Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

My 2021 Off-Season Moves

detroit1811

So not that it means much of anything, but here's what I would look to do entering the off-season to make steps to improving this team for this year and into the future. I know we will not be big spenders in free agency this year, and that's understandable considering the state of this team. With that said with the salary cap likely to be less then last year, and potentially a lot less, I think you will be able to sign guys to cheaper deals then a normal year. With that said making a small splash or two is definitely worth considering.

2021 Cap Cuts

So for the start of this, with numbers being all over the place, I am setting the cap in this hypothetical scenario at 190 million. In that scenario that puts us at about 4 million in cap space where things stand today

Cut Justin Coleman (save 5mil)
Cut Danny Shelton (save 4mil)
Cut Nick Williams (save 4.7mil)
Cut Desmond Trufant (save 6.2mil)
Cut Joe Dahl (save2.9mil)
Cut Jesse James (save 2.2mil)
Cut Chase Daniels (2.3mil)
Cut Christian Jones (save 2.6mil)

Trade Trey Flowers (we save 3.2mil) and Jamie Collins (we save 6.7mil) to Miami for a 2nd rounder this year. Brian Flores coached both in New England and they have big needs at pass rusher and ILB this year. They have two 1st's and two 2nd's, plus could even trade down from #3 to get more picks. They could easily part with a 2nd. They get good veteran players who are still in their prime. They have the cap space to take it on and they need to push themselves over the top to get into the playoffs as they were close last year. Their deals are actually reasonable for Miami with us taking on the dead money from the signing bonus.

All that would save us about 40mil against the cap and give us 44mil in cap space going into free agency.

Re-Signings

Franchise Golladay (16mil)
Romeo Okwara (3 years 27mil, year one cap hit 5mil)
Jamal Agnew (2 years 6mil, year one cap hit 2.5mil)
Jarad Davis (1 year 2.5mil)
Don Mulbach (1 year 1 mil)

That would take up 27mil in cap space leaving us with 18mil. You can either flip Golladay for a day 2 pick to a team like the Giants, or try to re-sign him long term and lower that cap hit. In this scenario we trade him because we are building for the future and don't wanna tie up that much cap space on a WR that will be 30 by the time we are ready to compete.

Flip Golladay to the Giants for a future (2022) 2nd rounder and a 4th this year . The Giants are desperate for a big bodied WR for Daniel Jones, and they tried trading for Golladay last year at the deadline, so you know they really like him. I really don't think it is that far out there. That give us back the 16mil against the cap and we are sitting at 33mil.

Free Agent Signings

Trey Hendrickson (4 years 40mil 1st year cap hit 6mil)
Desmond King III (1 year 4mil)
Malik Hooker (1 year 2mil)
Keelan Cole (2 years 10mil cap hit 3.5mil year one)
Rashad Higgins (3 years 18mil cap hit 4mil year one)
Haasan Reddick (1 year 5.5mil)

Dan Campbell knows Hendrickson from his time in New Orleans so he would be very familiar with him. He was a little slow to develop, but played well in 2019 as a rotational piece. He got the full time job this year and broke out. I think there is gonna be value in that because he won't command top dollar, but if he continues to develop we would have a pretty damn good player. Desmond King put a lot of good tape out there early in his career, but he's been on a tail spin for a couple years now. He was one of the best nickel corner in the NFL at one point and is still very young. Hooker has been killed by injuries his entire career, but when he plays he plays well. He is gonna go somewhere where he can start and rehab his value. I think he's worth a shot, low risk high reward. Keelan Cole was constantly overlooked in Jacksonville, but always seemed to make plays when he was out there. He would make for a great #3, IMO and if it works out here could stick around after thee re-build. Higgins is a guy in Cleveland who was constantly overlooked. He is not flashy by any means, but he is very reliable. We have to put something on the field at WR and him and Cole with Cephus is at least a starting point heading into the draft. Hasaan Reddick is another guy with potential. He was a horrible players for most of his time in Arizona, but something flipped in the 2nd half of this season and he turned it around. Now those guys can be sketchy, but if he is willing to sign a 1 year deal to prove his value he is another one who could become a part of the future if has success.

This leaves us with 8mil in cap space heading into the draft.

