Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Oops "Good Guy With A Gun" shoots Bad Guy and other Good Guys

Wait?what?

That?s not my understanding at all of what happened at the OK corral; that the Earps and Doc Holiday shot themselves and a bunch of innocents got caught in the crossfire.

I love the story of Tombstone and the OK corral; so much that I literally took a side trip once to visit it - and it ain?t the easiest place to get to.

I don?t have a problem with good guys with guns - just don?t be a cowboy. Stand down until there?s imminent grave danger directly in front of you.

are you accusing me of making an ahistorical reference or worse, revising history? I've seen Tombstone at least 5 times, so I'm well aware of what actually happened at the OK Corral (wink emoji). I believe the reference has taken on new meaning in the late 20th and early 21st century and is often used to refer to a chaotic melee of people wildly shooting at each other without knowing who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. Sometimes historical accuracy has to take a back seat to the agenda.

Last edited:
are you accusing me of making an ahistorical reference or worse, revising history? I've seen Tombstone at least 5 times, so I'm well aware of what actually happened at the OK Corral (wink emoji). I believe the reference has taken on new meaning in the late 20th and early 21st century and is often used to refer to a chaotic melee of people wildly shooting at each other without knowing who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. Sometimes historical accuracy has to take a back seat to the agenda.

Right.

I don?t like the idiom is all.

I?m an OK Corral purist.

Like my friend byco, I really actually made the trip there.

Right.

I?m an OK Corral purist.

Events I would have liked to witness in person.

3. OK Corral
2. JFK Assassination
1. The Passion

Last edited:
Events I would have liked to witness in person.

3. OK Corral
2. JFK Assassination
1. The Passion

You would be disappointed. Better to go with the Hollywood versions as tinsel suggests.

I remember when I first heard audio of the real General Patton speak; his whiny nasally voice was nothing like George C. Scott's gruff baritone.

You would be disappointed. Better to go with the Hollywood versions as tinsel suggests.

I remember when I first heard audio of the real General Patton speak; his whiny nasally voice was nothing like George C. Scott's gruff baritone.

Not so sure about that.

Because in order to really do it?would make one a time traveler.

Might be cool.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h8fOAJHAH80

Maybe not so much.

Right.

I?m an OK Corral purist.

The Gunfight at OK Corral is perhaps one of three events that I would liked to have seen in person.

The Gunfight at OK Corral is perhaps one of three events that I would liked to have seen in person.

Looking it up, the post OK Corral Earp Vendetta Ride, which included participants from both sides of the shootout at the OK Corral, more represents the mayhem our friend SpartanMack described in post #61 that idiomatically has come to be associated with the shootout at the OK Corral itself.

It seems different law enforcement agencies deputized members of both sides to hunt the other side down - now, that is some Wild West stuff, right there!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ynKoZD-sFi4

I disagree.

Hollywood lies. Or skews the truth, which is the same thing. It also shows us what?s really happening before our eyes and we are too blind to recognize it.

Looking it up, the post OK Corral Earp Vendetta Ride, which included participants from both sides of the shootout at the OK Corral, more represents the mayhem our friend SpartanMack described in post #61 that idiomatically has come to be associated with the shootout at the OK Corral itself.

It seems different law enforcement agencies deputized members of both sides to hunt the other side down - now, that is some Wild West stuff, right there!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ynKoZD-sFi4

So as a purist, you'd prefer someone pushing the 'too many legal guns in America' narrative/agenda to use a more specific reference like "It would be like Tombstone and the surrounding region in the aftermath of the shootout at the OK Corral?"

It's an uphill battle, like getting people to stop calling tissues "kleenexes" but worth a shot. I for one, will do my best.

Last edited:
So as a purist, you'd prefer someone pushing the 'too many legal guns in America' narrative/agenda to use a more specific reference like "It would be like Tombstone and the surrounding region in the aftermath of the shootout at the OK Corral?"

It's an uphill battle, like getting people to stop calling tissues "kleenexes" but worth a shot. I for one, will do my best.

?Earp Vendetta Ride.?

?What?s that??

?Remember from Tombstone after the shootout when Wyatt told that guy ?tell ?em the law is comin?tell I?m comin?and I?m bringin? Hell with me?? then he and Doc Holliday hunted all those guys down? It?s that.?

?Oh, okay got it. Now I get it. Makes sense. I?ll remember that. Earp Vendetta Ride. That?s what I?ll call it from now on.?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJFrwLl6HU

Last edited:
?Earp Vendetta Ride.?

?What?s that??

?Remember from Tombstone after the shootout when Wyatt told that guy ?tell ?em the law is comin?tell I?m comin?and I?m bringin? Hell with me?? then he and Doc Holliday hunted all those guys down? It?s that.?

?Oh, okay got it. Now I get it. Makes sense. I?ll remember that. Earp Vendetta Ride. That?s what I?ll call it from now on.?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJFrwLl6HU

Shorter, for sure but may be too purposeful and not convey the chaos people are meant to understand by the reference. Thats a great scene with fantastic dialogue but this is my favorite line from that part of the movie?

https://youtu.be/LRVhtVCfzo8

Shorter, for sure but may be too purposeful and not convey the chaos people are meant to understand by the reference. Thats a great scene with fantastic dialogue but this is my favorite line from that part of the movie?

https://youtu.be/LRVhtVCfzo8

Maybe.

Everyone has heard of the OK. Corral.

Not everyone had seen the movie Tombstone, let alone as many times as you and I have.

That said, it was only today I learned that the historic event, depicted in the latter part of the film has its own historic moniker.

So when next time you use the OK Corral as an analogy for a chaotic event, I will concede that it?s a settled idiom.

it was pretty good, but I don't like Kevin Costner.

I have read that Kurt Russell and Kevin Costner are famously known to enjoy pranking each other. I?m driving now and there are police cars around so I?ll try to find a link when I am stopped next.

Maybe.

Everyone has heard of the OK. Corral.

Not everyone had seen the movie Tombstone, let alone as many times as you and I have.

That said, it was only today I learned that the historic event, depicted in the latter part of the film has its own historic moniker.

So when next time you use the OK Corral as an analogy for a chaotic event, I will concede that it?s a settled idiom.

I could be mistaken about which thread it was, but I was just responding to the use to another poster who used the reference in prior anti-gun rants. At least I believe I was, but I'm too lazy to try to dig up the original reference. If I'm mistaken, my bad. For the record, I hate when people say they're going to xerox something, or they need a kleenex so in the future, I will make the effort to refer the "general chaos in the greater Tombstone area subsequent and somewhat related to the shootout at the OK Corral" (or something along those lines) when pushing my gun control narrative because as you and Byco have clearly established, the shootout itself was not a scene of mass confusion where everyone with a gun just started shooting at whoever (or is it whomever) they thought were the bad guys.

Wyatt Earp was good but it's a distant second to Tombstone in my book. Open Range would be my favorite Costner western. "You the one that killed our friend?"

Last edited:
Back