Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Oops "Good Guy With A Gun" shoots Bad Guy and other Good Guys

Michchamp

That's Texas for you... Link:

Witnesses reported seeing Pearson approach a man and rob him at gunpoint, according to investigators. Police said as the suspect walked away, one of two brothers who witnessed the alleged crime, pulled out a gun and pointed it at Pearson.

Both parties started firing. That's when police said a fourth gunman, who hasn't been identified, came out of a music studio inside a nearby strip mall and started firing toward Pearson and the brothers.

HPD said all three men were hit, but it?s still unclear who was shot by whom.

The robbery victim was unharmed. Brothers Jetory and Kehlon Wills drove to a nearby business and called 9-1-1. They were then taken to the hospital by paramedics.

Jatory, 36, died at the Ben Taub General Hospital and his brother remains in unknown condition, police said.

Good thing all these guys had guns... Now instead of just a robbery, multiple people were shot, and one guy died. Not sure how any sane person could think more guns will result in a more peaceful society.

Well, the two brothers chose to pull their guns and get involved - they knew the potential consequences.

The guy who was robbed probably didn’t have a gun himself.

I didn’t read the link, just what you copy pasted. It didn’t say what Pearson’s condition is.

Good no bystanders were hit.

Saying “if nobody was armed” about Texans is like saying “if unicorns farted rainbows.”

I don’t know what intimidation Pearson would have used if he didn’t have a gun.

Ballistics will ID the source-guns. And the threshold of a “peaceful society” has long been crossed, firearms notwithstanding.

The robbery victim was unharmed. Brothers Jetory and Kehlon Wills drove to a nearby business and called 9-1-1. They were then taken to the hospital by paramedics.

Jatory, 36, died at the Ben Taub General Hospital and his brother remains in unknown condition, police said.

Which one is it?

Also interesting no other news source is reporting this yet....

Which one is it?

Also interesting no other news source is reporting this yet....

You think they're making the story up? I mean, I know it's not random youtube video, but the article has a mug shot of the suspect attached, easily verifiable facts, and is being reported by the city's CBS affiliate.

Witnesses reported seeing Pearson approach a man and rob him at gunpoint, according to investigators. Police said as the suspect walked away, one of two brothers who witnessed the alleged crime, pulled out a gun and pointed it at Pearson.

Both parties started firing. That's when police said a fourth gunman, who hasn't been identified, came out of a music studio inside a nearby strip mall and started firing toward Pearson and the brothers.

HPD said all three men were hit, but it?s still unclear who was shot by whom.

Good thing all these guys had guns... Now instead of just a robbery, multiple people were shot, and one guy died. Not sure how any sane person could think more guns will result in a more peaceful society.

There is also the possibility that those two brothers saved the robbery victim's life. They are heroes ;)

There is also the possibility that those two brothers saved the robbery victim's life. They are heroes ;)

Maybe, but the article reported - and I quoted above - that the suspect was already walking away.

seems illogical to think that after he got his money and started to flee the scene of the crime he committed, he'd return, in front of witnesses, and commit a murder. But sure, maybe.

Maybe there is surveillance video. When 5G is up and operational and universal, there will no longer be a need for eye witnesses.

Last edited:
Maybe, but the article reported - and I quoted above - that the suspect was already walking away.

seems illogical to think that after he got his money and started to flee the scene of the crime he committed, he'd return, in front of witnesses, and commit a murder. But sure, maybe.

didn't read that. I guess the only positive outcome, there is one fewer gun-toting Texan in Houston.

didn't read that. ...

Oh, that's okay. I know reading enough to understand something, even when yours truly thoughtfully cut-and-pasted a shorter passage to save everyone time, is sometimes difficult in this day and age of the facebooks and the tweeting, and what have you...

HPD said all three men were hit, but it’s still unclear who was shot by whom.

great anecdote. You've been talking about this for years and you finally found one story that almost fits your nightmare scenario of innocent bystanders getting mowed down in large numbers - not quite as this seems to be a case where a bad guy w/ a gun shot some good guys with guns and killed one of them. In that time, how many stories have we read about where a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy? Still, if this doesn't prove we should disarm society and create an entire population of potential victims, I don't know what will.

Last edited:
great anecdote. ...
thanks! glad you enjoyed reading it.

. In that time, how many stories have we read about where a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy?

I don't know, do you?

Still, if this doesn't prove we should disarm society and create an entire population of potential victims, I don't know what will.

Who wants to do that? I own guns, enjoy shooting recreationally, and I don't want anyone to take them away. But if I didn't own guns, I don't think this would make me a "potential victim."

Leaving a laptop in open view on the front seat of my car with the windows down, the windows of my home open when I'm not there, or carelessly using my credit card on dodgy internet sites would do far more to make me a "potential victim" than not having a gun.

thanks! glad you enjoyed reading it.

I don't know, do you?

including justified shootings by police? I don't, but it's enough that it's abundantly clear you're wrong and your fears of an armed society are unjustified.

Who wants to do that? I own guns, enjoy shooting recreationally, and I don't want anyone to take them away. But if I didn't own guns, I don't think this would make me a "potential victim."

Leaving a laptop in open view on the front seat of my car with the windows down, the windows of my home open when I'm not there, or carelessly using my credit card on dodgy internet sites would do far more to make me a "potential victim" than not having a gun.

Obviously, being foolishly negligent with your personal property increases your odds of being a victim or some form of crime so I recommend you not do those things.

But it's not the probability that matters so much as the outcome of being the victim of certain types of crime. For example, having your laptop stolen and being shot or stabbed and possibly killed by an armed assailant are considerably different levels of victimhood. And even when you're being careless with your personal property, the probability of being a victim of theft go down considerably when criminals know they may be confronted by an armed home/auto owner.

And to make your point even more obviously foolish, why should we have to choose or be satisfied that our laptop is safe but we are not? Personally, I think we should be able lock our doors, secure our valuables, avoid dodgy websites and own and even carry a gun.

Last edited:
And to make your point even more obviously foolish, why should we have to choose or be satisfied that our laptop is safe but we are not? Personally, I think we should be able lock our doors, secure our valuables, avoid dodgy websites and own and even carry a gun.

you've got a strawman assembly line going in this thread

you've got a strawman assembly line going in this thread

That's not a strawman. You literally just wrote a post citing the greater likelihood of being victim of nonviolent crime as a reason why carrying a gun isn't necessary - that's a strawman argument. It's not a strawman when someone makes a direct response to your strawman - if you don't recall posting it, see my response where I quoted you.

Last edited:
That's not a strawman. You literally just wrote a post citing the greater likelihood of being victim of nonviolent crime as a reason why carrying a gun isn't necessary - that's a strawman argument. It's not a strawman when someone makes a direct response to your strawman - if you don't recall posting it, see my response where I quoted you.

Yes, I should never have responded to the first strawman, I guess.

Yes, I should never have responded to the first strawman, I guess.

what you probably shouldn't have done is start this thread with a strawman - there's no evidence yet, at least not in the article you posted, to indicate the good guys with guns were shot by other good guys with guns. the next thing you shouldn't have done is accuse someone of making strawman arguments when they're debunking your strawman arguments.

Back