Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Other Games Week 2

It takes a special kind of incompetence to find ways to lose close games EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

I don't get how he does it. It's the same guy the had UCF going undefeated 2 straight years and beating LSU in a bowl game. Now he has a blue blood program losing to sun belt teams. And last year he did it with an 8th year starter at QB

But fuck that guy. Couldn't have happened to a better guy. Except maybe urban or tressell.

I don't get how he does it. It's the same guy the had UCF going undefeated 2 straight years and beating LSU in a bowl game. Now he has a blue blood program losing to sun belt teams. And last year he did it with an 8th year starter at QB

But fuck that guy. Couldn't have happened to a better guy. Except maybe urban or tressell.

Nice.

Let?s hope they hire then fire both of those assholes.

There's so much in coaching football that's up to chance, you really can't judge a coach until he's had several seasons under his belt (like more than 2-3 with the same talent), or won in different places and at different levels.

I think at UCF he was a bigger fish in a smaller pond, and also at a school that was willing to shell out more to win then their competitors in that conference (instead of like, building a better library...). He had that really good QB one or both of his years there, didn't he?

Last edited by a moderator:
According to ESPN, Frost gets his full $15MM buyout. And also if they would've waited a couple more weeks (Oct. 1st), the buyout would've dropped to $7.5MM.

What a fucking joke college football is. You get paid better if you fail miserably at your job (unless you're a player, then they treat you like shit and find ways to yank your scholarship)

According to ESPN, Frost gets his full $15MM buyout. And also if they would've waited a couple more weeks (Oct. 1st), the buyout would've dropped to $7.5MM.

What a fucking joke college football is. You get paid better if you fail miserably at your job (unless you're a player, then they treat you like shit and find ways to yank your scholarship)

I know, right?

With NIL and transfer portals, there has never been a worse time to be cursed with such an arbitrarily marketable capability that about only 1 out of 5000 suffer from.

Last edited:

Nebraska is not a blue blood program. They have some tradition but they've been challenged since the late 90s. I don't think they competed for let alone won a Big 12 Championship since 1997 (although, they were clearly the best team in college football that season) and they've continued to be garbage since joining the B1G.

Nebraska is a tiny state in terms of population - a lot of the state outside Lincoln and Omaha play 8 man football in high school. So they have to recruit regionally or nationally. Regionally they're up against Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, OU, Ok St, etc. Nationally, with all the $ that's poured into college football in the last 20 years, lifestyle, TV exposure and literally everything else favors schools not in the middle of nowhere with freezing cold winters and nothing to do.

Also, in today's information age, I think it's a lot harder to recruit less savory characters and fake their eligibility. And it's probably also a lot harder to keep a guy that rapes the same girl twice in a semester (Christian Peters) or a guy that beats his girlfriend, drags her by the hair down the steps and smashes her head against a mailbox (Lawrence Phillips) on your roster than it was in the Osbourne era.

Last edited:
Nebraska is not a blue blood program. They have some tradition but they've been challenged since the late 90s. I don't think they competed for let alone won a Big 12 Championship since 1997 (although, they were clearly the best team in college football that season) and they've continued to be garbage since joining the B1G.

Nebraska is a tiny state in terms of population - a lot of the state outside Lincoln and Omaha play 8 man football in high school. So they have to recruit regionally or nationally. Regionally they're up against Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, OU, Ok St, etc. Nationally, with all the $ that's poured into college football in the last 20 years, lifestyle, TV exposure and literally everything else favors schools not in the middle of nowhere with freezing cold winters and nothing to do.

Also, in today's information age, I think it's a lot harder to recruit less savory characters and fake their eligibility. And it's probably also a lot harder to keep a guy that rapes the same girl twice in a semester (Christian Peters) or a guy that beats his girlfriend, drags her by the hair down the steps and smashes her head against a mailbox (Lawrence Phillips) on your roster than it was in the Osbourne era.

Wow.

You didn?t miss a single target with this one.

Good job.

Wow.

You didn?t miss a single target with this one.

Good job.

like congratulating a 5-year-old for using all the right colors on his "paint-by-numbers" project

Nebraska's been bottom-half population wise for decades. I guess Tom Osborne had a magic wand or something.

