Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

My 2021 Off-Season Moves

Godwin is 100% staying a buc. Robinson has a chance of hitting the market, and grew up in Michigan so maybe there is a chance, but you are probably looking at closer to 22mil a year then 18mil, IMO. Don't know enough about the rookie class to say too much, but the more I hear about Jeremiah Owusu Kormoa, the more I like him if we trade down into the late teens, early twenties.

Agree Allen Robinson is more likely. And Owusu Kormoa rising early so far. Pro days are bigger this year with no combine. This would have been combine week. But sounds like Golladay is their guy. Hope they can do a long term deal instead of just a franchise tag.

Also we lost about 2.5 million in cap space with performance escalators on playing time for Tracy Walker and Tyrell Crosby. Their cap hits both move from 1.5 million to 2.5 million each.

Godwin is 100% staying a buc. Robinson has a chance of hitting the market, and grew up in Michigan so maybe there is a chance, but you are probably looking at closer to 22mil a year then 18mil, IMO. Don't know enough about the rookie class to say too much, but the more I hear about Jeremiah Owusu Kormoa, the more I like him if we trade down into the late teens, early twenties.

You sure that Godwin is staying a Buc? I think they would be better off letting him go and re-signing Barrett, David & Suh. If they sign Godwin they will probably lose one or two of those guys. Godwin is a luxury.

840 yards and 7 TDs in 12 games for Godwin. Never been just him really too as the main guy. Big 2019 though with 1333 yards and 9 TDs

How would you all rank Godwin, Robinson and Golladay and Schuster

840 yards and 7 TDs in 12 games for Godwin. Never been just him really too as the main guy. Big 2019 though with 1333 yards and 9 TDs

How would you all rank Godwin, Robinson and Golladay and Schuster

1 Robinson
2 Godwin
3 Golladay
4 Schuster (because I think he's a head case)

You sure that Godwin is staying a Buc? I think they would be better off letting him go and re-signing Barrett, David & Suh. If they sign Godwin they will probably lose one or two of those guys. Godwin is a luxury.

Imo, most wideouts are a luxury.

Bucs have around 28 million in space. That can get you Godwin, David and Barrett back on long term deals. Cap number wouldn't have to be huge in 2021 for any of them. They tag one for sure.

Gronk, Suh, Succup and Fournette are probably lesser priorities for them

Flowers got 18 per from the Lions with a 6.4 cap hit in 2019. Ways to do it

Last edited:
Bucs have around 28 million in space. That can get you Godwin, David and Barrett back on long term deals. Cap number wouldn't have to be huge in 2021 for any of them. They tag one for sure.

Gronk, Suh, Succup and Fournette are probably lesser priorities for them

Flowers got 18 per from the Lions with a 6.4 cap hit in 2019. Ways to do it

They used the tag on Barrett last year, so it is highly unlikely that they use it on him again. IMO, he should be their #1 priority. He is a difference maker on their team, Godwin is not.

If they want to keep Godwin, they may need to tag him. He is on his rookie deal, so he is most likely to be the player that chases money.

Godwin is the easiest to replace. They really don't need him to be successful. They need the two defensive players

They used the tag on Barrett last year, so it is highly unlikely that they use it on him again. IMO, he should be their #1 priority. He is a difference maker on their team, Godwin is not.

If they want to keep Godwin, they may need to tag him. He is on his rookie deal, so he is most likely to be the player that chases money.

Godwin is the easiest to replace. They really don't need him to be successful. They need the two defensive players

Godwin helps them be successful but agree other 2 are more important. David is older though. We'll see what happens if they end up replacing Godwin with a rookie or different FA WR. Can Scotty Miller step up, would they bring back Antonio Brown and Gronk.

I hope they let him walk but a bidding war for him wouldn't be fun either. Golladay is the easiest for Lions to keep. Tag him then work on a deal.

Last edited:
We can fit both Okwara and Golladay in, but the key is getting Golladay signed long-term to free up space to sign the draft picks.

Either way I am obviously a big Parsons fan and I think Eskridge would be a very nice pick. I'm not sold on Marshall, but as a 2nd rounder I think he would have some nice upside, but I think he is very boom or bust.

Two thing I would definitely disagree with is Higgins getting 8mil a year, and I don't see us even attempting to re-sign Griffen. Higgins has been a solid contributor and would make for a nice signing, but with the cap dropping and the WR market being loaded in the draft and FA the mid tier guys are going to have to settle. I would guess he checks in around 4-5mil a year, but I could be wrong. As far as Griffen he doesn't fit the bill being an aging vet that this front office is looking for. Plus with Flowers, Reddick, and Okwara on the edge with Julian Okwara as the unknown is probably good heading into the season, IMO.

Overall I would be okay if it panned out like that. We would still be looking good on cap room in 2022 and would've made serious effort to upgrade the front seven.

We can fit Okwara and Golladay, but not if you go get the other FAs i wanted like Reddick and Higgins. For me i placed an importance on fixing the D and using golladays money to resign okwara and get Reddick.

