Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Police & Crime aka Man, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva is so Great

Makes me wonder how Vietnam would have shaken out.

I assume we would have withdrawn sooner than '73, and not bombed Cambodia or had a hand in overthrowing the monarchy there... so a lot more people would be alive. More Americans too.

But we would have sold less bombs & bullets, so... weigh the bad against the good... :no:

I assume we would have withdrawn sooner than '73, and not bombed Cambodia or had a hand in overthrowing the monarchy there... so a lot more people would be alive. More Americans too.

But we would have sold less bombs & bullets, so... weigh the bad against the good... :no:

This is all considering the less-than-certain possibility that Kennedy would have been nominated in 1968. Or then, elected. It seems that his campaign was gathering steam, however, after winning the California primary. He was considered somewhat of an interloping dark horse to that point. He entered the race late. I think he'd have had a better chance as the Democratic nominee had LBJ remained in the race.

This is all considering the less-than-certain possibility that Kennedy would have been nominated in 1968. Or then, elected. It seems that his campaign was gathering steam, however, after winning the California primary. He was considered somewhat of an interloping dark horse to that point. He entered the race late. I think he'd have had a better chance as the Democratic nominee had LBJ remained in the race.

Right.

We don?t know that he would have been elected.

But Surhan Surhan made that impossible.

EDIT: I guess I misspelled the name. It?s Sirhan Sirhan.

And after all this time, too.

Last edited:
Right.

We don?t know that he would have been elected.

But Surhan Surhan made that impossible.

That next day was a dark day in my 5th grade class; amplified by the pall that still hovered over us from MLK's killing two months earlier. I was responsible for hoisting and lowering the flag every day it flew at half-staff for most all of April, part of May, and the last seven days we were in school from June 5.

looks like Villanueva might be LA's version of Joe Arpaio (link). creating an investigation unit solely to go after your political enemies is not a good look.

The county DA even said this publicly, which... yikes:
George Gasc?n, the county?s district attorney, decided he wanted nothing to do with the unit after sheriff?s officials proposed the two agencies create a task force to collaborate on public corruption investigations.

?He?s only targeting political enemies,? Gasc?n told The Times about Villanueva. ?It was obvious that was not the kind of work I wanted to engage in, so we declined.?

Shortly after Gasc?n refused to partner with the Sheriff?s Department, Villanueva came out as a strong supporter of a recall campaign to kick the district attorney out of office.

more on who this unit is investigating:
The unit, named the Civil Rights and Public Integrity Detail, has pursued a long-running investigation into one of Villanueva?s most vocal critics, L.A. County Inspector General Max Huntsman, and others despite sheriff?s officials being told by the FBI and state law enforcement officials that it appeared no crimes had been committed, a senior sheriff?s official said.

The team also has an open criminal inquiry into a nonprofit that is run by a member of a county board that oversees the sheriff and is associated with county Supervisor Sheila Kuehl, both of whom have clashed fiercely with Villanueva and called for his resignation.

Concern over the team has caused consternation both inside and outside the department. Even the union representing rank-and-file deputies put out a warning that a member of the detail was using ?unconventional tactics? to question deputies.​

It's possible everyone else is corrupt, and that's why they're all going after Villanueva. I'm open to discussing!

looks like Villanueva might be LA's version of Joe Arpaio (link). creating an investigation unit solely to go after your political enemies is not a good look.

The county DA even said this publicly, which... yikes:
George Gasc?n, the county?s district attorney, decided he wanted nothing to do with the unit after sheriff?s officials proposed the two agencies create a task force to collaborate on public corruption investigations.

?He?s only targeting political enemies,? Gasc?n told The Times about Villanueva. ?It was obvious that was not the kind of work I wanted to engage in, so we declined.?

Shortly after Gasc?n refused to partner with the Sheriff?s Department, Villanueva came out as a strong supporter of a recall campaign to kick the district attorney out of office.

more on who this unit is investigating:
The unit, named the Civil Rights and Public Integrity Detail, has pursued a long-running investigation into one of Villanueva?s most vocal critics, L.A. County Inspector General Max Huntsman, and others despite sheriff?s officials being told by the FBI and state law enforcement officials that it appeared no crimes had been committed, a senior sheriff?s official said.

