Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

LOL at Urban Meyer

The ultimate WTF part of Lloyd's tenure was his last bowl game. You come out running that offense and it works that well after you had so much inconsistency on offense during the regular season. That game validated the feeling that he and his staff were underachieving given the talent they had.

If we ran that offense all season, UF would have had more time to prepare for it, and it wouldn't have been as effective. And also Henne and Hart were injured or at least not 100% for much of that season. They did what they had to.

We do know for sure. Tressel cheated his entire college head coaching career. We have Youngstown State as proof of that. He had his bagman, Mickey Monus, paying their best player and Monus was on the sideline of every game for the Penguins.

Tressel got a 5 year show cause for good reason and it sure as hell wasn't just tattoos.

Once it was proven that the way Tressel did things would lead to wins against Michigan, all bets were off.

I think it's telling Tressel never won Big Ten coach of the Year, as voted by the coaches or the local media. (Although I looked it up, and Lloyd Carr never did either. Huh. Moeller won twice, and Bo won a bunch of times... but I digress)

Nor did Tressell ever get a job since then, even though his "show cause" expired in 2016, and he was only 63 at the time.

He won 6 Big Ten championships, 1 national championship, and NO ONE wanted anything to do with him...?? not even schools with zero expectations, who would do anything to turn their programs around, like Kansas, Arizona, South Carolina, etc. And I have a hard time believing he was too toxic for a typical Southern or Texas state school. All they care about is winning and putting fans in the seats. They all knew he useless outside Ohio

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's telling Tressel never won Big Ten coach of the Year, as voted by the coaches or the local media. (Although I looked it up, and Lloyd Carr never did either. Huh. Moeller won twice, and Bo won a bunch of times... but I digress)

Nor did Tressell ever get a job since then, even though his "show cause" expired in 2016, and he was only 63 at the time.

He won 6 Big Ten championships, 1 national championship, and NO ONE wanted anything to do with him...?? not even schools with zero expectations, who would do anything to turn their programs around, like Kansas, Arizona, South Carolina, etc. And I have a hard time believing he was too toxic for a typical Southern or Texas state school. All they care about is winning and putting fans in the seats. They all knew he useless outside Ohio

But Tressel had such a great relationship with the FBI. You?d think that?d be a plus on the resume. That, and graduating his players.

Didn't Bacon's book confirm Gulo's version is correct? Carr finally announced his resignation, and Bill Martin STILL didn't do shit to start the coaching search for a month? If Carr was pushed out, WTF was Bill Martin doing then? You think he'd push his coach out, then do nothing to find a replacement?

We saw this all before... the opinion of fans bitching on the internet is mostly out-of-line with MOST Michigan alums... and even further remote from actual people in the Athletic Department.

You talk to older Michigan alums, particularly women, and they all supported Carr until the end, and felt he represented the University well. Winning and losing games is important, but not everything.

My impression is that Martin thought Les Miles was a done deal?then Kirk Herbstreit broke the ?story? on ESPN GameDay the morning of the SEC Championship game?and LSU won and kinda fell into the BCS Championship game?so Martin had a retiring coach and the replacement he thought he had suddenly wasn?t for sure?so a sham search got underway?and everybody was caught with their dick in their hand?

Urban fired in the middle of the night last night.

That rotten creep goes down in flames!

New allegations he kicked a player (former kicker Josh Lambo) which he denied, got into a screaming match with his WRs (also denied) and insulted all his assistant coaches.

Ohio State fans will probably hold a prayer vigil for him, and claim he's the victim in all this

Urban fired in the middle of the night last night.

That rotten creep goes down in flames!

New allegations he kicked a player (former kicker Josh Lambo) which he denied, got into a screaming match with his WRs (also denied) and insulted all his assistant coaches.

Ohio State fans will probably hold a prayer vigil for him, and claim he's the victim in all this

Hell of a run. A historic era in Jacksonville.

It seems like Buckeye fans are all over the place with their feelings on this, but one delusion I keep seeing is along the lines of "He tried to be an authoritarian demigod like he was in college, but that approach just doesn?t work in the NFL with paid professionals."

Authoritarian? This is a guy who's players' off-field criminal issues at UF were notorious, and he tolerated all of it to get W's. Pretty obvious that he knew, or should've known Aaron Hernandez was a gangbanger when other teams passed on him for that reason during recruiting.

And he only fired wife-beating alcoholic Zach Smith when the press broke the story.

Whatever those things are, they're not examples of a authoritarian, or a disciplinarian, who's all about "faith, family, and football"

It seems like Buckeye fans are all over the place with their feelings on this, but one delusion I keep seeing is along the lines of "He tried to be an authoritarian demigod like he was in college, but that approach just doesn?t work in the NFL with paid professionals."

Authoritarian? This is a guy who's players' off-field criminal issues at UF were notorious, and he tolerated all of it to get W's. Pretty obvious that he knew, or should've known Aaron Hernandez was a gangbanger when other teams passed on him for that reason during recruiting.

And he only fired wife-beating alcoholic Zach Smith when the press broke the story.

Whatever those things are, they're not examples of a authoritarian, or a disciplinarian, who's all about "faith, family, and football"

Nail, meet champ's sledgehammer.

There's a difference between being a control freak and an authoritarian. He was a control freak because he had no problem ruining the lives of anyone who opposed him, but he would use any means necessary to ensure his success even if it meant overlooking truly evil peoples' flaws as long as they could help him win.

Conversely, Jim is an authoritarian in the sense that he sets expectations and doesn't put up with people who do not meet them, regardless of how good they are at football or coaching. He's dismissed countless players who were very talented because they weren't meeting expectations off the field (Kareem Walker, Chris Evans & Ahmir Mitchell come to mind). When is the last time OSU even suspended, let alone dismissed, a player for off field issues? At least when they weren't backed into a corner like they were with their QB who had a DUI and the story broke before they could bury it.

We all knew he was a scumbag. It's great to see that piece of shit get his comeuppance.

I really enjoy the fact that a week ago Urban was busy saying that if they figure out who is leaking information (meaning basically who is basically saying how much of a piece of shit he is) that they would be fired and then he got fired.

I really enjoy the fact that a week ago Urban was busy saying that if they figure out who is leaking information (meaning basically who is basically saying how much of a piece of shit he is) that they would be fired and then he got fired.

He thought he was the Josef Stalin of teh Jaguars, but he was really the Yezhov

5b08d4350f8c4f85a1061f04e7e65eef.jpg

Jaguars owner Shad Khan does sort of resemble Stalin...0

Last edited by a moderator:
Side note: Stalin's birth name was Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili.

Photographs have been altered and manipulated from the nascent stages of photography.

Interesting that Stalin can be used as a humor foil, but not Hitler, when Stalin really did want to take over the planet, while Hitler merely wanted to wreck Germany.

I don?t believe a word that Hitler wrote. His actions are self-explanatory. Stalin was the big cog in a world view. Hitler was a petty gangster with an army and the consent of the people.

Petty gangster that almost successfully completed a genocide and was well on his way to taking over an entire continent.

800px-Europe_under_Nazi_domination.png

I contend that Hitler?s base intent was to simply wreck what ever he could as fast as possible, and I think he was wildly successful. That map is a snapshot of his success, enabled in a large part by appeasing world leaders. He could have been squashed in the larval stage, but wasn?t.

Back