Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Might As Well Start Looking Forward to 2022 Now

detroit1811

I know it is only week 5, but looking ahead to the off-season is basically an annual Detroit Lions tradition. Once we drop the salaries of Flowers and Vatai, we will be sitting on 50-60mil in cap space for the 2022 off-season. With the money we had and the fact that this year would basically be a wash, 2021 was not a year to spend in FA. That doesn't mean in 2022 we should spend like crazy, but a few key additions will go a long way in building for the future. Below are a few guys I have my eye on that I think are worth spending the money to get.

Marcus Williams, S, New Orleans - New Orleans cap space is going to be a major issue again. I don't see them retaining/tagging Williams again. If that is the case there may not be a better talent/familiarity fit then Williams. We so desperately need a playmaking safety to stabilize the back end of this defense and pairing him with Walker (who we should re-sign), would go a long way in fixing this defense.

Chris Godwin/Allen Robinson/Mike Williams/Courtland Sutton/Michael Gallup, WR - We cannot go into 2022 without a proven #1 WR. The FA class is very deep next year and I think it would be a mistake not to come away with one of the top guys. I think Cephus has shown enough this year to potentially work his way into the #2 spots or at worst be very good depth as the #2/#3. St. Brown has had some moments, but the jury is still out on him. I do think he develops into a quality slot guy. That leaves open a spot for a true #1 and a rookie who can compete for the #2 spot. That would make this group average at least, which is miles ahead of where we are now. I would rank these guys as the top 5 guys I would go after in the order I have them listed.

Josey Jewell/Leighton Vander Esch, LB'er - Neither one of these guys would be high dollar additions, but both would be a worthwhile gamble. Jewell is coming off a very good 2020 season and was having a great start to 2021, but injured his pec and is done for the year. Would be a great one year trial with upside. Vander Esch had a great start to his career, but poor play and injuries have started to mount. I think his upside and play he has put on tape in the past makes him a worthwhile reclamation project too.

Add in 5 picks in the first three rounds and we can start building a nucleous for 2022 and beyond. A key is seeing how these young guys develop throughout this season and who we can build around in the future.

Round 1 (Top 5?)
Round 1
Round 2 (Top 5?)
Round 3 (Top 5?)
Round 3 (Comp)
Round 5 (Comp)
Round 6 (Top 5?)
Round 6 (Comp)
Round 7

Personally I am looking forward to 2023 and 2024. Anyone expecting a playoff run before that is fooling themselves. Quinn and Patricia completely undermined the entire team and that is not fixed in 2 years...this is a 3 year minimum rebuild, likely 4 years to make playoffs.

Personally I am looking forward to 2023 and 2024. Anyone expecting a playoff run before that is fooling themselves. Quinn and Patricia completely undermined the entire team and that is not fixed in 2 years...this is a 3 year minimum rebuild, likely 4 years to make playoffs.

Goff is going to be the QB in 2022. 2023 they get a new QB. 2024 or 2025 is the earliest they will compete for the playoffs. My guess is Campbell is fired before then.

Not expecting much in 22 either. This team is probably in a worse position than expansion team. Two years just to clear out bad contracts.

Not expecting much in 22 either. This team is probably in a worse position than expansion team. Two years just to clear out bad contracts.

Absolutely... but I cannot imagine how much worse off we would feel right now if Urban had been hired to coach the Lions. So, at a minimum they did not hire the absutely worst possible coach. Campbell has respect of the players and while he might say some dumb things and make some questionable decisions, that is true of nearly every coach.

Urban has lost the locker room, possibly his job, and maybe eventually his marriage.

Their time together rivals any 3 year run Millen had.

Their time together rivals any 3 year run Millen had.

That is a very interesting and entertaining analysis. I wonder if someone has time to make the direct comparison, it would be very interesting to see which GM was worse.

My memory is a bit fuzzy but I think Quinn had more pieces to work with when they took over, franchise QB already in place with Stafford and some weapons. Brings in Patricia and .500/playoff potential turns into garbage.

Millen came in post-Barry with Batch, think the defense was a bit better though. Millen did nothing and his leash was way too long.

Mayhew may have actually been the best GM this century lol. Made his fair share of bad picks but also a wizard when it came to flipping late round picks for starters.

Last edited:
If only we could go back to our glory years of Martin Mayhew and Jim Schwartz/Caldwell. Seriously though, We don?t have a single face of the franchise type of player. In those years we had a Calvin, Stafford, Suh, and even Levy for a little while. Not to mention some really solid players around them like Ansah, Tulloch, Slay, Quinn, Diggs, Fairley, Vanden Bosch, Golden Tate, Marvin Jones, and I?m sure quite a few more.

That is a very interesting and entertaining analysis. I wonder if someone has time to make the direct comparison, it would be very interesting to see which GM was worse.

I still think that Patricia and Quinn were far worse. They were lucky to have Stafford who kept games close and won them some games. Like I said in the games Stafford was down, I think they were like 0-11. Which is very comparable to the qb situations that Millen had. And his teams still won a few games a year.

Nothing really to look forward to with the Fords still in charge.

They gave Campbell 6 years not the usual 4. So he will coach through 2024 at least. They would have to be terrible in 2023 for him to get the early boot. So it's possible. We'll see how much talent Holmes can bring in with all these extra picks and early picks.

They gave Campbell 6 years not the usual 4. So he will coach through 2024 at least. They would have to be terrible in 2023 for him to get the early boot. So it's possible. We'll see how much talent Holmes can bring in with all these extra picks and early picks.

Hes getting the early boot. Dude doesnt even kick a FG with 4 min left and down 10 lol. Im pretty sure the 8 cups of coffee in the morning has completely fried his brain. Hes not a football caoch. Hes just Bernie from weekend at Bernie's at this point.

Hes getting the early boot. Dude doesnt even kick a FG with 4 min left and down 10 lol. Im pretty sure the 8 cups of coffee in the morning has completely fried his brain. Hes not a football caoch. Hes just Bernie from weekend at Bernie's at this point.

Analytics say to go for it. He admitted a mistake too in passing the ball and rushing the play at least too. So he is seeing errors and trying to correct. More can be said for past coaches

On ESPNs QB rankings this week Goff is ranked 30th lol. Behind every single rookie qb other than Lance (whos only played a half).

Good job Holmes....

Analytics say to go for it. He admitted a mistake too in passing the ball and rushing the play at least too. So he is seeing errors and trying to correct. More can be said for past coaches

Analytics dont say to go for it down 10 with 4 minutes left. Maybe thats why hes fucking up so much....his analytics book is wrong.

96.8 rating for Goff without WRs. Though he has some costly turnovers, some not his fault too (Sewell whiff and bad snap) and goes short way too often. Missed many big throws too.

A rookie would be hindered playing right now on this team and maybe ruin his development. Now even more with Decker, Ragnow and Sewell and Ty Williams hurt. So it's best Goff is playing actually

Analytics dont say to go for it down 10 with 4 minutes left. Maybe thats why hes fucking up so much....his analytics book is wrong.

They do say go for it in that situation for probability to win. Goff missed the throw and St Brown hesitated.

Old school football says be safe and kick the FG. Patricia kicks the FG and Lions still lose because they can't play defense

Back