Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Trade for Michael Brockers and Sign Jamaal Williams

detroit1811

Lions acquired DL Michael Brockers from the Rams.
The move clears $6.166 million in cap space for the direly-strapped Rams. Brockers has spent his entire nine-year career with the Rams, arriving as the No. 14 overall pick of the St. Louis Rams in 2012. He was an every-week starter the entire time, logging 789 snaps in 2020. His five sacks last season were his most since 2013. He is still a fine presence on the interior of a defense, though 2021 will be his age-31 campaign.

Lions signed RB Jamaal Williams, formerly of the Packers, to a two-year, $7.5 million contract.
Williams is a high-end backup and role player, particularly on passing downs. He's essentially a poor man's D'Andre Swift, which is a little bit of a bummer for both of their fantasy outlooks. Williams should be in the mix on some passing downs after catching 25-plus passes in four-straight seasons, and there will be a ton of passing downs up for grabs given the Lions' 2021 roster. Williams should be viewed as an insurance type with a path to a bellcow workload in the event of a Swift injury. Swift is a risky RB1/2.

I really really like the Williams signing. He has been a high end backup for the Packers and has never had below 400 rushing yards or 200 receiving yards in a season. He was my #1 target at RB as a cost effective and very reliable option.

The Brockers move is surprising because of his age, but he is about the best we could expect in a free agency and draft that is very weak at DT. He has been a very reliable starter inside for his entire career and should be a solid veteran presence.

Jamaal Williams is signing a two-year $7.5M deal with the Lions, per
@TomPelissero

Williams: 76.9 PFF Grade in 2020 (12th)

Still need starters at DT, LB, LB, S and 3rd CB on D.

WR, WR, RG, RT on O.

But atleast we got our back up rb!

Do we know what we gave up to get BROCKERS? I had to be a late pick.

I like both signings. But another rb...yay.

Would you rather spend draft capital on one? It is a backup running back deal he signed, not like big money. We are going to be a run oriented team so we need 2-3 capable RBs.

Lions are also showing preliminary interest in Keanu Neal.

Why the Rams traded Brockers
Jourdan Rodrigue, Rams beat writer: It's my understanding that, as they worked to get under the cap over the last couple of days, the Rams simply could not reach an agreement on terms with Brockers and his agent as they tried to restructure his deal. Rather than cutting him, they found a viable trade partner in Holmes and the Detroit Lions.

The Rams made it clear that they were not going to stay at his previous number, a $6.5 million base salary in 2021. Because their other option was cutting him, that means the return on the trade will be very small.

What he brings to Detroit
Rodrigue: Brockers is a team captain, an emotional and physical leader and a force within a defense that will help set a tone in Detroit under the new regime. That's one reason why Holmes was probably happy to trade for him with minimal return — he has seen who Brockers is and what he brings, from the locker room to the field. At 30 years old last year, he started 15 games for the Rams and recorded five sacks while playing about 65-70 percent of defensive snaps.

What to make of Lions GM Brad Holmes' two trades with his former team
Chris Burke, Lions beat writer: The new Lions regime has talked a lot about finding players they can trust to help them lay a foundation. Holmes had enough faith in Goff to hand him the reins for a bit. And, now, Brockers should be expected to step in as a core locker-room leader.

Holmes is still transitioning his front office, and he likely will be beyond April's draft. It should come as no surprise, then, if he leans on ex-Rams that he knows well or ex-Saints who are familiar with first-year head coach Dan Campbell. Brockers fits a positional need, but his impact could reach beyond that.

Not many rushes in Jamaal Williams career but he seemed to do okay past two years plus outside old man Peterson have we had a RB stay healthy for one whole season? Sure beats drafting one.

I wouldn't have signed Williams. There will be veteran minimum options out there later in free agency. Hell, even go get an undrafted free agent after the draft is over (see James Robinson)

I wouldn't have signed Williams. There will be veteran minimum options out there later in free agency. Hell, even go get an undrafted free agent after the draft is over (see James Robinson)

I probably would go this route, too. Need to save money in places it can be saved. Back up RB is one of those places.....and I?m not convinced Kerryon isn?t better than Williams. Solid RB?s can be had late in FA, after camp cuts and with UDFA?s.

Williams can be solid. Not sure I want to count on an undrafted rook. They're rare.

I probably would go this route, too. Need to save money in places it can be saved. Back up RB is one of those places.....and I?m not convinced Kerryon isn?t better than Williams. Solid RB?s can be had late in FA, after camp cuts and with UDFA?s.

I think you guys are way undervaluing a RB. If Swift gets hurt do we want Kerryon and an UDFA running the show. Jamaal Williams has been an excellent #2 in GB for four years and is signed for less then 4mil AAV (and probably less because that is max value).

PFF had him as the 12th BEST RB in the entire NFL last year. I know pff grades aren't everything, but as your #2 RB, that is pretty damn impressive.

Just saying, Jamaal Williams >>>> Adrian Peterson at this stage of his career, and those are the guys who will be getting late in FA.

D’Andre Swift figures to be the lead back in Detroit heading into the 2021 season, which means Williams will likely serve a similar complementary role to the one that he held in Green Bay alongside Aaron Jones. Williams has played well in that role these past two years, earning PFF grades of 74.9 and 76.9 in 2019 and 2020, respectively, on 400-500 offensive snaps. He’s picked up 80.0-plus grades as both a runner and a receiver over the course of his career, and only Jordan Howard has a higher pass-blocking grade than Williams since 2017. As far as No. 2 running backs go, Williams is one of the best.

That said, Williams does still project as a No. 2 running back on this team, and a potential payout of $3.75 million per year sits at the high end for that role. It remains to be seen what the details of the deal are, so that could end up being lower. It still will likely leave the Lions fairly heavily invested in the running back position when factoring in the early second-round pick spent on Swift last offseason and the second-round pick spent on Kerryon Johnson in 2018.

He is a high end #2 and maybe the best pass blocking RB in the NFL.

I think you guys are way undervaluing a RB. If Swift gets hurt do we want Kerryon and an UDFA running the show. Jamaal Williams has been an excellent #2 in GB for four years and is signed for less then 4mil AAV (and probably less because that is max value).

PFF had him as the 12th BEST RB in the entire NFL last year. I know pff grades aren't everything, but as your #2 RB, that is pretty damn impressive.

I think having good backups are key for a team that is expecting to be a playoff / championship caliber team. Teams that are re-building...good backups are a luxury. Better to spend the cap space on the starting positions that are currently vacant.

Back