2021 NFL Draft

#7 ***TRADE*** New England needs a QB and they are going to be desperate. They leapfrog Carolina and Denver to go get their guy and give up a 15, 46, and a 3rd in 2022

#15 Micah Parsons, OLB -- We need a game changing LB'er and Parson can be just that. I also like Penn States history of churning out really good LB'ers. I know this might be a little bit of a reach, but with 5 QB's potentially going before here, 3 WR's and Kyle Pitts, that is gonna push a lot of talent down the board.

#33 Kadarius Toney, WR -- We need a playmaker at WR. This guy might slip to the top of the 2nd, and he would add an element to this offense that we currently lack. This is from Daniel Jerimiah

Toney is a versatile, explosive playmaker. He lines up in the slot and does a lot of damage on fly sweeps and seam routes. His combination of play strength, burst and wiggle makes him difficult to get on the ground once the ball is in his hands. He doesn't run a wide variety of routes, but he has the skill set to develop in that area. He's dangerous in the return game because of his athleticism and lack of fear. Overall, Toney isn't quite as big as Deebo Samuel, but I envision him playing the same role at the next level.

#34 ***TRADE*** Nick Bolton, ILB -- We need LB'ers on this team. I know back-to-back trades in unlikely, but hey this is hypothetical. I really love what I see from Bolton. Adding him and Parsons can go a long way in turning this defense around. From Daniel Jerimiah below

Bolton is a slightly undersized linebacker with excellent speed and explosiveness. He has the lateral quicks to avoid blocks, fill and chest up running backs. He has stopping power as a tackler. He improved his take-on skills as the 2020 season progressed. He has big-time lateral range because of his burst/speed. He needs to improve as a zone dropper in coverage, though. He is late to anticipate and fill throwing windows. He's much more instinctive in the run game. However, he does have the athleticism to match up and mirror tight ends. He is a dynamic blitzer. Overall, I love Bolton's speed and energy, but he does need to improve in zone coverage. If he polishes that aspect of his game, he could emerge as a top-tier starter at the next level.

#41 ***TRADE*** to Jacksonville for #33

#46 ***TRADE*** to Jets for #34

#50 Daviyon Nixon, DT-- I'll be the first to admit, I don't know a whole lot about the incoming 2021 class. I start to dive into it a little more around this time, but this is a guy who I see keeps popping up. We can really use some interior help and the DT class is a weak class. Nixon seems like a guy with a lot of upside who can be that pass rushing presence on the inside for us.

#72 Paris Ford, S -- Most teams use three safety packages quite a bit. We also need some playmakers in the back end. Here is a quick write up I found on him.

Ford has proven he can work as a deep safety and in multiple coverage schemes. His new 2020 tape that proves he can work better in these zones with his athleticism and ball skills is a huge part of why his stock has improved. He is no longer just viewed as a box safety that can come downhill and make big tackles. On the contrary, Ford has shown he is capable in that role, in the slot, and as a deep safety in both Cover 1 and Cover 2 schemes. That versatility will be viewed as a huge plus among NFL teams.

#88 Deonte Brown, OG -- We need some interior help and I'd rather get another young guy in the mix. This guy is massive at 6'4" 350. Even with that size he still has some good mobility, and profiles to excel in a power run scheme. Obviously we are gonna want to run the ball and Swift running behind him Ragnow and Decker on off the left side could be a solid start. This is from the draft network

Starting in 24 of 46 career games, Brown possesses a beefy and wide-bodied frame with a well above average amount of strength at the point of attack. Physically, he is an effective run blocker with lots of attractive skills. Aggressive in the running game, he shows high strength levels and awareness. In Alabama?s downhill run scheme, he?s allowed to stay on track and road grade any target that?s directly in front of him. Easily able to move defenders and dislodging them out of gaps, he?s best suited in a man/power-based blocking scheme. As a pass protector, he?s comfortable with playing within his parameters and is effective in slide or man protections. When in single block situations, he has the foot quickness in order to match and mirror the movements of interior defenders. Having an anchor that?s nearly impossible to knock over, his wide frame also enables him to engulf and cover up rushers. Brown is able to negate interior pressure effectively.

#102 ***TRADE*** to Jets

#106 ***TRADE*** to Jacksonville

Its way too early for me to early for me to go into more detail then this. Fill out the draft and UDFA with maybe some more depth at WR, and CB, and maybe even think about grabbing a kicker.

