Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official Other Bowls Thread

Michchamp

Apparently other bowl games have already been played? :hmm:

I know it was a surprise to me too.

Of note so far, #13 BYU lost to unranked UAB, and the MAC is 0-2, with EMU currently losing to Liberty U. A school not known for allowing its students to have actual liberty.

An actual power 5 conference team plays later today, Oregon State. The Beavers meet 10-3 Utah State in teh "Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl Presented by Stifel"

Why would Jimmy Kimmel sponsor a bowl? Is he selling something?

Apparently other bowl games have already been played? :hmm:

I know it was a surprise to me too.

Of note so far, #13 BYU lost to unranked UAB, and the MAC is 0-2, with EMU currently losing to Liberty U. A school not known for allowing its students to have actual liberty.

An actual power 5 conference team plays later today, Oregon State. The Beavers meet 10-3 Utah State in teh "Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl Presented by Stifel"

Why would Jimmy Kimmel sponsor a bowl? Is he selling something?

No.

He lost a bet to Jay Leno.

both of them suck. was the bet who sucks the most?

that's lame as hell. glad I wasn't aware of any of it.

Starting to finally see people pushing for 12 or 16 team playoffs instead of these bowl games due to players sitting out.

Not saying the they are wrong for sitting out, but if their choice to do so doesn't point out the pointless nature of these games, nothing will.

I will add I would prefer the NCAA split the Power 5 and Group 5 into 2 separate playoffs, each with 12 to 16 teams. That would provide a bigger draw for the smaller bowl games. If a school dominates the Group 5 for several years might jump to Power 5.

Not watching pointless bowl games, but would pull for several Group 5 programs if in playoffs and actually watch those games, whereas now I do not. I do not believe I'm the only person who feels that way.

And with NIL increasing there will be even greater chance for Group 5 players to earn more from this concept.

Might take 10 years to see it happen, and might take form of larger Power 4 and Group 4 Conferences, making seeding less complicated with each conference splitting into 2 divisions and sending the division Champs to the playoffs plus 4 to 8 wildcard teams. If 4 WC teams, they would play losers of the 4 Conf CGs while winners get a BYE.

Starting to finally see people pushing for 12 or 16 team playoffs instead of these bowl games due to players sitting out.

Not saying the they are wrong for sitting out, but if their choice to do so doesn't point out the pointless nature of these games, nothing will.

I will add I would prefer the NCAA split the Power 5 and Group 5 into 2 separate playoffs, each with 12 to 16 teams. That would provide a bigger draw for the smaller bowl games. If a school dominates the Group 5 for several years might jump to Power 5.

Not watching pointless bowl games, but would pull for several Group 5 programs if in playoffs and actually watch those games, whereas now I do not. I do not believe I'm the only person who feels that way.

And with NIL increasing there will be even greater chance for Group 5 players to earn more from this concept.

Might take 10 years to see it happen, and might take form of larger Power 4 and Group 4 Conferences, making seeding less complicated with each conference splitting into 2 divisions and sending the division Champs to the playoffs plus 4 to 8 wildcard teams. If 4 WC teams, they would play losers of the 4 Conf CGs while winners get a BYE.

What the hell does any of this have to do with Jimmy Kimmel, Jay Leno, Conan O?Brien or late night television in general?

What the hell does any of this have to do with Jimmy Kimmel, Jay Leno, Conan O?Brien or late night television in general?

My bad, I sincerely apologize...

Those guys need to create the Jay Leno FBS Power 5 Championship, Conan O'Brien FBS Group 5 Championship, and Jimmy Kimmel FCS Championship.

Make sure each is in the booth as the comedic relief guy.

My bad, I sincerely apologize...

Those guys need to create the Jay Leno FBS Power 5 Championship, Conan O'Brien FBS Group 5 Championship, and Jimmy Kimmel FCS Championship.

Make sure each is in the booth as the comedic relief guy.

Now?THAT?S what I?m talkin? about!

Ohio St fans are worried Utah is going to pound them.

"this can't be good" factoid: Utah's starting running back, who is a bit bigger than Haskins, is an Ohio native who the Buckeyes recruited, offered, and then pulled his scholarship before he enrolled.

Both stars (Pickett and Walker) sitting out of the Peach Bowl for their teams.

Before that, I assumed Pickett would shred MSU's secondary for 500 passing yards, and Pitt would win 42-30 or something like that. Now I don't know. Maybe this is a toss-up. Presumably, Pitt's backup could still throw the ball against MSU's secondary, and I don't know if a one-dimensional MSU offense can score enough points to win it.

One-dimensional offense that is without said one dimension. If there's a better scenario for a first-time starter than this year's MSU secondary with a month to prepare I don't know what it is.

Side note, there has already been like 2-4 MSU dbs put themselves in the portal. How shitty do you have to be to not see any playing time in that secondary?

One-dimensional offense that is without said one dimension. If there's a better scenario for a first-time starter than this year's MSU secondary with a month to prepare I don't know what it is.

Side note, there has already been like 2-4 MSU dbs put themselves in the portal. How shitty do you have to be to not see any playing time in that secondary?

They seemed to get worse as the season went on. I assume coaching (or a lack thereof) is more their problem than talent.

We saw that with RichRod, remember? Our secondary still had talent after Carr left, but Tony Gibson was a terrible coach, and those guys couldn't cover anything after a couple weeks under him.

It's a bad sign for them that Tucker is letting them bleed talent because of it. OSU already replaced their DC; I don't know if Tucker is going to do the same.

I bet our staff wishes they could have that one back... should've just put it on Cade's shoulders from the beginning.

I imagine Penn State fans were pulling their hair out watching their game against MSU... 9.3 yards per pass attempt, 2.3 yards per carry, and they still ran 26 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tulsa beat Old Dominion in the highly anticipated Myrtle Beach Bowl yesterday and no one was disappointed.

They seemed to get worse as the season went on. I assume coaching (or a lack thereof) is more their problem than talent.

We saw that with RichRod, remember? Our secondary still had talent after Carr left, but Tony Gibson was a terrible coach, and those guys couldn't cover anything after a couple weeks under him.

It's a bad sign for them that Tucker is letting them bleed talent because of it. OSU already replaced their DC; I don't know if Tucker is going to do the same.

I bet our staff wishes they could have that one back... should've just put it on Cade's shoulders from the beginning.

I imagine Penn State fans were pulling their hair out watching their game against MSU... 9.3 yards per pass attempt, 2.3 yards per carry, and they still ran 26 times.

All we had to do was stop subbing when they went up-tempo. We gave up 2 TDs and multiple big plays because of not being lined up on defense. I still don't understand how they didn't adjust during the game for them using tempo. MSU had been using it all season, so it was all over their tape. To not be prepared for it was bad. To never make an adjustment during the game was idiotic.

Tulsa beat Old Dominion in the highly anticipated Myrtle Beach Bowl yesterday and no one was disappointed.

I wonder if a single person, aside from the bowl organizers - who likely collected high-six or low-seven figure paychecks for a couple weeks of "work" - was happy that game took place?

I wonder if a single person, aside from the bowl organizers - who likely collected high-six or low-seven figure paychecks for a couple weeks of "work" - was happy that game took place?

They had 6500 fans show up in a stadium that holds 21,000. Pretty impressive. Best postseason in all of sports. Such tradition, such pageantry.

Back