Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Paris Notre Dame Cathedral on Fire

I never nitpick nor am I ever pedantic.

That said I’m going to nitpick and be pedantic.

What you’re talking about is “freedom,” not “free will,” in the common context in which the term “free will” is understood.

“Free will” is the philosophical opposite of predestination or predetermination; the philosophy that no one actually makes their own decisions themselves but their decisions and actions are predetermined by fate.

Since Notre Dame du Paris represents the overseeing of centuries of evolution in thought within the context of philosophy in Western civilization and culture, I felt it fitting to make this post-both contradicting philosophies have had a significant impact in the history and development of our culture.

I would have waited for our actual board philosopher, Vic, who has a degree in philosophy from Michigan (dual major along with business), to make this point, although, not unlike Chidi, I expect Vic would have spent an inordinate amount of time contemplating the pros and cons of pointing this distinction out.

Oh, and I almost forgot the most important thing - Trump is a cunt nose moron.

Gulo beat me to it ...was going to reply the same ...bravo!!

Completely agree ...Freedom of Speech/Action and Free will are different and honestly, I don't believe in complete Free-will-ism ...too many constraints. That said, I do not believe in Hard Determinism, where every act is pre-determined and that there is no Free will or ability to control any outcome ...Oedipus.

Being raised the son of Episcopal Minister(s), primarily my Mom ...Little Vic has never actually been Baptized. My Catholic-raised but largely 'agnostic spiritual' now wife is worried he will go to Hell if he's never baptized ...when I was his age, I was going through Confirmation as are a few of his Catholic friends right now. We originally wanted my Reverend Mother to perform the Baptism (she did marry my sister and her husband) for our son by baptizing him in river water from the Colorado or Eagle River but now she's beyond being able to do that. I'm not specifically faithful, but I do believe in a form of a spiritual backdrop to life.

As a MICHIGAN Degree holder with a BA in Philosophy and MBA from CU (dual BA in English Lit at UM w/124 credits in the end to get both majors), I have to say Trump is indeed a cunt nosed douche canoe and our son is now old enough to decide if he wishes to be baptized or not.

Last edited:
As a MICHIGAN Degree holder with a BA in Philosophy and MBA from CU (dual BA in English Lit at UM w/124 credits in the end to get both majors), I have to say Trump is indeed a cunt nosed douche canoe and our son is now old enough to decide if he wishes to be baptized or not.

Ha! I always mess with my wife on her philosophy BA to MBA career route. Maybe she ain't half bad after all.

Free will is supernatural. If you think your beliefs are shaped entirely by scientific theory and knowledge, you have no business believing in it.

My Catholic-raised but largely 'agnostic spiritual' now wife is worried he will go to Hell if he's never baptized
Some kid asked the Pope if his father, who was a good man and an atheist, was in heaven and the Pope said God doesn't abandon his children when they are good.

...and our son is now old enough to decide if he wishes to be baptized or not.

I decided that's how I plan to deal with questions of religion and my kids. Bt I also have to be mindful of the fact that they can't avoid situations with religious fanatics like I can, as a private adult. it's especially worse here in the South, where the Christians are all gossipy and nasty.

Need to make sure they learn how to navigate those waters, while also someday growing up to start their own threads making fun of religion on the interwebs

Being Buddhist might be a good approach for a Michigan fan.

Does Buddhism teach the principle of "not caring anymore because college football is hopelessly corrupt AND also horrible for the mental and physical health of the kids playing it?"

Does Buddhism teach the principle of "not caring anymore because college football is hopelessly corrupt AND also horrible for the mental and physical health of the kids playing it?"

The basic tenet of Buddhism is ?desire=anguish? - I think that?s the point Gulo was making.

So I would say the answer to your question is yes.

The basic tenet of Buddhism is ?desire=anguish? - I think that?s the point Gulo was making.

So I would say the answer to your question is yes.

Would be awesome if all Michigan fans shaved their heads, wore Buddhist robes to games, and spent the entire time sitting with their eyes closed, in the lotus position.

Opposing teams would be so freaked out.

Don?t forget the chant nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

That would replace "The Victors" when we scored TDs.

The cheerleaders (also all in robes and shaved heads) would hit a huge gong and wave incense around the field.

All players would be instructed to sit in the lotus position in the end zone after scoring, while their teammates surrounded them chanting.

...I really wish all this was possible. I'd go to more games.

Jesus: "I WILL APPEAR IN THESE FLAAAAAMES AS A SIGN OF HOPE TO MY FOLLOWERS"

Followers watching: "WOW, neato. Say, since you're an all-powerful diety capable of doing miracles, can you help put those flames out? We really like that church. Or since you're here, help feed the poor or end war or something."

Jesus: "NOOOOOOOOOOOO! OF COURSE NOT."

Back