2021 NFL Depth Chart

Offense

QB - Jared Goff, David Blough

RB - DeAndre Swift, Kerryon Johnson

FB - Nick Bawden

WR - Kadarius Toney, Rashad Higgins, Keelan Cole, Quintez Cephus, Jamal Agnew

TE T.J. Hockenson, Hunter Bryant

LT - Taylor Decker, Tyrell Crosby

LG - Deonte Brown, Logan Stenburg

C - Frank Ragnow

RG - Jonah Jackson

RT - Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Matt Nelson

Defense

DE - Trey Hendrickson, Romeo Okwara, Julian Okwara, Austin Bryant

DT - Dashawn Hand, Daviyon Nixon, John Penisini, Jashon Cornell

OLB - Hasaan Reddick, Micah Parsons

ILB - Nick Bolton, Jarad Davis, Jahlani Tavai

CB - Jeff Okudah, Amani Oruwariye, Desmond King,

S - Tracy Walker, Malik Hooker, Paris Ford, Will Harris, C.J. Moore

Special Teams

K - Draft Pick/UDFA

P - Jack Fox

LS Don Mulbach

KR - Jamal Agnew

PR - Jamal Agnew

Obviously there is more pieces needed to fill out the roster. Those pieces can be had off waivers/UDFA/FA's. We could potentially need a little more cap space to fill out the roster and sign draft picks as I had 8mil left after Free Agency. If need you can restructure someone. Convert some of Goff's base salary to a bonus if needed and spread if out over future years. Obviously that's not ideal because if we do cut him down the lineit leaves more money behind, but we can if needed.

Honestly I don't think this would be a horrible roster. Obviously this isn't a playoff roster by any means, but there is a lot of youth and upside and we would be going into the 2022 draft with 2 picks in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds.

very detailed and thorough plan...must have taken you a long time and alot of reseach! Nice work.

Our job is to shit all over it lol. So to begin ill just say much of this plan is predicated on a package of flowers and Collins to Miami....something that would never happen:D

Theres also no way anyone gets Hassan Reddick under 10 mil a year.

But all in all, if half this stuff happens we'd be in a good spot. Nice draft addressing needs...something we never do. FA i do think theres some young WR talent that you can get a solid #2 or #3 guy for cheap. John Ross coming off an injury is another name id throw in the pot.

Good stuff 1811!

I doubt Parsons will be there at #15, sorry.

I understand that. I think with a little bit of off field baggage and him not playing since 2019 could drop him a bit, especially with all that offensive talent at the top of the board.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nf...0-jets-start-new-era-at-qb-with-justin-fields

Bucky Brooks actually has him going 15 just to Patriots. I realize 75% have him gone before then, but it?s early so until we get closer to the draft and all this starts to clear up a little more I?d say it?s a possibility

I understand that. I think with a little bit of off field baggage and him not playing since 2019 could drop him a bit, especially with all that offensive talent at the top of the board.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nf...0-jets-start-new-era-at-qb-with-justin-fields

Bucky Brooks actually has him going 15 just to Patriots. I realize 75% have him gone before then, but it?s early so until we get closer to the draft and all this starts to clear up a little more I?d say it?s a possibility

Fair enough. There are always players that are "surprise drops" in the Draft simply because the teams that picked before had more pressing needs to fill.

My plan. Rams get busted for tampering and the deal is called off. Trade Stafford to Carolina for #8 and a 3rd.

Rd 1 Lance QB
Trade 8 for a 1st and 2nd
Rd 1 Zaven Collins LB
Rd 2 Marshall WR
Rd 2 Basham DE
Rd 3 Cisco S
Rd 3 Brown G
Rd 4 Eskridge WR
Rd 5 Robinson RB

Flowers Shelton Basham (2nd)
Okwara (FA) Collins (1st) Collins Reddick (FA)
Okudah Cisco (3rd) Walker Amani

Decker Brown (3rd) Ragnow Jackson Crosby
Marshall (2nd) Higgins (FA) Hock Eskridge (4th)
Lance Swift

very detailed and thorough plan...must have taken you a long time and alot of reseach! Nice work.

Our job is to shit all over it lol. So to begin ill just say much of this plan is predicated on a package of flowers and Collins to Miami....something that would never happen:D

Theres also no way anyone gets Hassan Reddick under 10 mil a year.

But all in all, if half this stuff happens we'd be in a good spot. Nice draft addressing needs...something we never do. FA i do think theres some young WR talent that you can get a solid #2 or #3 guy for cheap. John Ross coming off an injury is another name id throw in the pot.

Good stuff 1811!

