Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

My 2021 Off-Season Moves

In you scenario, KG has a "guarantee" of $48M while Cooper's is $60M. Pretty big gap. Cooper set the standard. I doubt KG signs for anything less than $60M guaranteed

In a year where the cap drops there won't be many if any tone setting contracts signed. Golladay is coming off injury and doesn't have the resume Cooper has so I doubt he gets as much as he does.

He would be getting 10mil the day the contract is signed and being guaranteed another 20mil regardless what happens. Plus another 18mil in 2023 for injury only. Cooper only got an extra 10mil guaranteed upfront and 12mil overall. I could be off, but I would think it would be a reasonable deal for both sides.

As far as Golladay not wanting to be here, He made comments that he was excited to play for Dan Campbell and really loved the energy he brings. The way he spoke was not of a player who was looking ahead to free agency, but of someone who was looking towards the future with the Lions. Maybe he was already resigned to the fact he was going to get tagged so he was towing the company line, but it didn't seem that way watching it.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/keenan-allen-12357/

Keenan Allen signed an extension right before the 2020 season. He has had a better career then Golladay has had to this point and would be another reasonable benchmark for Golladay.

GTD AT SIGN:$26,500,000 TOTAL GTD:$43,000,000

I understand the difference between a 4 year and 5 year deal, but it is right around that ballpark if you average it out it is 33.125mil at signing and 53.75mil total over 5 years and I wouldn't expect Golladay to eclipse what Allen got.

Cooper set the standard and has been underperforming ever since.

Golladay sat out all year and is expecting the same kind of deal on a year they are squeezing the cap. Its not going to happen...i dont think he wants it to happen which is what it really boils down to.

We could sign him long term but im assuming it will have to be at some astronomical number that will piss me off.

Obviously we are playing with hypotheticals here, but if they structured something similar to what I proposed what you be okay with that or is that way too much in your eyes.

Obviously we are playing with hypotheticals here, but if they structured something similar to what I proposed what you be okay with that or is that way too much in your eyes.

8 mill cap hit in year 1... make it happen. Good deal for both sides imo. I think he'll want more though.

Would need to go big on the signing bonus like they did with Flowers. He got 18 per with a 6 million cap hit. Mike Disner knows how to structure them well and he is still the cap guy

5 years with 1 million base salary, 30 million signing bonus over 5 years could be a 7 mil cap hit. He gets 31 million this year from that. Makes it harder to cut or trade until year 4 or 5 but hopefully he plays well for 3-4 years to keep him

5 years 90 million is 18 per. Flowers had 28 million signing bonus and 800K salary in 2019. 6.4 cap hit

Golladay cap number grows in 2022, 2023 when Lions have more cap room available. Especially if they end up dropping Goff in 2022 or 2023. TBD how Goff plays

What we don't want is Goff getting excuses that he had no weapons. Then he sticks around longer for the Goff haters

Last edited:
Would need to go big on the signing bonus like they did with Flowers. He got 18 per with a 6 million cap hit. Mike Disner knows how to structure them well and he is still the cap guy

5 years with 1 million base salary, 30 million signing bonus over 5 years could be a 7 mil cap hit. He gets 31 million this year from that. Makes it harder to cut or trade until year 4 or 5 but hopefully he plays well for 3-4 years to keep him

5 years 90 million is 18 per. Flowers had 28 million signing bonus and 800K salary in 2019. 6.4 cap hit

Golladay cap number grows in 2022, 2023 when Lions have more cap room available. Especially if they end up dropping Goff in 2022 or 2023. TBD how Goff plays

What we don't want is Goff getting excuses that he had no weapons. Then he sticks around longer for the Goff haters

Obviously he has to agree to it, but I would do my best to keep the signing bonus as low as we can. Cooper signed a larger contract with only 10mil signing bonus. The way Golladay plays I could see his body breaking down faster then some of style of WR's, similar to Alshon Jeffrey. I don't want to have a lot guaranteed cash committed beyond years 3. To get around that most teams guaranteed salaries early on, which is the approach the Lions should take.

Once again Golladay would have to agree to this. Franchise Golladay, and let him shop around and figure out his worth. It is not going to be what he wants in a year like this where the cap drops and the market is flooded with WR's.

Is this a little worrisome? "Chris Spielman signals he wants to keep Kenny Golladay."

What does Spielman have to do with anything? And then I hear Holmes saying he wants to hear input from everyone on the draft. He's the GM and a former scout master, wtf. coaches fine, but keep Hemp away, keep Spielman away.

Is this a little worrisome? "Chris Spielman signals he wants to keep Kenny Golladay."

What does Spielman have to do with anything? And then I hear Holmes saying he wants to hear input from everyone on the draft. He's the GM and a former scout master, wtf. coaches fine, but keep Hemp away, keep Spielman away.

