Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB 2020 Draft - Tigers Draft Spencer Torkelson #1 And sign him to $8.4 Million Bonus

https://motorcitybengals.com/2020/10/14/detroit-tigers-international-signing/
Detroit Tigers International Signing Preview.
MCBTB

The international signing period doesn?t officially begin until January 15th, but a new report from Baseball America gives us a better idea of who the Detroit Tigers are going to sign.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2020/1...christian-santana-abel-bastidas-2020-2021-ifa
Tigers expected to sign SS Christian Santana, other IFAs in January.
The list of international players expected to sign with Detroit has a few other interesting guys as well.
BYBTB

Mickey Tettleton knows a lot about plate discipline and power. A catcher/DH for four teams from 1984-1997, the sweet-swinging switch-hitter logged a 16.5% walk rate and banged out 245 home runs. His wRC+ over that 14-year period was a robust, and somewhat under the radar, 122.

A player that Tettleton tutored in the Cape Cod League possesses similar attributes, as well as a higher ceiling.

?I didn?t get a chance to work with him much, but I think Spencer Torkelson is going to be an absolute star,? Tettleton said of the first-overall pick in this summer?s draft. ?He was in Chatham for about two or three weeks before he went with Team USA, so I had a chance to kind of pick his brain a little bit.
He picked mine as well. More than anything, he?s a little bit? no, not a little bit; he?s a lot ahead of his time as far as what he?s trying to do in an at bat.
That kid has a chance to have a long, long career. He is legitimately a big-league hitter.?

I asked Tettleton if Torkelson ? already the consensus top hitting prospect in the Tigers system ? reminds him of anybody he played with.

?Power-wise, I?d have to go back to Dean Palmer,? responded Tettleton. ?I don?t know if you?ve been to Chatham, but you?d watch [Torkelson] take batting practice, and you?d think, ?Man, this is a fly ball,? and it would end up three quarters of the way up in the trees. He?s just got tremendous raw power.
He?s a very intelligent college hitter [Arizona State] that just happens to have a world of talent swinging the bat.?

The Palmer comp is even more eye-opening when you consider an opinion Tettleton had shared with me a few minutes earlier. When I suggested that Cecil Fielder must have had the most-impressive power among his former teammates, Tettleton said it actually wasn?t. It was Palmer.

Fangraphs

Last edited:
Torkelson really struggling this spring. 1 for 18 so far with 11 strikeouts. That's terrible.

Torkelson really struggling this spring. 1 for 18 so far with 11 strikeouts. That's terrible.

He didn't even get low level ball after being drafting. Maybe some patienceis required. I'm more worried about Mize.

Back