That?s definitely possible of Reddick but considering over 25% of his career 19 sacks came In one game, and 7.5 of his 19 career sacks came in the last four games before he became a free agent he might not get that much. His best bet is to bet on himself on a one year deal and show he?s finally turned a corner. Now maybe he gets 10mil on a one year deal from someone, but a lot of teams are cash strapped this year. I think there won?t be as much spending but that?s just a guess.

Just curious why you think that is so far fetched from Miami? They are getting two really good players that has had a lot of success in the defense they run. Flores went after Flowers the year he was a FA if I remember correctly and with us stuck with all the signing bonus money there base salaries aren?t that bad. As a team with a solid foundation they are the type of team that can make this type of move. Combined with the fact they have two first rounders and two second rounders they can afford giving up their later 2nd. Not saying it?s going to happen by any means but just wondering why you think it?s so far fetched?

That?s definitely possible of Reddick but considering over 25% of his career 19 sacks came In one game, and 7.5 of his 19 career sacks came in the last four games before he became a free agent he might not get that much. His best bet is to bet on himself on a one year deal and show he?s finally turned a corner. Now maybe he gets 10mil on a one year deal from someone, but a lot of teams are cash strapped this year. I think there won?t be as much spending but that?s just a guess.

Just curious why you think that is so far fetched from Miami? They are getting two really good players that has had a lot of success in the defense they run. Flores went after Flowers the year he was a FA if I remember correctly and with us stuck with all the signing bonus money there base salaries aren?t that bad. As a team with a solid foundation they are the type of team that can make this type of move. Combined with the fact they have two first rounders and two second rounders they can afford giving up their later 2nd. Not saying it?s going to happen by any means but just wondering why you think it?s so far fetched?

They have $25mil in cap space...so its possible. We just rarely see 2 guys packaged like that in a trade in the NFL. Miami has been sellers as of late in order to rebuild...like the Tunsil trade. If they were to begin "buying" i just think itd be to surround Tua and get them to the point where they can say hes our guy...or not.

If anyone was going to get trade to MIA i think it'd be a tag n trade with Golladay.

They have $25mil in cap space...so its possible. We just rarely see 2 guys packaged like that in a trade in the NFL. Miami has been sellers as of late in order to rebuild...like the Tunsil trade. If they were to begin "buying" i just think itd be to surround Tua and get them to the point where they can say hes our guy...or not.

If anyone was going to get trade to MIA i think it'd be a tag n trade with Golladay.

I agree with most of that. I think they are past the selling stage for sure though. They showed last year they are ready to compete for the playoffs now. They need to surround Tua with players to give him the best chance to succeed. With that said they still have a couple big holes on defense and in doing a little research they really need help at ILB and Edge rusher. That just happens to match Collins and Flowers and the fact they played for Flores is a plus. That frees them up to either trade down and grab an OT or WR, or stand pat and take Sewell and grab a receiver with their 2nd first.

I do agree it is rare for teams to package players like that in trades, and obviously the likelihood of it actually happening is extremely slim. I just thought the trade matches up extremely well for both teams and seemed to be a good fit.

We seem to have defensive coaches that thrive in a 3-4. What is our personal of our current front 7 in regardless to that? I know we had a hybrid this past year but a big ass NT is essential.

We seem to have defensive coaches that thrive in a 3-4. What is our personal of our current front 7 in regardless to that? I know we had a hybrid this past year but a big ass NT is essential.

John Penisini is a big space eater. I know PFF was very high on his run stuffing abilities, and maybe he plays better in year two. Danny Shelton is another guy who we could look into keeping if thats the case. I do think the 3-4 defense has evolved over the years and a big run stuffing NT is no longer a prerequisite.

Our personnel suits it well. Except they were terrible and we're losing a lot of the good ones in FA since we have no money to resign Okwara and/or Griffen now. Davis we probably dont want to resign. So as of right now it looks like:

Flowers Shelton Hand
Bryant Collins Tavaii Jones

aka...really bad and assuming Hand and Bryant dont have a paper cut that keeps them both out half the year.

I?m bored and have some free time so I re-did my initial post a little.

2021 Cap Cuts

So for the start of this, with numbers being all over the place, I am setting the cap in this hypothetical scenario at 190 million. In that scenario that puts us at about 4 million in cap space where things stand today. With everything I?ve read I think it will settle in right around there.

