Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Other Games Week 10

Michigan is a better team than MSU and deserves to be ranked higher in the polls. And wouldn't you know, they are ranked higher in the CFP. I suppose it's easy to say that stating facts like there's no way that TD should have been taken off the board (which it appears that the league acknowledged to be a true statement) makes your program look soft when you're the beneficiary of lousy officiating. That's a hell of a lot easier than admitting that without the officials you would have lost.

"A week ago, it was discussed that Michigan might be the more complete team; offensively, defensively, every statistic Michigan is ahead of Michigan State," Barta said on the ESPN rankings show. "But the committee certainly gave [Michigan State] the nod. They were undefeated and they beat Michigan head-to-head. What's different a week later? Michigan won, Michigan State lost. The discussion in the room went back and forth, but at the end of the day we felt as a committee that Michigan was a better team."

Source:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ayoff-top-four-joining-georgia-alabama-oregon

There are plenty of alums who could do it. UM produces its fair share of business owners. And with the NIL, none need to be sleazy.

And the national fan base is why the Marketing is more attractive. Their national following is strong enough that Shoelace was on the cover of NCAA Football 14 after UM went 7-6 (3-5 in Big 10) in 2013, not to mention he was not the best player in college or pros. So, why was he selected? The power and influence of the Michigan brand in the world of Marketing.

There is zero reason UM should not be the Leaders and Best in the NIL field of play which directly equates to the football field. No school should be capable of offering more money through NIL than UM.

Not an advocate of buying college-age players for the sake of winning championships that are engineered by a random committee of people. A ?national championship or bust? end game diminishes the entire season and the careers of these young men chasing ghosts. The alleged purpose of Michigan football is to build a collection of men who make the world a better place to live. I don?t see how signing kids to endorse brands fits into that ideal. To me, it subverts it. JMHO

Last edited:
600 total yards given up against Purdue. Doesn't look like that team is in control of Jack shit.

"A week ago, it was discussed that Michigan might be the more complete team; offensively, defensively, every statistic Michigan is ahead of Michigan State," Barta said on the ESPN rankings show. "But the committee certainly gave [Michigan State] the nod. They were undefeated and they beat Michigan head-to-head. What's different a week later? Michigan won, Michigan State lost. The discussion in the room went back and forth, but at the end of the day we felt as a committee that Michigan was a better team."

Source:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ayoff-top-four-joining-georgia-alabama-oregon

According to the ?Committee of 12? (or whatever the number, which might be 300) the M-MSU 6-7 debate was the most involved and longest. Apparently, head-to-head results have equal weight to other factors, like SOS, other ?important? metrics (whatever they are) and, also I hesitate to judge before all the facts are in, losing by 11 on the road to an unranked team is more egregious than losing to a top-five team on the road by the margin of a reversed TD. Or so it seems. This week, anyway.

According to the ?Committee of 12? (or whatever the number, which might be 300) the M-MSU 6-7 debate was the most involved and longest. Apparently, head-to-head results have equal weight to other factors, like SOS, other ?important? metrics (whatever they are) and, also I hesitate to judge before all the facts are in, losing by 11 on the road to an unranked team is more egregious than losing to a top-five team on the road by the margin of a reversed TD. Or so it seems. This week, anyway.

300 would be favorable to the Spartans.

You're arguing with my comment about leading "the entire time" by bringing up meaningless stats and quibbling with whether "the entire time" covers our first three and out... well congrats! technically you're correct.

Here's the espn report. So We took a 7-0 lead on our 2nd possession of the game, and didn't relinquish the lead until the muffed punt return TD with 0:00 left on the clock.

This is hilarious - first you attempt to dismiss statistics as quibbling and then you link to the same source I used but your maize colored lenses won't allow you to see the facts or you simply ignore what those statistics actually indicate, which is that it was anyone's game the entire way. Thanks for providing the link that makes the point I already made.

the only meaningless stat in this conversation is the one that indicates how long uofm had the lead before they lost the game. MSU was outplaying uofm but trailed for a while, that happens sometimes - in the end, the better team won, just like this year.

Last edited:
From the archives: Link

I can still not look at this play; very likely because I ?obliquely? forecasted it a few minutes before it occurred.

