Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Other Games Week 10

Or endure and determine over a few seasons the relationship between NIL and success on the field. NIL sure undermines ?The Team, The Team, The Team? that is memorialized in the Michigan Stadium tunnel.

I look at it this way: it was always a bit of a scam to generate money from an "amateur" sport, but it wasn't an egregious slogan back in those days, when football coaches made $100k/year tops. Which was not way out of line from what professors, heads of public agencies, doctors, lawyers, etc. - i.e. educated people who provided things the public needed - made... and not way outside what a typical middle class family earned.

But in this day and age, it's indefensible.

If we wanted to truly embrace the ethos behind "The Team, The Team, The Team" we would've gone the route UChicago did with their athletics.

We should allow NIL money, and should allow these players to get paid, and stop living the fiction that a BGS from Michigan is fair compensation for the hundreds of millions of dollars they generate, the wear and tear on their bodies, and the substantial time they spend practicing, lifting, traveling and at team meetings

I used to be in agreement with all you just said. Then Bama, OSU, Clemson, USC, and others began scamming the system illegally.

Now the NIL opens the door to pay players legally. That in no way tarnished UM, but I they fail to embrace it then they will never achieve a single Big 10 championship when OSU, MSU, PSU, and other schools do embrace the legal paying of players. In that scenario, UM becomes a bottom team, not even a middling team. Might as well leave the Big 10 and join the Ivy League at that point.

To each their own. If that is your preference, I cannot convince you otherwise.

Personally, I want UM to embrace and go full throttle on NIL. Before OSU began paying players, UM was able to beat them regularly. Tressel began getting people to pay players and since then UM has not done shit against them.

Let the money flow and change that scenario. Do I like where it is heading? No. I think it is absolutely wrong. But if it is no longer against the rules, then leverage the new environment to one's advantage.

If NIL is ever overturned or changed, then go back to following those new rules.

Ivy League? Maybe the Patriot League. :)

NIL like all the other "progress" made over the las 25+ years is just going to make it worse. I stopped watching professional sports long ago - it all started with ESPN filling air time with garbage content (human interest crap, contract negotiations, marketing and now politics). It doesn't help that sports journalists are now themselves ego maniacs - there's nothing more unwatchable than Steven A Smith - Skip Bayless, Shannon Sharp, Bob Costas, Brent Musburger, Max Kellerman, etc are all just as bad. Twitter, instagram and whatever else have only made it worse.

Now it's infecting college sports as well and I'm watching less and less as a result. Some of that is because I have young kids and am busy, but I don't really miss watching 3 or 4 CFB games every Saturday knowing at least 3 of the 4 of playoff teams are already known by week 4 or sooner. When my kids are older and off to college, I doubt I'll fill that time watching games or listening to sports talk radio.

Last edited:
"No one is responding" in his 15th response in the thread. Didn't even need to go the MSU board on Saturday night to get these losers worked up. Just posted in here facts about how their scumbag LB was headhunting the Purdue QB since he plays for a scumbag program led by a scumbag coach and they can't stay away.

1 of those 15 (assuming that's accurate) was a response to you and it was to make fun of you.

dear diary, today i won the internets again owning Spartan fans. Our team is better and they know it and it's proved by the fact that they beat us (again). Love, bphil.

Last edited:
I look at it this way: it was always a bit of a scam to generate money from an "amateur" sport, but it wasn't an egregious slogan back in those days, when football coaches made $100k/year tops. Which was not way out of line from what professors, heads of public agencies, doctors, lawyers, etc. - i.e. educated people who provided things the public needed - made... and not way outside what a typical middle class family earned.

But in this day and age, it's indefensible.

If we wanted to truly embrace the ethos behind "The Team, The Team, The Team" we would've gone the route UChicago did with their athletics.

We should allow NIL money, and should allow these players to get paid, and stop living the fiction that a BGS from Michigan is fair compensation for the hundreds of millions of dollars they generate, the wear and tear on their bodies, and the substantial time they spend practicing, lifting, traveling and at team meetings

With TV money now and the amount of money the school is generating it's ridiculous to not let these kids get a slice. They don't have the time to get a job and even when they do I'm sure they have to jump through hoops to prove that it's not an illegal benefit where they're getting paid $1000/hr to do nothing.

I also believe that there is still the vast majority of the kids that play D1 college FB are doing it to get a free education. There are thousands more that have NFL dreams but never make it and benefit from and appreciate their free education and all of the resources that they had (tutors, extensions, outright cheating etc) that "normal" students don't have access to.

NIL is a great middle ground. I have no idea what Hassan Haskins' NFL career will look like. But I bet he's making good money from NIL right now. And to all the stodgy "well they're getting an education" folks out there. That may be true, but nobody is telling you to cap your earnings at 35-50k/year, so stop telling these kids that are breaking their bodies for your entertainment that they can't make 5% off of their jersey sales.

Still responding. Still salty. Still missing the point. MSU won, UM is the better team.

And UM will always be the better program.

Still responding. Still salty. Still missing the point. MSU won, UM is the better team.

And UM will always be the better program.

Since others brought it up, I think we were the better team in 2015 as well.

that MSU team was one of the luckiest I've ever seen, all the way up until they played Bama and lost 38-0. They had no business being there, and if Blake O'Neill had just fallen on the damn ball, they wouldn't have been.

