Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Obj?

So which team is worse, 2021 or 2008?

Do you mean which would lose if we could magic both teams into a stadium and have them play a game? Or which is worse to be a fan of?

In both cases, 2008 is probably worse. It was arguably the worst defense of all time, and the offense scored less than 17 ppg. But moreover, 2008 wasn't trying to be that bad. At least today we know the team is definitely rebuilding, that the team actively traded better players for picks. At this point, no Lions fan should be holding out hope, so from that that end they are equal.

So which team is worse, 2021 or 2008?

Definitely 2008. If memory serves it seemed every week we would go down by 21+ points in the first half. Rarely were we ever even in games. We should've beat Baltimore who is one of the best teams in the AFC. We took the lead in Minnesota with what, less then 30 seconds on the clock? We went toe to toe with the Rams who are one of the best teams in the NFC. This team is much better then 2008, IMO.

The lows of this team could rival that year though as we have so many young guys playing that there will be highs and lows. The Eagles game was a low for sure. Something I read a few days ago, the Lions are on a trend. They play well one week then not so much the next. Lets see if that trend continues against the Steelers.

2008 team had higher expectations in year 3 of Marinelli. 4 QBS, Calvin but the worst defense ever. Funny though how Barry is doing well as DC with the Packers this year

2021 no expectations, some close brutal losses but some blow outs as well (Bengals, Eagles)

We will see if they can get a win or two. The Lions have lost 12 in a row now going back to a 4 game losing streak to end last season.

Excited for this staff still, some young players and the 2022 draft with an extra 1st.

Injuries too for 2021. Decker,/Crosby, Ragnow, Okwara, Okudah, Ife don't help. I know 2008 they lost Kitna or put him on IR on purpose and that cost them a win or two

Last edited:
While 2008 D was historically bad, I still think with CJ vs our current UDFA CBs that the 2008 Lions win. It likely would come down to a last second FG... but there again I have to go with 2008 Hanson being more accurate and a longer range.

And this is exactly why DC impresses me so much. This roster is shit, yet they compete. No one on this roster is Pro Bowl worthy, but they are playing as a team which allows them to play some competitive games.

2008 was a cluster fuck but with at least CJ and Hanson being All Pro worthy based on pure talent.

Eventually Sewell will be All Pro worthy, but he is a very young rookie, so not there yet. Ragnow and Decker are injured, Swift is borderline Pro Bowl talent, but the talent of other RBs is better and they are on better teams so he is not likely to get that invite unless all the others are injured or decline.

the average game score for the 2008 team was 17-32 (rounded)

the average score for this season is 17-31 (rounded)

the average game score for the 2008 team was 17-32 (rounded)

the average score for this season is 17-31 (rounded)

I keep telling everyone that this Lions team could possibly be the best winless team in the history of the NFL.

If they actually do end up going winless, they will certainly be the best winless team since the last time the Lions went winless in 2008.

I keep telling everyone that this Lions team could possibly be the best winless team in the history of the NFL.

If they actually do end up going winless, they will certainly be the best winless team since the last time the Lions went winless in 2008.

What about the 1942 Lions who went 0-11. How good were they. Who is old enough to have seen their games or were you busy in Germany or Japan.

We already have gone winless twice in history. Third times a charm

Last edited:
I thought I'd find something promising in the Rams draft history, but that was a mistake

2013 Tavon Austin (8)
2013 Stedman Bailey (92)
2015 Bud Sasser (201)
2016 Pharoh Cooper (117)
2016 Mike Thomas (206)
2017 Cooper Kupp (69)
2017 Josh Reynolds (117)
2020 Van Jefferson (57)

Hit on Kupp, the rest though...

Reynolds is/was serviceable I guess? and Van Jefferson has been decent this year in a very good offense

Reynolds was just given his release from the Titans. $500k for the rest of the year. We could use a serviceable wr. Make it happen Holmes.

i think this years team is worse. Shitty gm decisions and shitty coaching is compounding the fact the have 0 talent. It doesnt even look like football. They go for it on every 4th down and dont make it is hilarious to watch. Like if your plan is to do that then youd think theyd practice and be ready ad actually execute a couple nice plays. Nope...not our special little team.