They have a big stadium and can still fill it... and no pro-sports to compete with (or other big universities) they have the resources to compete, they've just fucked themselves repeatedly. Firing Bo Pelini when they did was dumb.

LOL @ a spartan talking about "less savory characters". I guess Texas isn't a blue blood because they've been down for 15 years, they just have history.

LOL @ a spartan talking about "less savory characters". I guess Texas isn't a blue blood because they've been down for 15 years, they just have history.

I mean the MSU fanbase firmly believes that college football began in 2008, except for three UM-MSU games played in 1990, 1999, and 2001, so they're probably not the best people to comment on these sort of things.

Nebraska's worst season under Tom Osborne (he coached there from like 1970-1997) was 9-3-1, and they had 10+ wins most of those years. If Nebraska isn't a "Blue Blood" neither is MSU basketball.

Well... MSU basketball isn't, so maybe that's not the best analogy

like congratulating a 5-year-old for using all the right colors on his "paint-by-numbers" project

Nebraska's been bottom-half population wise for decades. I guess Tom Osborne had a magic wand or something.

They have a big stadium and can still fill it... and no pro-sports to compete with (or other big universities) they have the resources to compete, they've just fucked themselves repeatedly. Firing Bo Pelini when they did was dumb.

I thought that throwing shade at our school?s national championship in1997 - the first title in 49 years - was a quality rival razz.

It did cause me to recall that the current Sparty drought has been longer - and that championship was also disputed. I recall from my days as a wee lad in an Ann Arbor that ?old timers? in Ann Arbor would say the other 1966 co-champ was by far the best team in the country - who woulda thunk?

What the hell - 1997 ended with two undefeated teams - Michigan was legitimately undefeated and Nebraska was technically undefeated.

So the split the crown. It wasn?t the first time.

You missed some of those colors. Tom Osborne recruited outside Nebraska during a different era - when there was less TV money, less/different media. He built that program the same way bill McCarty did at Colorado - by bringing in a bunch of thugs and low lifes. Nebraska hasn?t sniffed a conference title in decades. They?re barely an also ran in a division that is second tier to the B1G.

They have a big stadium!!! Wow, that?s huge because that?s something no one else has! I wonder why they can?t recruit like a Blue Blood program. You know, I hear uofm has a pretty big stadium - how come they don?t win more Nattys? Maybe you and geniuses like Bphillips can explain it. Oh wait, you already did - Nebraska who sucked for years before Bo Pellini sucks because they fired Bo Pellini who also sucked. You solved the riddle.

Last edited:

Lol, you?re comparing Texas to Nebraska. Texas has 2 cities with more than 3x the population of Nebaraska and another with 2x as many people. They had their own 24 hour network before the SEC did. Sure they?ve struggled like most major programs have but they?re competing with 3 schools in their own state that have had more success than Nebraska in the last 20 years. it?s insane and really stupid to think Texas is like Nebraska or struggled for the same reasons and/or that they have even remotely similar chances of turning their programs around. Other than a big (but shitty) stadium (like uofm) Lincoln is a podunk dump in the middle of nowhere with nothing to offer. And Texas? stadium is even bigger than Nebraska?s so according to michchamp, they?re way more likely to rebuild to an elite program. In recruiting, Nebraska will be lucky to get the scraps from Texas that OK and Ok St don?t want.

Last edited:
I mean the MSU fanbase firmly believes that college football began in 2008, except for three UM-MSU games played in 1990, 1999, and 2001, so they're probably not the best people to comment on these sort of things.

Nebraska's worst season under Tom Osborne (he coached there from like 1970-1997) was 9-3-1, and they had 10+ wins most of those years. If Nebraska isn't a "Blue Blood" neither is MSU basketball.

Well... MSU basketball isn't, so maybe that's not the best analogy

You think Harbaugh and Bo Pellini are good coaches and the pre-forward pass era still counts - you?re not qualified to opine on the value of other people?s commentary.

And look at you defending Tom Osbourne - a guy who ran one of the dirtiest programs in the history of the game. A guy that makes Barry Switzer and Jimmy Johnson look like choir boys. A guy who was so powerful, cops wouldn?t even bother arresting NU football players because nothing would happen to them.