Cut Justin Coleman save 5mil)
Cut Danny Shelton (save 4mil)
Cut Nick Williams (save 4.7mil)
Cut Desmond Trufant (save 6.2mil)
Cut Joe Dahl (save 2.9mil)
Cut Jesse James (Designate Post June 1st, save 5mil)
Cut Chase Daniels (2.3mil)
Cut Christian Jones (save 2.6mil)

All that would save us about 33mil against the cap and give us 32mil in cap space going into free agency. Another 5mil in cap space would be available after June 1st (From James). There isn?t a player on that list that is playing up to their contract outside of maybe Shelton and Dahl. I honestly don?t see much upside with Shelton, and I think going with Penisini wouldn?t be much of a dropoff, if any. I do like Dahl, but he is very mediocre. He is nice depth, but with the cap space we have he is expendable, IMO. The rest are as good as gone as they don?t figure into the future of this team.

Re-Signings

Franchise Golladay (16mil on tag, Re-sign long-term)
Romeo Okwara (3 years 30mil, year one cap hit 5mil)
Jarad Davis (1 year 3mil)
Don Mulbach (1 year 1 mil)

That would take up 25mil in cap space leaving us with 7mil. I really think the Lions need to be aggressive in re-signing Golladay. I was on the fence at first, but you just can?t let him walk. He is only 27 and doesn?t have a lot of wear and tear. It is very reasonable to expect high end production over the life of a 4-5 year deal. That means he will last through the rebuild, even if it takes us until 2023 to be a good team again (I think we can be by 2022). I think Golladay is worth more to us then a comp 3rd, or a 3rd through a tag and trade. So with that said offer him a 4 year deal worth 72mil. Structure it so we only have a 8mil cap hit in year one. Guarantee his salary in 2021 and 2022 and maybe add in a guaranteed roster bonus in year 2. Push as much of the guaranteed money up front that you can, that way if injuries or lack of production are issues you have a realistic out after the first couple years.

As far as Okwara, I think having his brother is going to be a big plus. If you watch the video of when we drafted Julian, those two were stoked to be together. Aaron Glenn made reference to hopefully bringing him back so you know the Lions have interest. I think it gets worked out. I hope we re-sign Davis and he is going to be one of the most interesting players to watch if we do.

I?ve been mostly against restructuring any player on this roster. I personally think it is not a very wise move, but I think if we did a smaller restructure it wouldn?t be so bad. I think a restructure pretty much guarantees he will be on the roster in 2022. Take 16mil of his base salary and convert it to a bonus thus clearing 12mil in cap space in 2022, Going into free agency we would be looking at 19mil. Cutting Goff would cost 8mil in dead cap in 2023, which is manageable, but not ideal.

Free Agent Signings

Trey Hendrickson (4 years 40mil 1st year cap hit 6mil)
Desmond King III (1 year 4mil)
Malik Hooker (1 year 2mil) (After Kenny is re-signed)
John Ross (1 year 3mil) (After Kenny is re-signed)
Alex Anzalone (1 year 2mil)
Larry Ogunjobi (2 years 8mil 4mil cap hit year one)
Jamaal Williams (2 years 6mil cap hit 2mil year one)

Dan Campbell knows Hendrickson from his time in New Orleans so he would be very familiar with him. He was a little slow to develop, but played well in 2019 as a rotational piece. He got the full time job this year and broke out. I think there is gonna be value in that because he won?t command top dollar, but if he continues to develop we would have a pretty damn good player. Desmond King put a lot of good tape out there early in his career, but he?s been on a tail spin for a couple years now. He was one of the best nickel corner in the NFL at one point and is still very young. Hooker has been killed by injuries his entire career, but when he plays he plays well. He is gonna go somewhere where he can start and rehab his value. I think he?s worth a shot, low risk high reward. John Ross is another low risk high reward signing. He has had a few moments in Cincy, but injuries and inconsistency has derailed his career. Still he would make for a nice #3/#4 with upside. Jamaal Williams is my favorite low tier RB in free agency. He runs very hard and has been a nice compliment to Aaron Jones. Larry Ogunjobi was drafted by John Dorsey and had a couple nice season rushing the passer. He is a little inconsistent, and failed to take the next step, but would be a nice upside signing who can give us some pass rush juice on the interior. Anzalone has had some bad injury luck, but when he is in there he has been a decent contributor. Would be a nice back-up with some potential.

This leaves us with 4mil in cap space heading into the draft, but re-signing Golladay long term, and after June 1st will give us a bit more breathing room (12mil in total). That should be enough for the draft class and a couple other minimum priced guys.