The team also has an open criminal inquiry into a nonprofit that is run by a member of a county board that oversees the sheriff and is associated with county Supervisor Sheila Kuehl, both of whom have clashed fiercely with Villanueva and called for his resignation.

Concern over the team has caused consternation both inside and outside the department. Even the union representing rank-and-file deputies put out a warning that a member of the detail was using ?unconventional tactics? to question deputies.​

It's possible everyone else is corrupt, and that's why they're all going after Villanueva. I'm open to discussing!

Everything Gascon says, the opposite is what?s right.

Bingo. They?re not his enemies - it?s the other way around. Villanueva is their enemy.

Everything Gascon says, the opposite is what?s right.

Bingo. They?re not his enemies - it?s the other way around. Villanueva is their enemy.

Well, unlike police, attorneys have ethical obligations to be truthful. I know, I know, you heard this one lawyer joke one time... but if Gascon is lying, he could get sanctioned or even suspended by the CA bar.

If Villanueva is lying, nothing will happen to him. Other cops might even buy him a beer.

Well, unlike police, attorneys have ethical obligations to be truthful. I know, I know, you heard this one lawyer joke one time... but if Gascon is lying, he could get sanctioned or even suspended by the CA bar.

If Villanueva is lying, nothing will happen to him. Other cops might even buy him a beer.

I didn?t say Gascon is lying.

I said he?s wrong.

He?s wrong about everything.

Gascon defeated a pretty good incumbent DA in Jackie Lacey, specifically running on a pro criminal, anti-victim, anti-law-enforcement, pro-crime agenda.

He didn?t lie about it at all.

Unfortunately people weren?t paying attention to him.

Lacey had prosecuted a number of bad cops, but she made some decisions not to prosecute a few cops who had been charged with crimes when she felt there wasn?t sufficient evidence to get a conviction.

It was at the height of the George Floyd events, and the woke mob jumped on the Gascon.

Gascon was and is wrong about everything.

But he didn?t and doesn?t lie about it.

Gonna take a chance here and go on record saying this doesn't actually make LAUSD schools safer. I believe it will actually make them worse both in terms of safety and academic performance. Anyone care to take the other side of that bet?

Last edited:
Gonna take a chance here and go on record saying this doesn't actually make LAUSD schools safer. I believe it will actually make them worse both in terms of safety and academic performance. Anyone care to take the other side of that bet?

If you think "more cops = less crime" and also that's because cops are out there doing their jobs diligently, I think you watch too much TV.

If you think "more cops = less crime" and also that's because cops are out there doing their jobs diligently, I think you watch too much TV.

if you think "less cops = less crime" and also that's because cops are the problem, I think you're a moron.

This time of year I watch less than 6 hours of TV a week on average and it's only that high because 4 of them are MSU football. That may change when I start binge watching the new season of Narcos Mexico, which will probably only affirm my belief that taking cops out of LAUSD schools will make them less safe - you know since it's a cop show.

Last edited:
if you think "less cops = less crime" and also that's because cops are the problem, I think you're a moron.

This time of year I watch less than 6 hours of TV a week on average and 4 of them are MSU football. That may change when I start binge watching the new season of Narcos Mexico, which will probably only affirm my belief that taking cops out of LAUSD schools will make them less safe - you know since it's a cop show.

just got done watching it last night. Pretty good, as usual. I guess this is the last season. :argh:

Democratic policies turning America into a shit hole. Vote Republican or Independent, the (D) is no longer even a consideration these aren't the D's you grew up with, those D's can be reasoned with. today's D's have gone completely insane.

Democratic policies turning America into a shit hole. Vote Republican or Independent, the (D) is no longer even a consideration these aren't the D's you grew up with, those D's can be reasoned with. today's D's have gone completely insane.

Pot...meet kettle

Pot...meet kettle

Depends on your definition of insane. Mine would include things like supporting de-funding law and order movements at which any sane person would know that will lead to the complete breakdown of society, while yours includes things like having a problem with tyrannical forced inoculation gubmit and listening to people like Alex Jones, ones mans trash is another mans...

https://youtu.be/HsIH0V9RI9Q

Back