How i feel about Griffen will be based on a couple things. Mainly what type of defense youre running which were getting mixed signals about which makes me think he doesnt know yet because the personnel needs such an overhaul.

i THINK he wants to run more of a 4-3 which in that case i agree with your assessment 100% and we wouldnt need Griffen. The shift there would be to needing (2) 4-3 DTs whih we currently dont have on the roster. Id also cut Shelton in that case.

But if he wants to stay in more of a 3-4 or 3-3-5 look then i think you need Griffen. Theres no one to play that 3 man front DE (im sure LKP will chime in here telling me how good Hand is lol). 3-4 means less overhaul is needed cause you have shelton and Pensini that can play the nose. Your needs shift to LB...which we all know we needed to be upgraded anyways.

We can fit Okwara and Golladay, but not if you go get the other FAs i wanted like Reddick and Higgins. For me i placed an importance on fixing the D and using golladays money to resign okwara and get Reddick.

How i feel about Griffen will be based on a couple things. Mainly what type of defense youre running which were getting mixed signals about which makes me think he doesnt know yet because the personnel needs such an overhaul.

i THINK he wants to run more of a 4-3 which in that case i agree with your assessment 100% and we wouldnt need Griffen. The shift there would be to needing (2) 4-3 DTs whih we currently dont have on the roster. Id also cut Shelton in that case.

But if he wants to stay in more of a 3-4 or 3-3-5 look then i think you need Griffen. Theres no one to play that 3 man front DE (im sure LKP will chime in here telling me how good Hand is lol). 3-4 means less overhaul is needed cause you have shelton and Pensini that can play the nose. Your needs shift to LB...which we all know we needed to be upgraded anyways.

Everson Griffen has never played in a 3-4 though. Vikings 4-3 all the way, Dallas was 4-3 and Lions were multiple but more 4 down often looks. Also Griffen is older. He is more band aid than long term fix for anything. Plus a little bit of a head case. Doubt he wants part of a rebuild too

Last edited:
Everson Griffen has never played in a 3-4 though. Vikings 4-3 all the way, Dallas was 4-3 and Lions were multiple but more 4 down often looks. Also Griffen is older. He is more band aid than long term fix for anything. Plus a little bit of a head case. Doubt he wants part of a rebuild too

Agree...but at this point in his career i think he more of a 3-4 DE. If you moved to a 4-3 Okwara would be opposite Flowers and you have no need for Griffen. 3-4 keeps all 3 of them on the field together.

I played around with Kenny Golladay?s contract and tried to mimic Amari Cooper?s a little. I don?t think he hits the 20mil AAV that Cooper got and think it will be closer to 18mil.

His contract is 5 years, 90mil, with a 10mil signing bonus and and 30mil total guaranteed at signing and another 18mil guaranteed in 2023 for injury only.

2021 6mil fully guaranteed base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 8mil cap hit

2022 14mil fully guaranteed base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 16mil cap hit

2023 18mil (18mil guaranteed for injury only by a certain date in 2023) base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 20mil cap hit

2024 20mil base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 22mil cap hit

2025 22mil base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 24mil cap hit

We would have a very reasonable cap hit in year one to still make some moves. By 2023 he could be cut as long as he wasn?t injured with only 6mil in dead cap.

I played around with Kenny Golladay?s contract and tried to mimic Amari Cooper?s a little. I don?t think he hits the 20mil AAV that Cooper got and think it will be closer to 18mil.

His contract is 5 years, 90mil, with a 10mil signing bonus and and 30mil total guaranteed at signing and another 18mil guaranteed in 2023 for injury only.

2022 14mil fully guaranteed base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 16mil cap hit

2023 18mil (18mil guaranteed for injury only by a certain date in 2023) base salary prorated 2mil signing bonus 20mil cap hit

We would have a very reasonable cap hit in year one to still make some moves. By 2023 he could be cut as long as he wasn?t injured with only 6mil in dead cap.

if they tag him, I'm not sure he'd sign that. Franchise tag is $16M. The contract you have provided "only" guarantees $30M. If I were him I'd want more guaranteed money.

He doesnt want to be here or he would have signed back in 2020 when we offered him a 16 mil per year extension. He doesnt play next year for $8 mil. Hes gone. You tag him to protect the asset and you try to move him. If not he plays for $14 mil this year and is probably disgruntled and a cry baby all year.

In you scenario, KG has a "guarantee" of $48M while Cooper's is $60M. Pretty big gap. Cooper set the standard. I doubt KG signs for anything less than $60M guaranteed

In you scenario, KG has a "guarantee" of $48M while Cooper's is $60M. Pretty big gap. Cooper set the standard. I doubt KG signs for anything less than $60M guaranteed

Cooper set the standard and has been underperforming ever since.

Golladay sat out all year and is expecting the same kind of deal on a year they are squeezing the cap. Its not going to happen...i dont think he wants it to happen which is what it really boils down to.

We could sign him long term but im assuming it will have to be at some astronomical number that will piss me off.

Last edited:
Back