2021 NFL Draft

#7 TRADE New England needs a QB and they are going to be desperate. They leapfrog Carolina and Denver to go get their guy and give up a 15, 46, and a 3rd in 2022

#15 Jaylen Waddle, WR - There isn?t a whole lot of teams in need of a WR in the top half of the draft. Miami, Philly, the Giants, Patriots could definitely use one, but I bet at least one of those teams fill that need in free agency. Throw in the Patriots trading up for a QB and there is probably only 2-3 teams that have a serious need there. You have 4 legitimate studs, IMO, Chase, Smith, Waddle, and Pitts. Waddle is a true game breaker at WR and would compliment the guys we already have. I think he would add an element this offense currently lacks and give Goff a real shot at putting up a good year.

#34 TRADE Nick Bolton, ILB ? We need another LB?er on this team. I really love what I see from Bolton. Adding him can go a long way in turning this defense around. From Daniel Jerimiah below

Bolton is a slightly undersized linebacker with excellent speed and explosiveness. He has the lateral quicks to avoid blocks, fill and chest up running backs. He has stopping power as a tackler. He improved his take-on skills as the 2020 season progressed. He has big-time lateral range because of his burst/speed. He needs to improve as a zone dropper in coverage, though. He is late to anticipate and fill throwing windows. He?s much more instinctive in the run game. However, he does have the athleticism to match up and mirror tight ends. He is a dynamic blitzer. Overall, I love Bolton?s speed and energy, but he does need to improve in zone coverage. If he polishes that aspect of his game, he could emerge as a top-tier starter at the next level.

#41 Daviyon Nixon, DT-- I?ll be the first to admit, I don?t know a whole lot about the incoming 2021 class. I start to dive into it a little more around this time, but this is a guy who I see keeps popping up. We can really use some interior help and the DT class is a weak class. Nixon seems like a guy with a lot of upside who can be that pass rushing presence on the inside for us.

#46 TRADE to Jets for #34 giving up #46 and the 3rd from NE in 2022

#72 Paris Ford, S ? Most teams use three safety packages quite a bit. We also need some playmakers in the back end. Here is a quick write up I found on him.

Ford has proven he can work as a deep safety and in multiple coverage schemes. His new 2020 tape that proves he can work better in these zones with his athleticism and ball skills is a huge part of why his stock has improved. He is no longer just viewed as a box safety that can come downhill and make big tackles. On the contrary, Ford has shown he is capable in that role, in the slot, and as a deep safety in both Cover 1 and Cover 2 schemes. That versatility will be viewed as a huge plus among NFL teams.

#88 Deonte Brown, OG ? We need some interior help and I?d rather get another young guy in the mix. This guy is massive at 6?4" 350. Even with that size he still has some good mobility, and profiles to excel in a power run scheme. Obviously we are gonna want to run the ball and Swift running behind him Ragnow and Decker on off the left side could be a solid start. This is from the draft network

Starting in 24 of 46 career games, Brown possesses a beefy and wide-bodied frame with a well above average amount of strength at the point of attack. Physically, he is an effective run blocker with lots of attractive skills. Aggressive in the running game, he shows high strength levels and awareness. In Alabama?s downhill run scheme, he?s allowed to stay on track and road grade any target that?s directly in front of him. Easily able to move defenders and dislodging them out of gaps, he?s best suited in a man/power-based blocking scheme. As a pass protector, he?s comfortable with playing within his parameters and is effective in slide or man protections. When in single block situations, he has the foot quickness in order to match and mirror the movements of interior defenders. Having an anchor that?s nearly impossible to knock over, his wide frame also enables him to engulf and cover up rushers. Brown is able to negate interior pressure effectively.

Its way too early for me to early for me to go into more detail then this. Fill out the draft and UDFA with maybe some more depth at LB?er, RB, and CB, and maybe even think about grabbing a kicker.

