Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pacquaio vs Mayweather

Listening to the between around analysis on ESPN was actually probably less boring than watching the fight itself.

At least you got to watch highlights of other sports of the day if you did that.

Sounds like Pacquiao's people are trying to force Floyd into a rematch by making excuses for the loss.

Sounds like Pacquiao's people are trying to force Floyd into a rematch by making excuses for the loss.

Doubt thats the reason. Floyd has already said september will be his last fight.

Sounds to me more like he's angry that he was denied medical needs that USADA was aware of prior to the fight. I think any of us would be mad.

I think this is why people are so upset. For $99 for the pay-per-view, and the cost of a new house to see it live, people wanted Hagler-Hearns. They wanted the bloodbath, the punch fest...

..but that is not the way Mayweather wins, and it never has been. This was actually a pretty active fight for Floyd. In his last two fights he threw a combined 301 jabs, winning both by decision.

In this fight he threw 267 jabs to win by decision, about 100 more than he's averaged recently.

It was a great fight fought by two very smart, very seasoned fighters, who weren't about to step into a donnybrook. But it certainly didn't appeal to the people who haven't seen many Mayweather fights up til now.

Of course people should realize that is the way Floyd fights but I still feel he is not the greatest fighter pound for pound ever.. He is the greatest defensive fighter ever for sure.. But Greatest fighter pound for pound I do not think so.

Your right people should realize when you pay for a FM fight your not going to see a fight but you are going to just see another episode of Dances with the Stars because that is all Floyd ever does... It's Boxing.. We want to see Knockouts or boxers who are not a afraid to mix it up..

Last edited:
Of course people should realize that is the way Floyd fights but I still feel he is not the greatest fighter pound for pound ever.. He is the greatest defensive fighter ever for sure.. But Greatest fighter pound for pound I do not think so.

Your right people should realize when you pay for a FM fight your not going to see a fight but you are going to just see another episode of Dances with the Stars because that is all Floyd ever does... It's Boxing.. We want to see Knockouts or boxers who are not a afraid to mix it up..

I don't think you'd get much argument from most people about your first comment. He doesn't have a "Hearns/Hagler" or "Frazier/Ali" signature fight. Could that be a testament to how good he is? Maybe, but it still hurts him. People like to see champions pushed.

As far as his style goes, I truly think he's been hiding some type of arm injury for the last 5-6 years. He used to get his share of KOs and then they abruptly stopped happening. Seems odd.

My son went to a buddies house to watch it and came home and said it was boring as hell.. I told him to google Hearn's verses Hagler and those were the good old days of boxing.. Mad as hell Tommy lost but man Hagler could take a shot.. I did get to see Hearn's whip Leonard's ass in person in the second fight only for it to be called a draw.. Tommy may have lost some big fights but he sure came to rumble in most of them...
No way I would ever pay 100 bucks on such a defensive fighter like Mayweather.

I was in Vegas this weekend for a golf event and got invited to a house party where they showed the PPV. Like most of you have already said, it was boring as hell with slight edge to Mayweather.

And I agree with Bob about the Hearns-Hagler fight as well as the first Hearns-Leonard fight. Those were both amazing. Very disappointed Tommy lost both of them. I always felt he should have reversed strategies with those fights (should have slugged it out against Leonard and danced and dodged against Hagler).

Last edited:
I was in Vegas this weekend for a golf event and got invited to a house party where they showed the PPV. Like most of you have already said, it was boring as hell with slight edge to Mayweather.

And I agree with Bob about the Hearns-Hagler fight as well as the first Hearns-Leonard fight. Those were both amazing. Very disappointed Tommy lost both of them. I always felt he should have reversed strategies with those fights (should have slugged it out against Leonard and danced and dodged against Hagler).

Yes the first Leonard fight Tommy was ahead on points and had him until he ran out of gas in round 14.. Just a few years before boxing changed to 12 rounds ..

But I was at the second fight between Tommy and Sugar Ray in 1989 that was ruled a draw. Later even Ray himself admitted that Tommy should have gotten the decision.. Good fight though. Tommy knocked Ray down twice.. Sugar Ray was a dancer like Mayweather but if he had to mix it up he would.. He was behind Tommy in the first fight and needed a knockout to win.. Great days of boxing..

Yeah Hagler-Hearns fight was a slugfest. Like Rocky-Apollo. I was always a Leonard fan, so I would root for him. But those were some great fights..

The Floyd fight was amazing and I for one enjoyed the hell out of the fight. It was one of the best times I had in a while hanging out with people. Besides the fight itself it made for a great surroundings with friends, food and drink.

I watch boxing. I knew what this fight was going to bring. I knew it wouldn't be a slug fest, I knew Manny wouldn't be able to land consistent good punches on Floyd. Floyd has a way of making great fighters look average, and average fighters look bad. This was a Floyd fight and it went Floyds way.

Money May is a hell of a boxer to watch. Watching the art of a defensive fighter for 12rds and barley getting touched is impressive. The guy is 38yrs old and the most powerful, fastest and best fighters can't touch him. Call it what you want but it's unbelievable what he's able to do. 48-0 and never once been knocked down.

He's only a defensive fighter when going against men.

Just sayin'.

Back