Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Minny

This is all scheme on defense. These players aren't this bad. They just aren't being put in positions to succeed

It?s not all scheme - we have 5 d-backs and they don?t cover anyone. But you?re not wrong about the scheme being shit. clearly we should be running a 4-3 (don?t have the LBs to run a 3-4) rather than relying on a bunch of d-backs that couldn?t cover a twin bed with a king sized sheet. Teams will still throw in us but maybe we could get some pressure and get less embarrassed.

Last edited:
This is all scheme on defense. These players aren't this bad. They just aren't being put in positions to succeed

I think it's scheme AND piss poor coaching.

Walker bailed Tucker out last year, but there's still no reason your other players should get worse from year to year

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's scheme AND piss poor coaching.

Walker bailed Tucker out last year, but there's still no reason your other players should get worse from year to year

Thorne took a major step back without Walker

Last edited:
Thorne tool a major step back without Walker

well, having a home run hitter RB definitely took some of the pressure off Thorne last year, but he still shouldn't have gone from where he was last year to "complete garbage" without Walker. To me That's coaching (or lack thereof.)

Thorne was clutch against us, for example. He made throws that won the game for you guys and put up good numbers most of the rest of the season

Last edited by a moderator:
Thorne tool a major step back without Walker

Agreed and I think losing Nailor is a bigger deal than a lot of people expected. Obviously not as big as losing Walker but having that second really good receiver also made things easier for him and/or made him look better. Maybe Coleman or Bernard will step up and Thorne will get to that comfort level.

Last edited:
I?ve seen people comparing this to JLS final season in 2006. I think that?s a bit premature. I was only a kid but it seems like when MSU season started sinking in 2006 everybody knew JLS was done and we were moving on. This is already a total failure of a season, but I?m not sure there?s any way we?d move on from Tucker at the end of the year. For that reason, maybe I?d say it?s more like 2005, where 2006 was the make or break year. 2023 will be the make or break year for Tucker. Doesn?t make me much less frustrated though in the here and now.

I?ve seen people comparing this to JLS final season in 2006. I think that?s a bit premature. I was only a kid but it seems like when MSU season started sinking in 2006 everybody knew JLS was done and we were moving on. This is already a total failure of a season, but I?m not sure there?s any way we?d move on from Tucker at the end of the year. For that reason, maybe I?d say it?s more like 2005, where 2006 was the make or break year. 2023 will be the make or break year for Tucker. Doesn?t make me much less frustrated though in the here and now.

Assuming this year is the disaster it's shaping up to be, what does he have to do in 2023? Seven wins? More? Seven wins doesn't sound like a lot for a $10mm/yr coach in his 4th season.

Assuming they all stay with their commitments, he has a great class coming in but they'll be Freshman - you can probably expect a couple to contribute out of the gate, but he'd have to have a nearly 100% hit rate for them to be impactful as a class. His prior recruiting classes have been kind of Dantonio-esque (nothing special) so the staff is going to have to develop these kids - something they haven't demonstrated any let alone great skill at.

Isn't it kind of a moot point though? His contract is so one-sided. I think we'd have to pay him something like $85.5mm if we fired him after this year, $76mm next year, then 66.5. We gave him a free put option - zero or next to nothing buyout and $95mm guaranteed. Unless he makes the playoff and gets hired away or someone gets compromising photos of him with farm animals, he's not going anywhere anytime soon. It's still too early to tell whether he'll be a success or a bust, but I hope the people who pushed that deal through are beginning to see what a disaster it could be.

Also, it could be I'm just more aware of MSU's situation but it seems like this is another year where we're being hit with an extraordinarily high injury rate - to some degree, that's just a function of the game but is there also an issue with strength & conditioning or are we just incredibly unlucky?

Edit: for the record, I'm not suggesting his job should be in jeopardy this year, even without the horrible contract situation. Even if this season is a complete disaster, I think that would be a mistake and am still hopeful he'll succeed. I?m just making the point that with his contract structured the way I understand it, getting rid of him anytime in the next 5 years would really hurt the program.

Edit 2: Of course if he?s not a good coach, he could do a lot of damage over the next 5 years.

Last edited:
Back