2021 NFL Depth Chart

Offense

QB - Jared Goff, David Blough

RB - DeAndre Swift, Jamaal Williams, Kerryon Johnson, Rookie

FB - Nick Bawden

WR - Kenny Golladay, Jaylen Waddle, Quintez Cephus, John Ross

TE T.J. Hockenson, Hunter Bryant

LT - Taylor Decker, Tyrell Crosby

LG - Deonte Brown, Logan Stenburg

C - Frank Ragnow

RG - Jonah Jackson

RT - Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Matt Nelson

Defense

DE - Trey Flowers, Trey Hendrickson, Romeo Okwara, Julian Okwara, Austin Bryant

DT - Dashawn Hand, Daviyon Nixon, Larry Ogunjobi, John Penisini, Jashon Cornell

OLB - Jarad Davis, Jamie Collins, Alex Anzalone

ILB - Nick Bolton, Jahlani Tavai

CB - Jeff Okudah, Amani Oruwariye, Desmond King, Rookie

S - Tracy Walker, Malik Hooker, Paris Ford, Will Harris, C.J. Moore

Special Teams

K - Draft Pick/UDFA

P - Jack Fox

LS Don Mulbach

KR - Jaylen Waddle
PR - Jaylen Waddle

Obviously there is more pieces needed to fill out the roster. Those pieces can be had off waivers/UDFA/FA?s. We could potentially need a little more cap space to fill out the roster and sign draft picks as I had 12mil left after Free Agency, but that is probably enough.

This would set the team up to really focus on the defense in 2022, and evaluate the guys we currently have. We could have a few diamonds in the rough with as bad as this defense has been run with Patricia. There would be plenty of draft picks and cap space in 2022 to field an above average defense if they can hit on these draft picks. With that I think we would compete for a wild card, and potentially even the division with Minnesota and Chicago on the downswing and hopefully a declining Aaron Rodgers (one can hope).

Ill go with a Golladay Tag n Trade so we can fit Okwara resigning in. Ill also go no trades in my mock although i think it would be best to move down. Not to sure its realisitic now that i think the top 4 Qbs are all gone before pick 7 now.

Defense:
Flowers Shelton Griffen (FA)
Okwara (FA) Collins Parsons (1st) Reddick (FA)

Offense:
Decker Jackson Ragnow Crosby Eichenberg (3rd)
Marshall (2nd) Hock Eskridge (3rd) Higgins (FA)
Goff Swift
RB2 Sermon (4th)

FA:
Griffen 1 year 5 mil
Okwara 2 years 20mil
Reddick 3 years 30mil
Higgins 2 Years 16mil

Ill go with a Golladay Tag n Trade so we can fit Okwara resigning in. Ill also go no trades in my mock although i think it would be best to move down. Not to sure its realisitic now that i think the top 4 Qbs are all gone before pick 7 now.

Defense:

Offense:
Goff Swift
RB2 Sermon (4th)

FA:
Griffen 1 year 5 mil
Okwara 2 years 20mil
Reddick 3 years 30mil
Higgins 2 Years 16mil

Some say the Fields guy is dropping. Not sure I want him anyways with him being an OSU QB.

Same cuts, 32 million in cap space

Sign Allen Robinson or Godwin. 10 million year 1 cap hit (4 years at 18 per)
Sign safety John Johnson 8.3 per for 4 years. 6 million year 1 cap hit
Mulhbach. Vet min Deduction. No loss in cap space
RB Malcolm Brown 1 year 2 million
WR Breshad Perriman 3 years 27 million. 5 million cap hit in 2021
Resign Prater 2 year 6 million 2 million cap hit 2021
Resign Jalen Reeves Mabin 1 year 1 million

Down to 9 million. Need about 6 million for draft. 3 million left

Restructure Flowers if you need more space

Draft
Trade down picking up extra 2nd and 5th
1st round LB Jeremiah Owusu Kormoa. 3 down Coverage LB (see White and David for Tampa)
2nd round Pass rushing DT Levi Onwuzurike
Additional 2nd rounder NT Tommy Togiai
3rd round Patrick Jones EDGE DE
3rd round Dayo Odenigbo EDGE DE/rush LB
4th Round Demetric Felton Slot/RB option (very poor Curtis Samuel)
5th round Safety Reed Blankenship
5th round QB Davis Mills

Goff, Blough,Mills
Swift, Malcom Brown, Kerryon, Bawden
Allen Robinson, Perriman, Felton, Cephus, Allison or UDFA
Hock, Bryant, Alize Mack
Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Vaitai, Crosby (Guard Stenberg, UDFA tackle/Skipper, UDFA center or Bodine, Matt Nelson)
Prater, Fox, Mulhbach

Flowers, Hand/rookie 2nd Onzurike, rookie 2nd NT Togia/Penisini/Atkins, other DE J Owkara/Bryant/rookie 3rd Patrick Jones/rookie 4th Odenigbo

