Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions to Franchise Golladay

Too bad Cooper Kupp wasn't a FA. I'd take him over Golladay all day long.

Golladay is coming off an injury. One year in 4 where I'd say he was a top receiver. I rather have a slot guy who can catch 100 balls a year.

He was over 1,000 yards in year two and three and if not for injury, was on pace to do it again in year 4. He has proven to be very good in the red zone which is one of the most valuable traits to have. He is coming off a hip injury that, from what I've heard, and should not have any lasting effects.

Samuel is not a 100 catch a year guy, IMO. He is a guy you manufacture touches for. He isn't a Jarvis Landry, or Wes Welker type. He is not a Tyreek Hill type.

Golladay has a very well respected reputation for a reason, and he and Samuel aren't even close as players.

Too bad Cooper Kupp wasn't a FA. I'd take him over Golladay all day long.

I am a huge Kupp fan myself, but he doesn't compare to Golladay either. Two completely different types of WR. Golladay can be an alpha #1 WR who needs double covered. Kupp is a great player, but he isn't that.

I am a huge Kupp fan myself, but he doesn't compare to Golladay either. Two completely different types of WR. Golladay can be an alpha #1 WR who needs double covered. Kupp is a great player, but he isn't that.

Now youre getting carried away....no one is shaking in their boots and rolling coverage to Golladay. Ive rarely seen anything more than him just being manned up. Theres no reason to otherwise....he cant run a route to save his life. CBs are on him like glue.

Now youre getting carried away....no one is shaking in their boots and rolling coverage to Golladay. Ive rarely seen anything more than him just being manned up. Theres no reason to otherwise....he cant run a route to save his life. CBs are on him like glue.

this is a good point. Why would any team double cover him if he can't get separation? He is good at catching contested balls though. I wonder if he is so good at it because he can't get open?

I want a guy that can catch balls. His route runner is good and he has a high catch %. It translates into 3rd down completions. And he'd be cheaper. Deep threats are nice but in this offense Goff is not really a deep threat QB. Slot and run the ball a bit and you move the 1st down markers much more frequently. Less time for defense to be out there.

I like Samuel I do, but it depends on his cost. Sportrac is projecting him to get 12.5mil annually. That is too much, IMO. Samuel is not a #1 guy. Honestly he isn't really a #2 guy to me either. He is a gadget player who can be a very dynamic #3. Someone who will get 2-4 reverses/gadget plays a game and chip in a few more catches on quick hitting routes. A 600-800 total yards player. I think he would fit in awesome here if we drafted a stud like Chase or Smith. Waddle would probably be a bit redundant with Samuel, but we would add a lot of speed.

In saying that though, that isn't worth 12.5mil a year. Golladay is a guy who can take over a game with his physicality and toughness and can force teams to double him on almost every play. That is why he is a legit #1 and will be paid like it. Samuel does not require that type of attention. If you can bring him in for closer to 8-9 I would be for it.

I get the Spotrac projection.....but I don't think it takes into account....

1. Cap is going down, so very few guys are going to "cash in" this year. I think we'll see more 1 year deals than normal.

2. Very crowded WR market this year, with 4-5 more WR projected as 1st round picks.

I think Samuel could be a good #2. He was also on a team with two very good WR and still produced. Is he more of a slot guy, yes, but he can certainly be productive enough, IMO, to warrant a good contract. I think as long as we made year one as cheap as possible, having him at around $12M/year for the next 4-5 years would be a steal......he doesn't turn 25 for 6 months, had over 1000 total yards last year and only played about 68% of their snaps. That's production.

5 years, $55M, $25M guaranteed.

Samuel seems like he's getting better over the years. Be curious what he'd do if he was more of an option.

There was like 3 samuels on that team. DJ Moore is like the same guy. McCaffrey catches a lot of balls out of the backfield when hes not injured too. Samuel can be a Golden Tate for sure. Robbie Anderson took a lot of targets this year too. Samuel might be looking to get himself into a situation where hes targeted more...Lions can offer that.

I wouldnt even talk to him if i was pitching him. Id just Zoom call him with a image of our depth chart headlines by Cephus and Allison and at the bottom id write "when would you like to come sign your contract?"

Last edited:
this is a good point. Why would any team double cover him if he can't get separation? He is good at catching contested balls though. I wonder if he is so good at it because he can't get open?

Probably part of it. He simply can't win with separation on a consistent basis so he's had to rely on his body control and hands to make catches.

