If your sitting at 7 and you have Waddle ranked significantly higher than Parsons.....you take Waddle. Anyone picked is cheap for 4 years.....it?s in year 5 where there might be a difference in salary.....and then it?s minimal.

I think it?s short sighted to draft defense just to draft defense when we?re so short on talent on both sides of the ball.

Back