Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Move Decker

zyxt9

I get that Decker is a LT, but Sewell is better. We have seen Decker at his best, and that best is not equal to Sewell's performance vs Niners.

Sewell was not perfect, but with the extremely limited time practicing plus being the youngest ever LT, he freaking was damn good. We have seen Decker give up sacks plenty of times, Sewell did not against one of the best in the NFL in sacking the QB.

He was also the PFF #10 OT in run blocking.

Just leave him there and move Decker. Whether Decker becomes the RT or is moved to another team in a trade for their RT (or maybe a CB???) plus maybe a pick in the 2022 Draft, it should be clear that Sewell should be the Lions LT moving forward and Decker should be moved somewhere else.

Yes Decker is a good LT, but Sewell is HoF destined at LT.

Decker is a good top 10 LT though. Sewell did really well. He'll get a few more games to prove it too at LT. If Sewell is a better RT than Decker, than Decker at LT and Sewell at RT is the correct line up.

Never a bad thing to have 2 good tackles.

I'd keep Sewell on the right side this year. Let him get his feet wet....let him get a year in a pro training routine. He needs to get into a bit better shape to play the left side, IMO. I'd like to see him go against a premier speed rush DE to see how he handles that.

No doubt about it, though. Good signs from his first NFL action.

Also, I love the shot of him running down the field pumping his arms on the Swift TD. Guy loves to play. Good locker room guy, from what I read. Good to have those guys on your team.

Not sure how much trade value an injured LT on IR has. Im cool with waiting til he comes back....shows he can perform well to build his stock. Then move him to one of the many tackle needy teams at the trade deadline if you can fleece a team for a 1st rd pick for him. Decker is a good tackle with atleast 3 years left on his contract with a potential out in 2023. Imo you keep him unless a team is willing to overpay for him.

I do agree Sewell needs to play on the left side...looks like a completely different player and the top 10 pick we were hoping for last weekend.

so, the Lions finally have what appears to be a really good OL and they should trade away one of their starting tackles???

so, the Lions finally have what appears to be a really good OL and they should trade away one of their starting tackles???

Sewell is far more comfortable at LT, it is blatantly obvious. He is also better at playing LT than Decker.

Move Decker to RT, see how he does there. If he plays RT better than Sewell plays RT, it is a Win-Win.

During a rebuild is the time to shake things up and experiment. If neither is a solid enough RT, then go with the one who is younger, healthier, has a higher ceiling, and already plays better.

And if that means trading Decker because Decker cannot play RT, then trade him in order to get a true RT and you upgrade both LT and RT, and possibly get another pick next year on top of that.

Rebuild year
Play Sewell LT in 5 games Decker misses. 0-5 probably
Decker back at LT for 7 game and Sewell at RT to see what that is like. 2-10 record
Then final 5 try Sewell at LT and Decker at RT

Sewell 10 games at LT and 7 at RT, Decker 7 at LT and 5 at RT

Have some data points for 2022, 2023 to make a decision where you want both of them and the best combo

I say when Decker gets back, he goes right back to LT. His trade value is much higher at LT than RT. Sewell is the future LT. Trade Decker in the off-season for picks or a WR, Edge, Safety, Corner or any position really.

I say when Decker gets back, he goes right back to LT. His trade value is much higher at LT than RT. Sewell is the future LT. Trade Decker in the off-season for picks or a WR, Edge, Safety, Corner or any position really.

I do like that idea.....but why FINALLY have two good, bookend tackles and trade one away. That's just ANOTHER void we have to fill.

Move Decker when it comes time to pay Sewell. Until then, keep him.

Idk about Sewell being far better at LT. against the bears he looked like when he was playing RT. It?s too early to move Decker. Need to give it a year or so.

Is there a cost difference between a LT and RT and how much? LT on the high-end make more though I'm not sure how much more.. having two good T is nice but cost could come into play.

Is there a cost difference between a LT and RT and how much? LT on the high-end make more though I'm not sure how much more.. having two good T is nice but cost could come into play.

There is a cost difference. The thing is we have Sewell under contract for 5 years. In four years if he proves worth an extension Decker will be in his 30's and will need another deal as well. That is the time to move on if you want to, not right after he got an extension and the begginning of Sewell's rookie deal.

Top RT is $19.2M
Top LT is $23M

Decker @ $15M is 10th highest at LT. It is 7th highest on the list at RT.

IMO, not much of a difference.

FWIW...Sewell is the 20th highest paid RT on the list @ $6M

There is a cost difference. The thing is we have Sewell under contract for 5 years. In four years if he proves worth an extension Decker will be in his 30's and will need another deal as well. That is the time to move on if you want to, not right after he got an extension and the begginning of Sewell's rookie deal.

Yep. I just said this. Having 2 good T while one is cheap is EXACTLY how you do it in todays NFL. Just like WR.....you can pay one good money, but you better be drafting young guys who can step into his role.

It is one of the many ways the Lions have failed over the years.....not having youth with the talent to fill a high priced veterans role. Our young guys suck while our high priced FA don't produce.....leaving the worst of both worlds.

Just lost Ragnow to injured reserve.

So annoying. Can't assess or rebuild much of anything if all the good players are hurt. Week 8 eligible to return right before the bye. Turf toe injury

Not even a rebuild, just a lost season with all these injuries.

Ragnow is probably the best player on the roster. Rest up, he can take the rest of the season off for all I care.

Sewell has completely sucked at LT the last 2 games. Worst 2 graded games than Decker has ever had.

Sewell has completely sucked at LT the last 2 games. Worst 2 graded games than Decker has ever had.

Sewell bad ankle injury that he played on. He might miss this week now too

That explains the poor play against the Bears at least.

Lions have nobody left lol. Vaitai to LT or Will Holden lol

Back