And he is great at it, not just good. He is probably the best in the league.

Probably part of it. He simply can't win with separation on a consistent basis so he's had to rely on his body control and hands to make catches.

And he is great at it, not just good. He is probably the best in the league.

Agreed...i cant say anyone is better at it right now so hes definitely among the best. I just dont know how much that is worth when youre talking about a new 4 year contract.

Hes being lumped into the upper eschelon of FA WRs...but i wouldnt say any of them are great. The only way id pay any of them more than $16 mil is if i had to burn cap space cause i was too far under lol. None of them are difference makers. Id take the headache OBJ for $16 mil before i gave it to Allen Robinson.

I am of the opinion that QBs have a bigger impact on a WR's production vs. the other way around. A. Robinson might be great. Look at the QB's throwing him the ball over the course of his career. Blake Bortles, Mitch Trubisky and a little Nick Foles. Put him with a great QB and he may take off.

Agreed...i cant say anyone is better at it right now so hes definitely among the best. I just dont know how much that is worth when youre talking about a new 4 year contract.

Hes being lumped into the upper eschelon of FA WRs...but i wouldnt say any of them are great. The only way id pay any of them more than $16 mil is if i had to burn cap space cause i was too far under lol. None of them are difference makers. Id take the headache OBJ for $16 mil before i gave it to Allen Robinson.

Agreed. I would too.

Golladay would be an absolutely perfect fit in Green Bay or KC....but they're both cap strapped as it is. I think Baltimore or Indy would be the best destinations that could fit him in thier 2021 cap.

I wouldn't mind keeping him, but I don't think he'd make us as good as a $16M/year defender would. Bud Dupree, Avery Williamson or Jayon Brown.

I am of the opinion that QBs have a bigger impact on a WR's production vs. the other way around. A. Robinson might be great. Look at the QB's throwing him the ball over the course of his career. Blake Bortles, Mitch Trubisky and a little Nick Foles. Put him with a great QB and he may take off.

2008 Calvin Johnson says hi.

I get what you're saying, though. But I think its 50/50. Watching Devonte Adams proves that, to me. He is amazing running his routes.....and yes, Aaron Rodgers is really good too...but that dude is special. Constantly open. So sudden for his size.

Also, and I know this won't be a popular opinion, but Tyreke Hill makes Mahomes better. He does. Not saying Mahomes isn't good or anything like that.....but that guy cannot be guarded man to man by any DB in football. Not Ramsey. Not Jaire Alexander. He is the ultimate weapon in football because he draws Calvin Johnson coverages but has more pure speed and quickness than CJ did.

2008 Calvin Johnson says hi.

I get what you're saying, though. But I think its 50/50. Watching Devonte Adams proves that, to me. He is amazing running his routes.....and yes, Aaron Rodgers is really good too...but that dude is special. Constantly open. So sudden for his size.

Also, and I know this won't be a popular opinion, but Tyreke Hill makes Mahomes better. He does. Not saying Mahomes isn't good or anything like that.....but that guy cannot be guarded man to man by any DB in football. Not Ramsey. Not Jaire Alexander. He is the ultimate weapon in football because he draws Calvin Johnson coverages but has more pure speed and quickness than CJ did.

Waddle reminds me of Davante Adams. Dude was getting wide open on 1 leg lol. But his quick first step and shiftiness gets him open 100% of the time.

KENNY GOLLADAY, DETROIT LIONS
The Lions are in a tough situation when it comes to their wide receivers. Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones Jr. and Danny Amendola are all free agents. Jones and Amendola appear to be on their way out, with Golladay likely the team?s primary focus to lock up long-term.

The issue with Golladay comes down to new Lions quarterback Jared Goff. As I wrote in my fantasy fallout piece after the Matthew Stafford-Goff trade, Golladay thrives as a downfield and contested-catch receiver ? two areas where Goff isn?t particularly known for excelling.

Goff ranks 31st in pass-play percentage over 20 yards (9%) and 52nd out of 60 qualifying quarterbacks in aDOT (7.5) since 2019.

