Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

No Kids, No Kickoffs

If students can't learn, they can't play football. Makes sense.

Unless they're willing to start paying the players. That changes things.

If students can't learn, they can't play football. Makes sense.

Unless they're willing to start paying the players. That changes things.

the students can still learn...they are just taking classes on line.

Maybe the football players can just play games on line too.

Being May it doesn't mean much but if the kids are still online when the season starts they'll play.

Anyone hearing any more on this? I’m surprised I can’t find a link but I heard a radio blurb over the weekend that PSU and OSU players are soon returning to campus for voluntary workouts.

Assuming there is B1G football this fall, wouldn’t it make sense that Michigan has contractual obligations to participate?

Anyone hearing any more on this? I?m surprised I can?t find a link but I heard a radio blurb over the weekend that PSU and OSU players are soon returning to campus for voluntary workouts.

Assuming there is B1G football this fall, wouldn?t it make sense that Michigan has contractual obligations to participate?

I heard from my non-sports fan father-in-law that some Alabama players contracted COVID19 from voluntary player workouts. Wherever he heard it, they were talking about how it would likely be a setback to efforts to have a season. I never bothered to confirm any of it though - I just prefer to spread the rumor as if it was 100% true.

I heard from my non-sports fan father-in-law that some Alabama players contracted COVID19 from voluntary player workouts. Wherever he heard it, they were talking about how it would likely be a setback to efforts to have a season. I never bothered to confirm any of it though - I just prefer to spread the rumor as if it was 100% true.

If it?s true, that Covid shit sure spreads fast.

The workouts just started today (Monday, June 8).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JRLNdcmRcFY

If it’s true, that Covid shit sure spreads fast.

The workouts just started today (Monday, June 8).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JRLNdcmRcFY

from what he told me it was nothing official, just players on their own chose to get together and workout and one or more of them ended up with COVID19 - sounded like it was fairly recent though. He either got it from NPR or some non-sports source and since he has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to sports, I've learned not to ask for details whenever he brings something up.

Last edited:
What other activities were the players that came down with the virus engaged in? I'll bet they were involved in other group activities that exposed them to the virus.

don't know - I'm sure it came from contact somewhere else but it probably spread among the players through the practices.

Last edited:
B1G presidents and ADs are supposed to be meeting today to make a decision on the upcoming season. Seen some rumors that Rutgers and Maryland are going to opt out of the season. Rutgers announced they are going predominantly online for classes this fall, so I doubt they play football. NW says they only want to play games in their division.

My assumption is we see the non-conference games canceled. Maybe they try and replace them with regional teams like WMU, EMU, CMU. MAC athletic depts are in financial trouble, so it may take a larger payout from UM to even get those games. Seems pointless to do that.

B1G presidents and ADs are supposed to be meeting today to make a decision on the upcoming season. Seen some rumors that Rutgers and Maryland are going to opt out of the season. Rutgers announced they are going predominantly online for classes this fall, so I doubt they play football. NW says they only want to play games in their division.

My assumption is we see the non-conference games canceled. Maybe they try and replace them with regional teams like WMU, EMU, CMU. MAC athletic depts are in financial trouble, so it may take a larger payout from UM to even get those games. Seems pointless to do that.

Can individual players opt out?

I'm sure they could, but I don't know what the consequences would be.

I wonder if there would be. Can't punish someone putting them in a possible harmful environment can they? Maybe not get drafted as high or drafted at all would be about it. Maybe that's what you meant ..

I wonder if there would be. Can't punish someone putting them in a possible harmful environment can they? Maybe not get drafted as high or drafted at all would be about it. Maybe that's what you meant ..

Maybe their scholarship could be rescinded as if they had just quit. Maybe that hasn?t even been considered yet. With the possibility of their even being a college football season still quite in question, worrying about that might be kind of down the road.

you are right, that would make no sense at all. The larger schools pay the small schools to play the away games with the revenue they get from the game (tickets, parking, concessions). My guess is schools like UM, OSU, etc. take in over $10M for every home game. No fans, no $$

I don't see the point of the MAC even having a season. Why play??

If there are no fans, it probably doesn't make sense but on the off chance they allow fans, don't most of those teams make more money play at uofm and MSU? If that's the case and personally, I think it should but more than likely won't be, then there shouldn't have to be any sweetening of the pot.

retribution from coaches and other players would be one risk.

you are right, that would make no sense at all. The larger schools pay the small schools to play the away games with the revenue they get from the game (tickets, parking, concessions). My guess is schools like UM, OSU, etc. take in over $10M for every home game. No fans, no $$

I don't see the point of the MAC even having a season. Why play??

Don't forget the BTN money. I'm sure there will be a revenue spike from increased subscriptions.

Back