So let?s check the tape, see if we can?t add some color to that amazing record. Turns out, Nebraska under Osbourne played in the Big 8 for 21 of his 25 year career - the other 7 teams were Kansas, K State, Iowa St, Colorado, Oklahoma State, Missouri and Oklahoma. Musta been real hard to win 9 games against that lineup and a few non conference cupcakes. Keep in mind, he only played Oklahoma once each year and he played Kansas every year BEFORE the Charlie Weiss era. His bowl record is 12-13 - way better than Bo?s 5-12 bowl record but still awful. Maybe that?s why you think Dr. Tom was so great, he has almost 2.5x more bowl wins and only 1 more loss than the ?great? bo schembecler.

Last edited:
I thought that throwing shade at our school?s national championship in1997 - the first title in 49 years - was a quality rival razz.

It did cause me to recall that the current Sparty drought has been longer - and that championship was also disputed. I recall from my days as a wee lad in an Ann Arbor that ?old timers? in Ann Arbor would say the other 1966 co-champ was by far the best team in the country - who woulda thunk?

What the hell - 1997 ended with two undefeated teams - Michigan was legitimately undefeated and Nebraska was technically undefeated.

So the split the crown. It wasn?t the first time.

we actually played that co-champion team head-to-head that year. The rather famous outcome was a 10-10 tie. It's pretty tough to say the other team was "by far" the best team in the country, but I get why they would say that.

I wasn't alive then but my dad (ND '62) took my mom to the game when they were first dating. He'd probably agree with the AA old timers jawboning at the barber shop about which team was better. I don't really care - as I've said before, I don't put much stock in the NC particularly pre-playoff. I've always thought if you won the Big Ten and the Rose Bowl and some sports writers thought another team that didn't play you was the champ, who gives a $h!@?

we actually played that co-champion team head-to-head that year. The rather famous outcome was a 10-10 tie. It's pretty tough to say the other team was "by far" the best team in the country, but I get why they would say that.

I wasn't alive then but my dad (ND '62) took my mom to the game when they were first dating. He'd probably agree with the AA old timers jawboning at the barber shop about which team was better. I don't really care - as I've said before, I don't put much stock in the NC particularly pre-playoff. I've always thought if you won the Big Ten and the Rose Bowl and some sports writers thought another team that didn't play you was the champ, who gives a $h!@?

Yeah, what I said about old timers in Ann Arbor never happened.

I just made that up to take your razz and razz you right back.

Pretty good, huh?

EDIT: I was alive when that famous game happened, but I was too young to be aware of it. I certainly became aware of the legend that became of it, and the stories made me a Bubba Smith fan for life.

That, and this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mu6nVZ6kZ18

Last edited:
Yeah, what I said about old timers in Ann Arbor never happened.

I just made that up to take your razz and razz you right back.

Pretty good, huh?

EDIT: I was alive when that famous game happened, but I was too young to be aware of it. I certainly became aware of the legend that became of it, and the stories made me a Bubba Smith fan for life.

That, and this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mu6nVZ6kZ18

I figured you were probably too young to remember that kind of detail, but understood why you said it and don't doubt that someone actually said it, even if you never heard it - and yes, it was pretty good. I'll check out the video when I'm at home - youtube blocked at work.

I figured you were probably too young to remember that kind of detail, but understood why you said it and don't doubt that someone actually said it, even if you never heard it - and yes, it was pretty good. I'll check out the video when I'm at home - youtube blocked at work.

Maybe someone said it, I don?t know.

I did hear old timers talking about that game. What they remembered was how great Bubba Smith played.

I also remember old timers talking about how great Roger Staubach was at Michigan Stadium in 1963.

Those are my two primary memories of what old timers talked about - Bubba Smith in
the MSU v Notre Dame game in 1966, and Roger Staubach at Michigan Stadium in 1963.

Maybe someone said it, I don?t know.

I did hear old timers talking about that game. What they remembered was how great Bubba Smith played.

I also remember old timers talking about how great Roger Staubach was at Michigan Stadium in 1963.

Those are my two primary memories of what old timers talked about - Bubba Smith in
the MSU v Notre Dame game in 1966, and Roger Staubach at Michigan Stadium in 1963.

There are two themes from that game I hear frequently when it's brought up - the Bubba Smith bit you mentioned and Parseghian calling two run plays then letting the clock run out from his own 30 taking the tie on the road.

Back