At 27 years old, Golladay still has a lot to offer as a true No. 1 wide receiver and is a dynamite asset in fantasy. He just needs to land with a team/quarterback that will be aggressive and push the ball downfield. Golladay was the driving force during Stafford?s hot start to the 2019 season. He was a top-10 fantasy wide receiver in that time, and he averaged 16.4 fantasy points per game in his four healthy games in 2020 ? 12th-best at the position.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2021/2/...ny-giants-kenny-golladay-is-the-universal-fit

https://youtu.be/np3RJFN-ah8

Let?s look at why Kenny Golladay would be such a wise investment. Golladay is the ?universal fit,? a receiver who makes sense in any system, and can be a force at all levels of the field. This video breakdown dives into what Golladay could mean for the Giants, and Jones:

?Golladay has the size and athleticism required to be a big target on the outside, along with that contested-catch prowess, but he also possesses enough nuance in his route running to function well in any system,? PFF explains.

Golladay has been one of the best big play threats in the league the last few years. You better believe, more often then not, when he went downfield a safety went with. He isn't on the level as some of the best of the best, where he will get bracketed on virtually every play, but he demands extra attention from the defense.

Kupp is a guy who might get bracketed on 3rd down or on key plays, but thats it.

I agree that there is a need for a slot guy who is very reliable on 3rd down and doesn't drop many balls (like Cole Beasley). Those guys though don't change an entire offense. Just look at what Diggs did for Buffalo. They had John Brown and Cole Beasley. They needed Diggs to really take off.

I personally think if they sign Golladay long term this year at say 18mil per that contract will look fantastic in another year. The cap will explode in 2022, and guys like Courtland Sutton and D.J. Chark and going to get paid 20mil+. Neither guy is as good as Golladay, IMO.

You want you 100 catch slot guy. Re-sign Golladay and draft Jaylen Waddle. You have your deep threat who might be the best contested catch WR in the NFL in Golladay. You will have the speed demon who can make defenders look silly all over the field. Then you have Cephus who is more of a big bodied possession guy who knows how to use his body to shield defenders and make the tough grabs. Throw in Hockenson who should be even better this year and Swift in the backfield and now your cooking.

Before someone says Goff can't throw the deep ball, look what he did with Cooks when he had him. He has proven before that he can do it. Not saying he will, but it is at least in his arsenal.

KENNY GOLLADAY, DETROIT LIONS
The Lions are in a tough situation when it comes to their wide receivers. Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones Jr. and Danny Amendola are all free agents. Jones and Amendola appear to be on their way out, with Golladay likely the team?s primary focus to lock up long-term.

The issue with Golladay comes down to new Lions quarterback Jared Goff. As I wrote in my fantasy fallout piece after the Matthew Stafford-Goff trade, Golladay thrives as a downfield and contested-catch receiver ? two areas where Goff isn?t particularly known for excelling.

Goff ranks 31st in pass-play percentage over 20 yards (9%) and 52nd out of 60 qualifying quarterbacks in aDOT (7.5) since 2019.

At 27 years old, Golladay still has a lot to offer as a true No. 1 wide receiver and is a dynamite asset in fantasy. He just needs to land with a team/quarterback that will be aggressive and push the ball downfield. Golladay was the driving force during Stafford?s hot start to the 2019 season. He was a top-10 fantasy wide receiver in that time, and he averaged 16.4 fantasy points per game in his four healthy games in 2020 ? 12th-best at the position.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2021/2/...ny-giants-kenny-golladay-is-the-universal-fit

https://youtu.be/np3RJFN-ah8

Let?s look at why Kenny Golladay would be such a wise investment. Golladay is the ?universal fit,? a receiver who makes sense in any system, and can be a force at all levels of the field. This video breakdown dives into what Golladay could mean for the Giants, and Jones:

?Golladay has the size and athleticism required to be a big target on the outside, along with that contested-catch prowess, but he also possesses enough nuance in his route running to function well in any system,? PFF explains.

Golladay has been one of the best big play threats in the league the last few years. You better believe, more often then not, when he went downfield a safety went with. He isn't on the level as some of the best of the best, where he will get bracketed on virtually every play, but he demands extra attention from the defense.

Kupp is a guy who might get bracketed on 3rd down or on key plays, but thats it.

I agree that there is a need for a slot guy who is very reliable on 3rd down and doesn't drop many balls (like Cole Beasley). Those guys though don't change an entire offense. Just look at what Diggs did for Buffalo. They had John Brown and Cole Beasley. They needed Diggs to really take off.
I basically said this yesterday. Golladay with Goff makes little sense. Why pay a deep threat tons of money if you use him as a slot guy. That's where Kupp would be a better option. Nonetheless he's not available.

Back