Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Obj?

detroit1811

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...am-jr-pros-cons-to-detroit-lions-claiming-him

As everyone probably knows, he was cut as of this morning. The Browns also converted his salary to a signing bonus so if he is claimed he won't be owed much more then the minimum for this year. Excellent article on the pros and cons to claiming him. I 100% would claim him as I see very little potential downfall, with a ton of upside.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole.

Also, he is due $13.75M each year in 2022 & 2023

Who is he going to ruin? St Brown? lol....guy doesnt even get targets. Sign him. Cut Goff to make roster room.

The Fords spend 13M on paper clips. Sign OBJ now. Why not?

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole.

Also, he is due $13.75M each year in 2022 & 2023

I dont think that's true. I read earlier that if the lions claimed him he'd be owed 7ish million for the remainder of this year and that's the only guaranteed money left on the deal. So basically those last 2 years are team options.

That being the case, the lions would be fools to not claim him.

I dont think that's true. I read earlier that if the lions claimed him he'd be owed 7ish million for the remainder of this year and that's the only guaranteed money left on the deal. So basically those last 2 years are team options.

you are correct.

I reverse my position. I would definitely sign him. I can't stand him as a player and his diva act/personality. He deserves to go to the shittiest organization in football. :lmao:

you are correct.

I reverse my position. I would definitely sign him. I can't stand him as a player and his diva act/personality. He deserves to go to the shittiest organization in history :lmao:

Just a minor correction.

Would not even cost that for this year anymore. He is still very expensive for the next two seasons, but if he doesn't work out he can be cut and we would incur no dead money. If he can prove he can still be a #1 guy then he is worth it and if he acts up we can still cut him with no dead money. If he wants out then we can try to trade him in the off-season. IMO, its a win/win.

On Thursday, I was asked how Beckham's contract would impact the Lions' salary cap if they claimed him (in a claiming situation, the player?s contract follows him to the new team, minus some of the bonuses that have to be absorbed by the original team). The short version was this: with roughly $7.5 million remaining in 2021, the Lions would need to free up significant cap space to acquire him and that would mean restructuring existing players?like Trey Flowers or Hal Vaiti?contracts to make space.

Things changed Friday morning.

NFL Network?s Ian Rapoport is reporting that the Browns are reducing Beckham?s base salary close to the league minimum and converting the rest into a signing bonus. This would instantly make Beckham?s contract affordable for the Lions and they would not have to restructure any contracts to make space.

After 2021, Beckham still has two years left on his contract, each accounting for a $15 million cap hit, per Overthecap.com. And because there would be no guaranteed bonuses (they were absorbed by the Browns) or guaranteed salary, the Lions could release or trade him with zero penalties.

I'm confused.. do we want to finish 0-17 or not. Granted I don't think he changes that .. But why do we want this guy? We're 0 and freakin' 8.

I'm confused.. do we want to finish 0-17 or not. Granted I don't think he changes that .. But why do we want this guy? We're 0 and freakin' 8.

If gives him the chance to come in now so the staff can evaluate his potential fit in the future. If he works out you just picked up your #1 WR for nothing. If he doesn't then maybe you can finagle a draft pick out of someone in the off-season. Worst case you cut him in the off-season and incur zero dead cap. There is basically zero risk involved.

The guy turned 29 years old today. He could realistically have 2-4 good seasons left. If he shows he still has the ability to be a #1 WR in the final 9 games then you can draft a guy and let him learn from OBJ. Then you would have OBJ, (1st/2nd round) rookie, Cephus, St. Brown, and Raymond (if we re-signed). That is a solid group of WR's if Beckham can show he still has #1 ability. If sounds like he never meshed well with Mayfield and that offense, maybe a change of scenery may do him wonders.

This guy is a cancer...he will help the Lions get zero wins. Then, in the off season, you cut him or trade him.

Here?s what I would do.

Claim him. Then do everything that can possibly be done to get his numbers as high as Jared Goff can get him. Tell everyone on the planet he?s the hardest working, best teammate there has ever been.

Then trade him in the off season.

The remainder of his deal is VERY easy to trade and someone might give up a decent package to get him.

Here's the problem. OBJ is a deep threat WR which is why he doesn't really fit with Baker. The lions have a QB that doesn't throw it more than 4 yards. It doesn't seem to be a good fit.

Here's the problem. OBJ is a deep threat WR which is why he doesn't really fit with Baker. The lions have a QB that doesn't throw it more than 4 yards. It doesn't seem to be a good fit.

It?s a terrible fit. But realistically he would give us a threat on the outside we don?t have. It?s the only way Hock could stop seeing bracket coverage this year.

I?m not for it unless the goal was inflating his worth and then trading him.

As far as the offensive fit?..he is similar to Keenan Allen?.who Lynn had success with in SD. But it?s a terrible fit with Goff?..who is terrible.

Goff was one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL when he had Brandin Cooks. Not saying he can ever replicate that success. What Odell would also do is open things up for Hockenson and Swift, as currently teams are not afraid of anyone getting deep.

Lions waived WR Tyrell Williams.
Signed to a one-year contract in free agency, Williams' tenure with the Lions comes to an end with 39 snaps and 2/14 receiving. Presumably cleared from the concussion protocol he's been recovering from since September, Williams might land on a practice squad somewhere if healthy. Kalif Raymond and Amon-Ra St. Brown will continue starting in his place.

Could be coincidence? It is the bye week.

Back