And they followed up their Playoff loss by going 3-9 (1-8 in conference) in 2016. What kind of garbage is that? Has a legitimately good team ever followed up a championship season - with the same coach at the helm - by going 3-9? If it hadn't been for Rutgers, they would've been dead last in the conference

Ivy League? Maybe the Patriot League. :)

NIL like all the other "progress" made over the las 25+ years is just going to make it worse. I stopped watching professional sports long ago - it all started with ESPN filling air time with garbage content (human interest crap, contract negotiations, marketing and now politics). It doesn't help that sports journalists are now themselves ego maniacs - there's nothing more unwatchable than Steven A Smith - Skip Bayless, Shannon Sharp, Bob Costas, Brent Musburger, Max Kellerman, etc are all just as bad. Twitter, instagram and whatever else have only made it worse.

Now it's infecting college sports as well and I'm watching less and less as a result. Some of that is because I have young kids and am busy, but I don't really miss watching 3 or 4 CFB games every Saturday knowing at least 3 of the 4 of playoff teams are already known by week 4 or sooner. When my kids are older and off to college, I doubt I'll fill that time watching games or listening to sports talk radio.

Yeah, I remember really enjoying ESPN back in the days of Berman and Patrick. Then all these BS talk shows started coming into the mix.

IMO, it was part of the times that started when MTV began doing their BS "Real World". I just wanted to enjoy some Headbangers Ball and videos in general playing in the background, same with listening to ESPN. When something caught my attention I would give it my focus, but it was just kind of nice to have the channel on while doing laundry, making meals, etc.

It's also why I prefer recording games and start watching them roughly during the time when the actual 3rd quarter is happening. I can fast forward commercials and between play BS, halftime, and catch up with about 5 minutes remaining in the game to see the end in Real Time. Saves me time and my ears and brain hurt less from listening to the BS.

Yeah, I remember really enjoying ESPN back in the days of Berman and Patrick. Then all these BS talk shows started coming into the mix.

IMO, it was part of the times that started when MTV began doing their BS "Real World". I just wanted to enjoy some Headbangers Ball and videos in general playing in the background, same with listening to ESPN. When something caught my attention I would give it my focus, but it was just kind of nice to have the channel on while doing laundry, making meals, etc.

It's also why I prefer recording games and start watching them roughly during the time when the actual 3rd quarter is happening. I can fast forward commercials and between play BS, halftime, and catch up with about 5 minutes remaining in the game to see the end in Real Time. Saves me time and my ears and brain hurt less from listening to the BS.

I miss the days of the George Michael's Sports Machine - once a week, full show of just highlights and on field stories. It's not just ESPN - the leagues bare a ton of responsibility as well. Things like free agency, lockouts, analytics, the shift, strong arming cities to build their stadiums, cities dumb enough to build them etc, etc contributed to my loss of interest as well. It used to be that people were arm chair quarterbacks discussing last night's game. Now everyone is an arm chair GM/manger/coach/Owner/President of Basektball/Football/Whatever Operations/PR Expert and they waste countless hours listening to and calling into sports talk radio.

As for college, I enjoyed it a lot more when only the independents cared about the meaningless NC decided by biased and useless writers. Give me back a Big 10 with 10 teams competing for the Big 10 Championship and let the sports writers do their circle jerk over a meaningless NC all they want.

Last edited:
Since others brought it up, I think we were the better team in 2015 as well.

that MSU team was one of the luckiest I've ever seen, all the way up until they played Bama and lost 38-0. They had no business being there, and if Blake O'Neill had just fallen on the damn ball, they wouldn't have been

Why does every UM player named Blake gotta shit the bed against MSU? Corum dropped a sure touchdown this year.

what would you like to wager that uofm loses complete control of the destiny they already don't control this weekend?

edit: keep in mind @ psu is road game against a ranked opponent...

You seemed sure enough about this to take Penn St.

presumably you lost money last weekend.

You seemed sure enough about this to take Penn St.

presumably you lost money last weekend.

I don't really watch sports anymore other than MSU football and basketball so I don't gamble on them anymore either. Good thing bphil has no balls because I was able to root for uofm without feeling conflicted. I was happy about the outcome but the better team took the L, there's no doubt about that.

I don't really watch sports anymore other than MSU football and basketball so I don't gamble on them anymore either. Good thing bphil has no balls because I was able to root for uofm without feeling conflicted. I was happy about the outcome but the better team took the L, there's no doubt about that.

yeah, sure.

FWIW (not much) I watched 5 minutes of MSU-MD and OSU-PU. Then I played my guitar for an hour.

I don't play guitar and usually I wouldn't have time to anyway but this weekend was an exception so I spent the extra leisure time watching most of the uofm/psu game.

We have used Fender electric (forget the model but the guy who sold it to me described it as a good starter guitar) that we bought a few years ago to give to my son for Christmas but we realized he was too young at the time. He has since seen it in the basement several times so it doesn't make for much of a surprise. i've thought about taking it up but haven't had the time. We'll probably just give it to him and get him some lessons to at some point. Hopefully he'll enjoy it and really take to it.

Last edited:
Back