Round 1 Owusu Kormoa Will, Collins ILB, J OKwara rushing SAM. Tavai and JRM and Shaun Dion-Hamilton the backups. Tavai SAM for run downs. JRM backup Will

Okudah, AO, vet min vet CB, Mike Ford RFA, UDFA CB

John Johnson, Tracy Walker, Will Harris, rookie Reed Blankenship, CJ Moore/Jalen Elliot

Still holes at CB3/4, 3rd safety, possibly SAM LB, long term power back RB. Youth at DE/DT from day 2

Defense:

Offense:
Goff Swift
RB2 Sermon (4th)

FA:
Griffen 1 year 5 mil
Okwara 2 years 20mil
Reddick 3 years 30mil
Higgins 2 Years 16mil

We can fit both Okwara and Golladay in, but the key is getting Golladay signed long-term to free up space to sign the draft picks.

Either way I am obviously a big Parsons fan and I think Eskridge would be a very nice pick. I'm not sold on Marshall, but as a 2nd rounder I think he would have some nice upside, but I think he is very boom or bust.

Two thing I would definitely disagree with is Higgins getting 8mil a year, and I don't see us even attempting to re-sign Griffen. Higgins has been a solid contributor and would make for a nice signing, but with the cap dropping and the WR market being loaded in the draft and FA the mid tier guys are going to have to settle. I would guess he checks in around 4-5mil a year, but I could be wrong. As far as Griffen he doesn't fit the bill being an aging vet that this front office is looking for. Plus with Flowers, Reddick, and Okwara on the edge with Julian Okwara as the unknown is probably good heading into the season, IMO.

Overall I would be okay if it panned out like that. We would still be looking good on cap room in 2022 and would've made serious effort to upgrade the front seven.

Same cuts, 32 million in cap space

Sign Allen Robinson or Godwin. 10 million year 1 cap hit (4 years at 18 per)
Sign safety John Johnson 8.3 per for 4 years. 6 million year 1 cap hit
Mulhbach. Vet min Deduction. No loss in cap space
RB Malcolm Brown 1 year 2 million
WR Breshad Perriman 3 years 27 million. 5 million cap hit in 2021
Resign Prater 2 year 6 million 2 million cap hit 2021
Resign Jalen Reeves Mabin 1 year 1 million

Down to 9 million. Need about 6 million for draft. 3 million left

Restructure Flowers if you need more space

Draft
Trade down picking up extra 2nd and 5th
1st round LB Jeremiah Owusu Kormoa. 3 down Coverage LB (see White and David for Tampa)
2nd round Pass rushing DT Levi Onwuzurike
Additional 2nd rounder NT Tommy Togiai
3rd round Patrick Jones EDGE DE
3rd round Dayo Odenigbo EDGE DE/rush LB
4th Round Demetric Felton Slot/RB option (very poor Curtis Samuel)
5th round Safety Reed Blankenship
5th round QB Davis Mills

Goff, Blough,Mills
Swift, Malcom Brown, Kerryon, Bawden
Allen Robinson, Perriman, Felton, Cephus, Allison or UDFA
Hock, Bryant, Alize Mack
Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Vaitai, Crosby (Guard Stenberg, UDFA tackle/Skipper, UDFA center or Bodine, Matt Nelson)
Prater, Fox, Mulhbach

Flowers, Hand/rookie 2nd Onzurike, rookie 2nd NT Togia/Penisini/Atkins, other DE J Owkara/Bryant/rookie 3rd Patrick Jones/rookie 4th Odenigbo

Round 1 Owusu Kormoa Will, Collins ILB, J OKwara rushing SAM. Tavai and JRM and Shaun Dion-Hamilton the backups. Tavai SAM for run downs. JRM backup Will

Okudah, AO, vet min vet CB, Mike Ford RFA, UDFA CB

John Johnson, Tracy Walker, Will Harris, rookie Reed Blankenship, CJ Moore/Jalen Elliot

Still holes at CB3/4, 3rd safety, possibly SAM LB, long term power back RB. Youth at DE/DT from day 2

Godwin is 100% staying a buc. Robinson has a chance of hitting the market, and grew up in Michigan so maybe there is a chance, but you are probably looking at closer to 22mil a year then 18mil, IMO. Don't know enough about the rookie class to say too much, but the more I hear about Jeremiah Owusu Kormoa, the more I like him if we trade down into the late teens, early twenties.

Back