Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pettigrew

Caught the error a while ago, but this point is pretty much spot on, near 0% chance to get rid of Pettigrew this year... Makes no sense unless something unexpected happens

They should use him more in the passing game. He's not worthless there. Only 14 targets is crazy low for him, even when we lacked a number 3 WR and Fauria was hurt most of the year. They signed him, they need to use him and Ebron more in year 2.

I'm a little confused on that too... It's not like they re-signed him before Caldwell/Lombardi joined and he was just a victim of circumstance. They presumably had input and agreed to bring him back with the intent on using him (not for cheap either, my memory may be foggy but I remember he got a generous contract even though there were no rumors of other teams wanting him).

I'm a little confused on that too... It's not like they re-signed him before Caldwell/Lombardi joined and he was just a victim of circumstance. They presumably had input and agreed to bring him back with the intent on using him (not for cheap either, my memory may be foggy but I remember he got a generous contract even though there were no rumors of other teams wanting him).

it doesn't take rocket science to figure out. Caldwell, Lombardi and mayhew are dumb....

it doesn't take rocket science to figure out. Caldwell, Lombardi and mayhew are dumb....

They aren't dumb at all. Oline got injured, Pettigrew blocks more. Two tight end sets, clearly Ebron is going to run the routes, not Pettigrew. Pettigrew missed a game. Some is Pettigrew not getting open (he ran 211 routes, 14 targets).

I'm not really sure what the hate is here. He's a designated blocker that plays that role acceptably. He's not terrible in the passing game like most blocking TEs. He might be overpaid, but he's hardly holding the team back. His contract doesn't last long, he's not making so much money that it's really getting in the way of signing other players. Hell, it hasn't even stopped the team from trying to find an upgrade at the position.

Why hate on a guy that's actually doing his job? This isn't Stafford playing like a journeyman backup at 18 million a year. This isn't Calvin unable to stay healthy at 17 million per year.

I'm not really sure what the hate is here. He's a designated blocker that plays that role acceptably. He's not terrible in the passing game like most blocking TEs. He might be overpaid, but he's hardly holding the team back. His contract doesn't last long, he's not making so much money that it's really getting in the way of signing other players. Hell, it hasn't even stopped the team from trying to find an upgrade at the position.

Why hate on a guy that's actually doing his job? This isn't Stafford playing like a journeyman backup at 18 million a year. This isn't Calvin unable to stay healthy at 17 million per year.

The point is he's not doing his job. At least as effectively as he should. Average blocker with few catches shouldn't be making near the money. And it stings more because we drafted Ebron..

Plus I'd take Calvin at 17m for 12 games over Pettigrew.

Last edited:
The point is he's not doing his job. At least as effectively as he should. Average blocker with few catches shouldn't be making near the money. And it stings more because we drafted Ebron..

Plus I'd take Calvin at 17m for 12 games over Pettigrew.

I guess I just don't understand what you want/expect of him. He's the 20th most expensive TE in the league. 20th. He easily plays as well as the 20th best TE in the league. He's not Graham or Gronk, and never has been. He's also not getting paid like a superstar or star by any means. And it's not like it's his fault that the offense was sh!t last year. He's the fourth or fifth option on most any play he's on the field. That's the scheme. He can't help it if the QB never gets passed his first two reads.

I guess I just don't understand what you want/expect of him. He's the 20th most expensive TE in the league. 20th. He easily plays as well as the 20th best TE in the league. He's not Graham or Gronk, and never has been. He's also not getting paid like a superstar or star by any means. And it's not like it's his fault that the offense was sh!t last year. He's the fourth or fifth option on most any play he's on the field. That's the scheme. He can't help it if the QB never gets passed his first two reads.

I agree on a couple different things here. Stafford cant make a read past 2 guys is accurate. But paying Pettigrew that much for 14 targets is ridiculous. And as mitch has stated.....the oline and pass pro sucked last year.....hes part of that suck.

I agree on a couple different things here. Stafford cant make a read past 2 guys is accurate. But paying Pettigrew that much for 14 targets is ridiculous. And as mitch has stated.....the oline and pass pro sucked last year.....hes part of that suck.

I think the blocking effect of a TE with an otherwise bad line is minimal. He's not meant to be walling off high end DEs every play. Further, the worst part of our line was the interior. Raiola and Sims were downright bad, and Warford was much less effective when playing hurt.

Saying that 14 passes isn't worth what he was paid is putting the cart before the horse. At the time Pettigrew got paid, he was coming off a year of 64 targets and 400 yards. Those aren't great numbers either, but the fact is he was reasonably effective with a heavier workload. The fact that the entire offensive system changed AFTER he was signed isn't his fault. If the coaches never intended to emphasize the TE position, why in the hell did Mayhew sign him at all, why throw a top 10 pick at a TE? Everything from Mayhew's end presumed TE was an important part of the offense. If that was true, Pettigrew would have appeared much more valuable. It wasn't, which is certainly someone's fault, but not Pettigrew's given he could only do what the coaches asked.

Lombardi was hired nearly two months before the Pettigrew re-signing.