If healthy this years team is better by a long shot. Looking at the 0-16 lions roster the only legitimate nfl starters they had were Calvin Johnson, Raiola, Backus, and Cliff Avril but he wasn?t too good yet. This team has at least 4 on the oline, swift, Williams, hockenson, Tracy walker, Romeo Okwara? and a few others who are too young to tell atm. This team is better basically on the d-line, secondary, oline, tight end, rb, and maybeee even qb but I?ll say it?s a wash. Linebacker is a wash, receiver is worse due to Calvin. And that?s it. But we have been hit by injuries so hard that they are almost equal rosters.

Anyways Rams got him anyways.

Rams are now the winning version of the Lions West.

Rams are certainly all in for 2021. To the point that if they DON'T win this year its going to be a massive disappointment to everyone involved. Can't keep all these players for next year.....have almost NO draft capital in the next 2 drafts. Have a couple superstars to re-sign......and all but Kupp is on the wrong side of over the hill for their position (Stafford, Miller, Ramsey).

Donalds cap hit almost doubles next year, $14.6M to $26.7M. Kupps goes from $5M to $18M. Floyds goes from $5.5 to $20M. Ramsey from $9.7M to $23M. Woods from $5.8M to $15.7M. Stafford will be $23M. That's about $127M (about 60% of estimated cap) on 7 players.

Yes, they can restructure for immediate space.....but it's only going to delay the carnage a year or so. The Rams have a 2-3 year window and then it's going to crash down.

I hope Stafford can get a ring. He'll need it if he's going to get in to the HOF.

Rams are certainly all in for 2021. To the point that if they DON'T win this year its going to be a massive disappointment to everyone involved. Can't keep all these players for next year.....have almost NO draft capital in the next 2 drafts. Have a couple superstars to re-sign......and all but Kupp is on the wrong side of over the hill for their position (Stafford, Miller, Ramsey).

Donalds cap hit almost doubles next year, $14.6M to $26.7M. Kupps goes from $5M to $18M. Floyds goes from $5.5 to $20M. Ramsey from $9.7M to $23M. Woods from $5.8M to $15.7M. Stafford will be $23M. That's about $127M (about 60% of estimated cap) on 7 players.

Yes, they can restructure for immediate space.....but it's only going to delay the carnage a year or so. The Rams have a 2-3 year window and then it's going to crash down.

I hope Stafford can get a ring. He'll need it if he's going to get in to the HOF.

Hoping Holmes doesn?t plan on overpaying for these over the hill (or soon to be) Rams players when they get cut for cap room. If the moves make sense fine, but I don?t want to see a repeat of the ?sign everyone from my former team? strategy.

Hoping Holmes doesn?t plan on overpaying for these over the hill (or soon to be) Rams players when they get cut for cap room. If the moves make sense fine, but I don?t want to see a repeat of the ?sign everyone from my former team? strategy.

He didn't sign Reynolds until super cheap or John Johnson(wish he did) or Ebukam or Gerald Everett or Troy Hill or Malcolm Brown. He went Goff, Brockers in a trade then re-sign to lower his cap number for 2021 and Okwara back which was smart but we got burned with his achilles of course. Hope he learned his lesson from ex Rams in Goff and Brockers.

We'll see who we target in FA now that we have money. 2022 its like Sebastian Joseph NT or Darious Williams as options. Have McNeil and Penisini at nose. I like Williams at CB, he plays well there and Lions could use an experienced one with Okudah coming off achilles

OBJ and Von Miller are FAs but don't think Lions will have interest given age and I don't think they would come to the Lions anyway.

Some teams are sacrificing their future for immediate results. The Bucs will have 24mil in dead cap space in 2023 from Tom Brady even though he currently is not on the roster because they added voidable years to his deal to spead out the cap hit.

Some teams are sacrificing their future for immediate results. The Bucs will have 24mil in dead cap space in 2023 from Tom Brady even though he currently is not on the roster because they added voidable years to his deal to spead out the cap hit.

Also betting on the cap starting to rise again more

Back