Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Peach Bowl vs Pitt

That was shaping up to be a win/win drive. They stop them and they win and if Pitt scored Hazelton would almost certainly be fired. Was kinda hoping for the Pitt score lol

Big win. Offense played terrible for most of the game and came up big at the end. White is a great special teams player.

That was a great finish. Pick 6 and recover a ki koff that was a legit kick, pretty fun way to finish the season for Sparty.

Top 10 finish! Congrats!!! Well deserved!

Clearly got some help from a Pitt implosion but they didn?t quit and pulled out another one - kudos for that. Thorne deserves some credit along with the well deserved criticism but I give way more of the credit to the receivers making adjustments to bad throws. The O-line was probably as bad as Thorne tonight and the play calling was atrocious for a lot of the game. The defense maybe gets a C+/B- but prior to the pick 6 it wasn?t looking too good.

Last edited:
Without Walker it's clear that our strength is our pass catchers. Running the ball 36 times against the nation's 4th ranked run defense makes me worry about Jay Johnson going forward without Walker.

Clearly got some help from a Pitt implosion but they didn?t quit and pulled out another one - kudos for that. Thorne deserves some credit along with the well deserved criticism but I give way more of the credit to the receivers making adjustments to bad throws. The O-line was probably as bad as Thorne tonight and the play calling was atrocious for a lot of the game. The defense maybe gets a C+/B- but prior to the pick 6 it wasn?t looking too good.

I had zero doubt that the defense would hold.

Z - rro.

I had zero doubt that the defense would hold.

Z - rro.

I wish unshared your confidence. They let Pitt convert a couple third and longs and got themselves in a situation where they needed that turnover bc Pitt was within easy FG range. Trying to win in regulation cost them the game.

It bothers me that with all the great kickers we've had in our history, Matt fucking Coghlin is now our all time scorer

I wish unshared your confidence. They let Pitt convert a couple third and longs and got themselves in a situation where they needed that turnover bc Pitt was within easy FG range. Trying to win in regulation cost them the game.

I know, right?

But just look at my post in #24. It was entirely based on my feeling about the ebb and flow of the game had been to that point, and what it would continue to be to the end.

It really wasn?t that long after the scoop six.

That was a fluke. Slowly and surely this Spartans had been starting to take control of the game, as they would continue to do.

It bothers me that with all the great kickers we've had in our history, Matt fucking Coghlin is now our all time scorer

Yeah, I made that point in mid season when he was close - it?s complete BS that he gets that honor because of the extra COVID year. He wouldn?t be top 5 maybe not even top 10 kickers at MSU in terms of talent.

I know, right?

But just look at my post in #24. It was entirely based on my feeling about the ebb and flow of the game had been to that point, and what it would continue to be to the end.

It really wasn?t that long after the scoop six.

That was a fluke. Slowly and surely this Spartans had been starting to take control of the game, as they would continue to do.

Yeah, I?d like to say the defense was really good bc they only gave up 14 pts but they were playing a third string QB with an interim OC and the secondary still looked like a monkey brigade trying to cover and tackle guys.

Really fun season, won 11 games when we were predicted to be last in the Big Ten East. Vegas over under was 4.5 wins.

As for the game, Thorne took a little while to get going, he had a heck of a year and set the MSU record for TD's in a single season, but what we saw was that he's a much better QB with a run game. That play action works a lot better with Walker back there than Jordan Simmons.

We dominated that game in a lot of ways, yardage, total plays, etc, but we were down 2 in the turnover margin for most of the game. It's hard to have a lead down 0-2 in TO's

Clearly got some help from a Pitt implosion but they didn?t quit and pulled out another one - kudos for that. Thorne deserves some credit along with the well deserved criticism but I give way more of the credit to the receivers making adjustments to bad throws. The O-line was probably as bad as Thorne tonight and the play calling was atrocious for a lot of the game. The defense maybe gets a C+/B- but prior to the scoop 6 it wasn?t looking too good.

I think the defense was better that that, we ran about 85 plays to their 55, of those 55 they ran, we had 10 TFL. 274 yards isn't that much and we forced 8 punts (we only punted 3 times all game). Of course they were shorthanded but we did what you should do against a team without their QB. They did score on the first drive with Piatti there, gave up 1 score in 10 other drives without him.

I think the defense was better that that, we ran about 85 plays to their 55, of those 55 they ran, we had 10 TFL. 274 yards isn't that much and we forced 8 punts (we only punted 3 times all game). Of course they were shorthanded but we did what you should do against a team without their QB. They did score on the first drive with Piatti there, gave up 1 score in 10 other drives without him.

They were playing against a depleted offense with an interim OC. They got pretty lucky when that interim OC asked their 3rd string quarterback to win the game in regulation when they were already in position to force overtime or at least tie the game with very little time on the clock. And why not, really? They were moving the ball downfield to that point, well into tying FG range with little or no problem. They probably don't call those extra pass plays against close to 75+ defensive secondaries in the country. Haladay made a great play, there's not doubt about that but if that QB doesn't make that mistake, there's a pretty good chance nobody would be defending the Spartan's defensive performance in that game. I'm sticking with the B- at best.

Edit: I do like that they bitzed a corner a few times - only other time I recall seeing that this season was in the uofm game and even then I onlyl remember seeing it on one play. makes sense - if they can't cover, send 'em after the QB, especially a 3rd string with no experience.

Last edited:
Back