I can't help but feel that something broke down in this process, either

- There wasn't clear communication with Mayhew at the time
- There was clear communication but they changed how they wanted to use him prior to the regular season
- There was clear communication and Pettigrew was used as intended
- They simply don't know wtf they're doing (this and the previous point might go together)

Regardless, signings like these don't help the team. Sure it's not for that much money, but it's the principle of the matter, and the culture of the front office. They should be doing everything they can to maximize value per dollar.

For some reason the good blocking TE label has stuck with him for Lions fans since the was said about him coming out of college. Perhaps some PFF stat will prove me incorrect, but I don't see him as a great blocker. I recall seeing him get beat. Part of the reason I watched this was because I was trying to see how they justified the contract, Watching him I wasn't impressed. However, I could be remembering only the bad times, I am a bit bias because I think he isn't worth it.

His receiving was bad too, not much opportunity, but didn't seem to get open. Of course when he did we had our QB try to throw it through the back of the defender to get it to him, so I guess it didn't matter.

Can anyone find anything to support the fact he was indeed a good blocker besides his draft profile?

You can't read past 2 guys when your Oline isn't blocking. Pettigrew ran 211 routes and stayed in 93 times purely pass blocking. Some of those routes I'm sure he chipped or was the last option. Meaning if someone else was open and an earlier option, they probably got the target. Or Pettigrew never got open and didn't deserve the ball.

Pettigrew is not paid a ton. Like was said, 20th highest cap number. It's a team friendly 4 year deal that is really two years. This is year 2 in 2015.

Also you all, as always, fail to factor in the decision at the time. This was prior to Ebron. They didn't know at the time Ebron would fall to them or that they were taking Ebron. This is March 2014. Many more draft meetings until May 2014. Re-signing Pettigrew was the right move so they weren't left high and dry with just Fauria on the roster. And also even if they didn't take Ebron and then they don't re-sign Pettigrew, guess what, we are using 2nd or 3rd on a TE. Say good-bye to Van Noy or Swanson if that's the case.

I don't think Swanson has proved much yet. So far, he looks exactly like his draft profile: lacking strength and athleticism.

As for the good blocking label, I can't find any stats that really get into it. Pettigrew stayed in a lot of the time, and I felt it was rare that he was the reason pressure got to Stafford or the RB couldn't find any holes. The rest of the line (again, especially the interior) often fell apart quickly. He's also a TE. I'm not expecting him to set the edge like Reiff or maul incoming defenders like Warford. Holding his ground against LBs would normally be his job when blocking, and it seems like he's done that well. I could be wrong too, but I don't know where to find the right stats to say for sure.

The main reason why it sucks is because they signed him then proceeded to draft Ebron 10 and threw out the 3 TE set..and we know that didn't happen. I get tired of keeping players past their usefulness. What the hell is Broyles still doing here?

And also even if they didn't take Ebron and then they don't re-sign Pettigrew, guess what, we are using 2nd or 3rd on a TE. Say good-bye to Van Noy or Swanson if that's the case.

So you're saying instead of Ebron and Van Noy

I could have Lewan, Beckham Jr or Aaron Donald with my 1st as well as Jace Amaro with my second. Id do that.

I just don't see the point in being upset with Pettigrew. If you want to be upset at someone, Mayhew/Lombardi seem to be options 1A and 1B. If Lombardi didn't intend to use the TE position for much more than blocking and decoys, why didn't he tell Mayhew not to bring back Pettigrew? We still had Fauria and pure blocking TEs are cheap. If Lombardi had already told Mayhew that TEs would not be featured in the offensive system, why did he spend the 10th pick on a player that wouldn't see the field no matter what?

At the time Pettigrew was signed, it wasn't a bad move. It's become a bad move by compounding errors.

I just don't see the point in being upset with Pettigrew. If you want to be upset at someone, Mayhew/Lombardi seem to be options 1A and 1B. If Lombardi didn't intend to use the TE position for much more than blocking and decoys, why didn't he tell Mayhew not to bring back Pettigrew? We still had Fauria and pure blocking TEs are cheap. If Lombardi had already told Mayhew that TEs would not be featured in the offensive system, why did he spend the 10th pick on a player that wouldn't see the field no matter what?

At the time Pettigrew was signed, it wasn't a bad move. It's become a bad move by compounding errors.

We're not upset because Petti took the money.. Of course it's Mayhew, the destroyer.

You can't read past 2 guys when your Oline isn't blocking. Pettigrew ran 211 routes and stayed in 93 times purely pass blocking. Some of those routes I'm sure he chipped or was the last option. Meaning if someone else was open and an earlier option, they probably got the target. Or Pettigrew never got open and didn't deserve the ball.

Pettigrew is not paid a ton. Like was said, 20th highest cap number. It's a team friendly 4 year deal that is really two years. This is year 2 in 2015.

Also you all, as always, fail to factor in the decision at the time. This was prior to Ebron. They didn't know at the time Ebron would fall to them or that they were taking Ebron. This is March 2014. Many more draft meetings until May 2014. Re-signing Pettigrew was the right move so they weren't left high and dry with just Fauria on the roster. And also even if they didn't take Ebron and then they don't re-sign Pettigrew, guess what, we are using 2nd or 3rd on a TE. Say good-bye to Van Noy or Swanson if that's the case.

Ah yes...ebron.....who ran like a million routes and had like another 14 targets. That ebron?

Back