Think you are reading too much into it, IMO. He specifically came out and said Dan Campbell and Holmes are making all football decision. It is good to have input from other people, to me that isn't a negative. It becomes a negative when they say you HAVE to pick this player or sign this player. Everything I've heard and read is saying it is nothing like that.

Think you are reading too much into it, IMO. He specifically came out and said Dan Campbell and Holmes are making all football decision. It is good to have input from other people, to me that isn't a negative. It becomes a negative when they say you HAVE to pick this player or sign this player. Everything I've heard and read is saying it is nothing like that.

Chris Spielman shouldn't be talking about any free agents. Holmes should discuss draft questions with Campbell and that's it. Hemp should be at home, she did her job and hired a GM. Nothing left to do.

So what does he mean by "Listening to everyone."

The only two certainties seem to be that Holmes will listen to everyone?s input

https://sports.yahoo.com/brad-holmes-even-dont-answers-005042837.html

Maybe that's just the writers own input but he doesn't need to listen to anyone but his HC.

Chris Spielman shouldn't be talking about any free agents. Holmes should discuss draft questions with Campbell and that's it. Hemp should be at home, she did her job and hired a GM. Nothing left to do.

So what does he mean by "Listening to everyone."

The only two certainties seem to be that Holmes will listen to everyone?s input

https://sports.yahoo.com/brad-holmes-even-dont-answers-005042837.html

Maybe that's just the writers own input but he doesn't need to listen to anyone but his HC.

Maybe I'm off on this, but didn't we just deal with that. Quinn and Patricia thought they were the smartest guys in the room and what they said was the rule of law. The Owners completely stayed out of it. I'd rather have a group effort where everyone communicates and is on the same page. At the end of the day it is Campbell and Holmes job to make the decisions themselves base on their own what they heard and how they personally feel. Shelia should be there so if things go wrong she knows why and who was the one who made the call. She should be involved. Now she should not be involved to the extent Jerry Jones, or Dan Snyder is, but I love the fact she is putting in time sitting in on meetings and getting to learn the process.

Sheila is in there to learn. And agree with 1811, she will know who was pushing for what and that is important. Collaboration good but we will see if too many cooks in kitchen become a problem. If disagreements turn nasty and people back stab and causes organization problems is one thing, but all these people don't seem like the type that wouldn't do that (other than Dorsey but he doesn't have any power just input)

Last edited:
Just have to disagree. Not withstanding the morons from the NE boys. The owner can be there to listen but no input. No reason for her to have any input. Spielman what the heck is his job? We don't need a buttinski.

Just have to disagree. Not withstanding the morons from the NE boys. The owner can be there to listen but no input. No reason for her to have any input. Spielman what the heck is his job? We don't need a buttinski.

From my understanding Spielman is more so the guiding hand. These guys were put in place because of what they said in the interview process. Spielman should be there to make sure they are following through.

Below is from Brad Holmes just yesterday I believe.

?It?s a fine line of having confidence and over-confidence,? Holmes told about 40 attendees of the forum. ?It?s important to have some form of humility about yourself. I think it?s important to embrace uncertainty and have humility in terms of for example when I walk into a draft meeting I have the humility to know that I don?t have all the answers. But everybody in the room has a piece of the answer.?

This will be the first time anyone sees what answer Holmes and his staff come up with in the draft. The only two certainties seem to be that Holmes will listen to everyone?s input ? and that the draft starts and ends as a game of projections.

?So as a decision-maker you?ve got to be a great listener and make sure you put all those pieces together and make the best choice,? he said. ?In our line of work it?s tough because you always have to predict the future and plan or project down the road. So having those traits to project obviously always bodes well.?

A little snippet from an Athletic article I read today. Might give some insight on where any extra money for Golladay and other signings will come from:

Lionscapcuts.jpg

From my understanding Spielman is more so the guiding hand. These guys were put in place because of what they said in the interview process. Spielman should be there to make sure they are following through.

Below is from Brad Holmes just yesterday I believe.

?It?s a fine line of having confidence and over-confidence,? Holmes told about 40 attendees of the forum. ?It?s important to have some form of humility about yourself. I think it?s important to embrace uncertainty and have humility in terms of for example when I walk into a draft meeting I have the humility to know that I don?t have all the answers. But everybody in the room has a piece of the answer.?

This will be the first time anyone sees what answer Holmes and his staff come up with in the draft. The only two certainties seem to be that Holmes will listen to everyone?s input ? and that the draft starts and ends as a game of projections.

?So as a decision-maker you?ve got to be a great listener and make sure you put all those pieces together and make the best choice,? he said. ?In our line of work it?s tough because you always have to predict the future and plan or project down the road. So having those traits to project obviously always bodes well.?

How is he qualified? Just a dumb hire, makes no sense.

Back