Last edited:
Not an advocate of buying college-age players for the sake of winning championships that are engineered by a random committee of people. A ?national championship or bust? end game diminishes the entire season and the careers of these young men chasing ghosts. The alleged purpose of Michigan football is to build a collection of men who make the world a better place to live. I don?t see how signing kids to endorse brands fits into that ideal. To me, it subverts it. JMHO

I used to be in agreement with all you just said. Then Bama, OSU, Clemson, USC, and others began scamming the system illegally.

Now the NIL opens the door to pay players legally. That in no way tarnished UM, but I they fail to embrace it then they will never achieve a single Big 10 championship when OSU, MSU, PSU, and other schools do embrace the legal paying of players. In that scenario, UM becomes a bottom team, not even a middling team. Might as well leave the Big 10 and join the Ivy League at that point.

To each their own. If that is your preference, I cannot convince you otherwise.

Personally, I want UM to embrace and go full throttle on NIL. Before OSU began paying players, UM was able to beat them regularly. Tressel began getting people to pay players and since then UM has not done shit against them.

Let the money flow and change that scenario. Do I like where it is heading? No. I think it is absolutely wrong. But if it is no longer against the rules, then leverage the new environment to one's advantage.

If NIL is ever overturned or changed, then go back to following those new rules.

I used to be in agreement with all you just said. Then Bama, OSU, Clemson, USC, and others began scamming the system illegally.

Now the NIL opens the door to pay players legally. That in no way tarnished UM, but I they fail to embrace it then they will never achieve a single Big 10 championship when OSU, MSU, PSU, and other schools do embrace the legal paying of players. In that scenario, UM becomes a bottom team, not even a middling team. Might as well leave the Big 10 and join the Ivy League at that point.

To each their own. If that is your preference, I cannot convince you otherwise.

Personally, I want UM to embrace and go full throttle on NIL. Before OSU began paying players, UM was able to beat them regularly. Tressel began getting people to pay players and since then UM has not done shit against them.

Let the money flow and change that scenario. Do I like where it is heading? No. I think it is absolutely wrong. But if it is no longer against the rules, then leverage the new environment to one's advantage.

If NIL is ever overturned or changed, then go back to following those new rules.

personally, I don't think Tressel started it. But I think he was the first OSU coach to fully endorse it and turn a blind eye to all the sleazy people hanging around his players. prior to him, I think OSU coaches were decent enough to maintain some standards and some pretense to sportsmanship (I guess that's ultimately why they kept getting fired...)

I recall reading a story of woody hayes facing down OSU boosters and telling them he'd mortgage his house to pay scholarships himself if they tried telling him who to recruit and how.

Or endure and determine over a few seasons the relationship between NIL and success on the field. NIL sure undermines ?The Team, The Team, The Team? that is memorialized in the Michigan Stadium tunnel.

Gotta love Sparty. Trying to say that the better team won on one of the flukiest plays in the history of CFB because they dominated the stat line and literally in the same breath saying that was the same as this year when all the stats he used to justify his argument about 2015 say the exact opposite about this year. Not to mention, you know, the final margin was taken off the board in error. And by in error I mean the conference has acknowledged that the ruling on the field should not have been overturned.

Go ahead. Keep pounding your chest. And then turn around and get your ass pounded by a team in the middle of the pack in the B1G west.

This thread has completely fallen apart. I was doing just fine trolling Sparty fans with ridiculous shit and people had to go and start having real conversations. I'm almost positive the one loser punched a hole in his mom's basement wall.

where "trolling" = realizing no one is responding to your two week long whiny tantrum so now you're claiming you've been trolling all along - except no one is taking the bait. People are just laughing at you.

"No one is responding" in his 15th response in the thread. Didn't even need to go the MSU board on Saturday night to get these losers worked up. Just posted in here facts about how their scumbag LB was headhunting the Purdue QB since he plays for a scumbag program led by a scumbag coach and they can't stay away.

Or endure and determine over a few seasons the relationship between NIL and success on the field. NIL sure undermines ?The Team, The Team, The Team? that is memorialized in the Michigan Stadium tunnel.

Bo did plenty on his own to undermine "The Team, The Team, The Team".

Back