Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

No Kids, No Kickoffs

Players can forego this season and still keep their scholarship for next season. Gerry Dinardo just discussed it on BTN.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

it's not far off in price. When I first cut the cable a few years ago, I got BTN and ESPN from Sling for less than $20/mo. Sling no longer has BTN. The cheapest streaming service that offers BTN was over $40/month last year. By the time you add in high speed internet and the land line my wife refuses to get rid of, it's no much if any cheaper than the basic cable/internet/phone plus BTN package. Overall, it's still cheaper for me because I turn it off right after the BTT and don't add it again until college football kicks off.

But streaming is still more valuable to me even at the same price. The variety and ability to watch you want, when you want make it so much more useful to me.

Sure. YTTV and Fubio both at $65 now (YTTV is the best imo but after a $15 hike I left), if you want sports with Directv Now (AT&T Now) it's 80 bucks. I'm on a Sling TV trial at the moment. If it wasn't for family I would go full cut the cord because I get MLB & NHL online plus there's some other online places that stream many top channels..

Sure. YTTV and Fubio both at $65 now (YTTV is the best imo but after a $15 hike I left), if you want sports with Directv Now (AT&T Now) it's 80 bucks. I'm on a Sling TV trial at the moment. If it wasn't for family I would go full cut the cord because I get MLB & NHL online plus there's some other online places that stream many top channels..

Sling doesn?t have BTN or did they get it back? Trust me if you have Netflix and/or Amazon Prime, and you cut it fully, they won?t miss it for long if ever.

Update from poster at MGoBlog:

Still no decision on when to start the season (as of 5pm today), if it's divisional games only (seems unlikely), and if its 9 games or 10 (TV may be a factor).

I mentioned this is about control and flexibility, if you notice in the press release they specifically mention two committees of health professionals. Right now the recommendation is to play with those neck things that you can pull up over your mouth and the new full facemasks. This is just one example of why this decision was made. Another interesting one, what to do if someone tests positive on the road and can't travel back with the team (answer: that (home) B1G team has to treat the player like he is on their team, so someone could theoretically be isolated on the road in a dorm or hotel until he is safe to travel back to his school). The list is going to be long, but that is exactly the point. I can't wait to see all of the rules and policies they put in place. But those two groups are leading this in a big (err B1G) way.

Most schools right now are planning for 15-25% capacity. But that could go down in a hurry. They'll play with no fans if they have to.

They intentionally mixed football in with other fall sports in the press release (listed in alphabetical order), but they also intentionally left out sports like golf and tennis. Fall sports are likely to keep their normal report times (early August) and have their seasons pushed back. Football on the other hand is already on campuses, so they could start on time if they wanted. The recruiting dead period is still in effect.

Schools will absolutely make this voluntary for all student-athletes and they'll keep their scholarships. That was a mandate from the AD/President meetings. BUT it is highly unlikely anyone gets extra eligibility unless he or she has a redshirt year. Speaking of which, the football redshirt rule will come from the NCAA not the B1G, which is going to be hard if different conferences do different things, it may move to a % of total games this year...for the B1G, that would likely mean 3 games and keep your redshirt (instead of 4).

A lot of schools will still offer some classes on campus, so it won't JUST be student-athletes. But one person per dorm, less traffic in dining halls, classes that "have" to be face-to-face like labs. Maybe on-campus 1 or 2 days per week or every other week. They'll get creative and I don't think anyone is going to let political pressure factor in, especially if there is a change in November (which is before the end of fall semesters, so I don't think there is much of a rush to react to the threat).

Sling doesn?t have BTN or did they get it back? Trust me if you have Netflix and/or Amazon Prime, and you cut it fully, they won?t miss it for long if ever.

My mom lives here and she'd be happy to save money as well but she likes to watch Fox News, local news (Antenna have a hard time here) and TCM. Plus a couple other live channels. Small price to pay to make her happy. I still save money over YTTV. As far as the BTN, I read they planned on adding it prior to the 2020-21 season. Weather Covid19 put that on hold not sure.

My mom lives here and she'd be happy to save money as well but she likes to watch Fox News, local news (Antenna have a hard time here) and TCM. Plus a couple other live channels. Small price to pay to make her happy. I still save money over YTTV. As far as the BTN, I read they planned on adding it prior to the 2020-21 season. Weather Covid19 put that on hold not sure.

what is YTTV?

Our town is at the top of a hill so I get great reception w/ a digital antenna in my attic. I first got BTN through Sling for $19 a month the year I cut the cord (prob 2016 or 17). I had it for the football and basketball seasons then dropped it. signed up the following fall without checking - noticed the price was double but didn't realize no BTN until kickoff of week 1.

We're about to move so don't know what we'll do until we figure out our options in the new location but even BTN is less important to me now - I doubt we'll have a season to worry about this fall and if we have basketball, it probably won't start until December at the earliest.

Last edited:
All of this talk about cutting the cord made me check my ATT bill. My TV bill is $160 which includes BTN and Fox Detroit. I see YTTV (youtube TV) is about $65 per month and pretty much has everything we watch but I didn't see fox Detroit which I would want for Tigers games. What service has fox detroit?

All of this talk about cutting the cord made me check my ATT bill. My TV bill is $160 which includes BTN and Fox Detroit. I see YTTV (youtube TV) is about $65 per month and pretty much has everything we watch but I didn't see fox Detroit which I would want for Tigers games. What service has fox detroit?

Remember you still need internet service from someone like AT&T or VZ. In your case, you need high speed internet service for less than $95/month before you save anything. other things to consider like a DVR - if you have that in your $160 that's an additional cost. Some streaming services offer replays of sporting events but you can't ffwd through commercials, etc. You can get a DVR but as of last year, there wasn't a DVR that could record both over-the-air TV and streamed programming. Some B1G football games will be over-the-air on ABC while others will be streamed on ESPN or BTN.

If you have simple service and can get cheap internet access, it's an easy decision but there are other factors you may not be thinking about that could be a problem. The more extras you want to replace, the more complicated, and costly the solution becomes.

Last edited:

YTTV has the local Fox Sports channels. I just switched and I get Fox Sports Indiana, Fox Sports Indiana Plus.

Right now the recommendation is to play with those neck things that you can pull up over your mouth and the new full facemasks.

This part seems completely insane to me. So in the first couple of games when it's 80-85+ degrees, you're going to have the players in full facemasks that cover their mouth area and in neck gaiters? How are these players going to breathe?

If you've tried running in a neck gaiter, it's not pleasant at all. I tried it with the co-workers I run with and it was awful. Typically we do 3.5 miles on our lunch break and I was dying after 1.5 miles. Running in altitude doesn't ever affect me, but this SUCKED.

Remember you still need internet service from someone like AT&T or VZ. In your case, you need high speed internet service for less than $95/month before you save anything. other things to consider like a DVR - if you have that in your $160 that's an additional cost. Some streaming services offer replays of sporting events but you can't ffwd through commercials, etc. You can get a DVR but as of last year, there wasn't a DVR that could record both over-the-air TV and streamed programming. Some B1G football games will be over-the-air on ABC while others will be streamed on ESPN or BTN.

If you have simple service and can get cheap internet access, it's an easy decision but there are other factors you may not be thinking about that could be a problem. The more extras you want to replace, the more complicated, and costly the solution becomes.

the $160 is just TV. My internet is $80 per month "internet 45 (45Mbps)". It says we can connect up to 10 devices with 4K, download a 90 min HD movie (750MB) in under 2.5 minutes, 1TB of internet data per month. I assume our current service is fast enough and have enough data to stream our TV shows we watch??

Back