Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Peach Bowl vs Pitt

They were playing against a depleted offense with an interim OC. They got pretty lucky when that interim OC asked their 3rd string quarterback to win the game in regulation when they were already in position to force overtime or at least tie the game with very little time on the clock. And why not, really? They were moving the ball downfield to that point, well into tying FG range with little or no problem. They probably don't call those extra pass plays against close to 75+ defensive secondaries in the country. Haladay made a great play, there's not doubt about that but if that QB doesn't make that mistake, there's a pretty good chance nobody would be defending the Spartan's defensive performance in that game. I'm sticking with the B- at best.

Edit: I do like that they bitzed a corner a few times - only other time I recall seeing that this season was in the uofm game and even then I onlyl remember seeing it on one play. makes sense - if they can't cover, send 'em after the QB, especially a 3rd string with no experience.

We used the Double A gap blitz a lot (A Narduzzi favorite). On the Halladay interception, he went up to the line, faked the blitz and then fell back into coverage, the Pitt QB assumed he was coming and tried to hit the vacated part of the field, good call.

Against the 3rd string QB, there were 10 drives, 8 Punts, one TD and one INT. If we had lost the game, it would have been on the offense and due to being 0-2 in TO's late in the game.

Last edited:
We used the Double A gap blitz a lot (A Narduzzi favorite). On the Halladay interception, he went up to the line, faked the blitz and then fell back into coverage, the Pitt QB assumed he was coming and tried to hit the vacated part of the field, good call.

we showed that look all season long - we probably led the nation in fake LB blitzes. Haladay made a great play but if not for the 3rd string QB and interim OC, that game is likely tied at the end of regulation.

Against the 3rd string QB, there were 10 drives, 8 Punts, one TD and one INT. If we had lost the game, it would have been on the offense and due to being 0-2 in TO's late in the game.

that and the fact their OC left the team before the bowl game is why it's not particularly impressive. If you want to consider that game a step forward for the defense, go ahead but that would be a mistake in my opinion.

Last edited:
The one thing this games proves, is that any heisman voter that didn't have Walker in their top 3 should never be allowed to vote again.

Down 2 starting receivers, Bryce Young didn't look like a guy who won the Heisman with at least 2.4x the votes of any other candidate. Maybe voters should take into account when a QB has 3 NFL caliber receivers to throw to (Young and Stroud come to mind).

Last edited:
we showed that look all season long - we probably led the nation in fake LB blitzes. Haladay made a great play but if not for the 3rd string QB and interim OC, that game is likely tied at the end of regulation.

that and the fact their OC left the team before the bowl game is why it's not particularly impressive. If you want to consider that game a step forward for the defense, go ahead but that would be a mistake in my opinion.

I'm not saying it's a step forward, but the defense did what it should do against at 3rd string QB. Our defense gave up 7 points and scored 7 points.

Down 2 starting receivers, Bryce Young didn't look like a guy who won the Heisman with at least 2.4x the votes of any other candidate. Maybe voters should take into account when a QB has 3 NFL caliber receivers to throw to (Young and Stroud come to mind).

I agree, when you have a ton of NFL caliber players around you it should be taken into account. The Heisman should go to the guy that helped his team the most not the guy with the best stats. MSU losses probably at least 3 more games without Walker.

I'm not saying it's a step forward, but the defense did what it should do against at 3rd string QB. Our defense gave up 7 points and scored 7 points.

I agree with that but to me, doing what you're supposed to do gets you a C+/B- especially considering how it almost ended. When it came down to it, Halladay made a nice play but it looked like they were blowing it up to that point.

Back